PDA

View Full Version : please help im stumped .honda big red 200es

tkaleshire
08-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Hey guys ive got a 1984 200es it will start and run at idle and will rev but put it in gear and go .but at little less than half throttle it starts cutting out but doesn't die .this is what ive done so far ...taken carb all apart and cleaned , cleaned out tank, new air filter , new plug, changed fuel and fuel line, adjusted down the throttle needle too . Im just stumped . The thing runs good intell you open up the throttle ......big red hasnt been abused either . Could the exhaust be plugged ?
Thanks for the help

coolpool
08-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Try raising your needle, sounds like your starving it a bit. Better to have a sooty black plug than a white one. I'm glad to see you've done some some troubleshooting on your own up to this point, hat's off to you. Doesn't happen all the time.

tkaleshire
08-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Coolpool
just tryed that made it worse . I ordered a new zoom carb friday hopefully it will fix it
thinking that the top of the jet is just worn out .the old plug i took out wasn't white "lean" it was blackish

mster2000
08-04-2014, 01:39 PM
try the spark advancer under the cdi cover. when I pulled mine off the springs were off and chewed to pieces. you cant buy new springs, you might find a used unit on ebay, that's what I did. I was thinking of selling the springs, now that I know their specs. let me know if anyone needs them. and since I documented every bolt on the 200es frame during its restore, I was also thinking of selling a full stainless steel bolt kit for most of the bolts on the frame.

muthey
08-04-2014, 01:49 PM
have you checked for cracks on your intake boot a common counter measure to a cracked intake boot is to start richening the fuel mix when they crack, which doesn't solve the problem at all. you might also want to start checking your valves and definitely the pulse generator. I would also replace the spark plug with a new one and see what color the spark is a week spark can cause loss of power at a higher demand for it it.

danbur55
08-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Lift up the airbox lid to see if that helps my 82 200e did the same without lid runs great finally got dirt dauber nest out with auto manual choke cable and air blower with copper line attached poking all the way up backbone from inlet tube by airbox good luck. That is if 84 gets air from that area

250esBigRojo
08-04-2014, 04:58 PM
It sounds like a choke problem. I have a 250es and it has a choke lever below the electric start button. If you cleaned the carb out really well then I would bet money that your choke is on.

shortline10
08-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Look up a 1996 xr200 the advancer springs are the same and available new threw Honda ...... $2.71 each ......
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1996/XR200R+A/IGNITION+PULSE+GENERATOR/parts.html

try the spark advancer under the cdi cover. when I pulled mine off the springs were off and chewed to pieces. you cant buy new springs, you might find a used unit on ebay, that's what I did. I was thinking of selling the springs, now that I know their specs. let me know if anyone needs them. and since I documented every bolt on the 200es frame during its restore, I was also thinking of selling a full stainless steel bolt kit for most of the bolts on the frame.

tvpierce
08-04-2014, 07:40 PM
I had a similar problem with my '84 ES. It turned out to be a plugged muffler-- funny because there were 3 extra holes in it (rust and/or "modifications" by a previous owner). BTW: KBonly also had the same experience with his.
Not saying the muffler is definitely you're problem, but certainly worth checking.

Quick, easy, free test: take the muffler off and try running it with just the header. It will be louder than sin, but you're just doing it for diagnostic purposes. If it runs better, you've found your problem. If not, you can look elsewhere.

Good luck.

Chopsaw
08-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Good ideas posted above , so i will throw in the gas cap . Make sure the gas cap vent is not plugged , or the cap bad . Try running it without the cap .

Chop .

tkaleshire
08-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Thanks for all the help...the new carb came today and put it on it does run a little better but still won't run right .i started to pull the exhaust off but its stuck between the pipe and the header . So ill have to pull the plastic off to take it all off then pull it apart .afraid ill brake something the way it is stuck. My boy and i stood it up on the backend last weekend and it got worse.this is the thinking it is in th exhaust

UFLBret
08-05-2014, 09:03 AM
One of my '84's was doing the same thing. It ran fine until I put a new gasket in on the gas cap since the original was cracked to the point it was leaking fuel onto the tank in rough terrain. As soon as I put a new gasket on the gas cap it started dying after a couple minutes when I was a WOT. I couldn't figure out why but after a couple minutes the tank would depressurize and I could start it right up again. I watched a vid on youtube of how to disassemble the tank cap and cleaned it out thoroughly and re-installed and haven't had a problem since. Free fix. Woot! I was pretty amazed at the amount of crud and rust inside that cap. In retrospect I should have let it soak in apple cider vinegar for a day before reassembling but I'll do that when I soak the tank after hunting season.