PDA

View Full Version : ATC 110 Stripped Cam Tensioner Adjusting Bolt

natenkiki2004
08-02-2014, 03:29 PM
I just went to adjust the cam chain on my 83 ATC 110 and noticed the nut and bolt spin freely in the hole. In fact, the bolt slides in/out freely. When I removed it, I saw the threads had crumbled and came out in a few drops of oil.

What can I do to fix this? Would it be possible to drill and tap for a next size up? I really don't want to have to split the crankcase. :(

natenkiki2004
08-05-2014, 08:08 PM
For anyone else that happens to come across this, I'm in the process of fixing this with help from the local auto parts store. I had to remove the cam chain adjuster, spring and rod. Then drill out the hole that the "tensioner adjusting bolt" goes into, tap it for the next size up which is 8mm. Then get a stud, cut a slot in it, and a nut to fit the stud. Now, there's an o-ring on the tensioner adjusting bolt that prevents oil from coming out. I'll probably end up having to use a gasket on the nut that goes on the stud but with the chain tensioner rod in place and the tensioner adjusting bolt tight, not much oil should come out even without an o-ring or gasket.

I'll post pics when I get this done.