PDA

View Full Version : 1974 ATC 90 no spark

NJPCRX
07-31-2014, 05:47 PM
I assembled my atc-90 finally and it won't start. I don't know anything about this bike but I'm an Aircraft electrician basically. I bought all the missing pieces off ebay cause it was missing a few. First funny thing is my wiring harness(ebay) has a blue wire that goes into the headlight bucket, but its not in the diagram. The diagram shows the blue wire comming out of the headlight bulb socket to not be connected. I bought a "good" coil off ebay too. The bike has a good ground. I never took the engine apart or anything, but I adjusted the points, timing and tappets according to the manual. It has a brand new properly gapped plug. I cleaned the magnet with a dremel fine grinding stone till it was clean. I could not get the stator out, but I stuck a piece of sandpaper in between every little winding and cleaned it best I could. First thing I looked at is the stator wiring. The wires are shorted together and to ground. I also get no voltage from it when I pull the string with the wires not connected. Help. The wiring diagram is a bit odd and not like an AC-130H Gunship diagram like i'm used to, lol.

NJPCRX
08-10-2014, 11:41 PM
are you kidding. I havn't checked this cause I was in the process of moving. I expected a few replies at least

coolpool
08-11-2014, 11:49 AM
are you kidding. I havn't checked this cause I was in the process of moving. I expected a few replies at least

Easy nj, it's summer and the traffic is slower this time of year.

First off, did the trike ever run? This may sound dumb, but if you've wired it according to the manual, your headlight switch must be in the 'I' or 'II' position for it to run. Please tell me there's a condenser attached to the coil?The blue wire doesn't do anything if I can remeber off hand. If the first solution didn't work, try unscrewing the spark plug boot and clip a 1/4" of wire off and thread back on. You could also disconnect the black and green wire from your kill switch to rule that out. Let me know how things go.