PDA

View Full Version : 1982 honda atc 185s carb problem

propertyof182
08-04-2014, 09:49 PM
I was riding my 185s today and on my way back from my ride in my yard the three wheeler stalled. I tried to pull start it a few times to no avail. I then realized that the drain plug on the bottom of the carburetor was pouring out gas. Now whenever I turn the petcock on gas just pours out of the bottom drain and I obviously cannot start it like that. Can anyone help me? Because I am new to three wheelers and carburetors. Thanks.

jb2wheels
08-04-2014, 10:06 PM
Generally, these carbs have a drain on the bowl with a screw to open and close the drain and 1 or 2 vents up higher on the side of the carb.

Which one is leaking?

If it's the drain, close the drain. If that doesn't work, it needs a new screw o-ring or bowl. If there's an o-ring. Not sure. Some do some don't I think.

If it's coming from a vent, your float needle is not closing - probably some crap in the needle/seat. My $$ is on this.
Take the carb apart and clean it. Put a filter on the fuel line. Old 185s tank probably has some rust or other junk in it. Clean the tank too.

Might need a new needle and seat.

Bren_downe
08-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Sounds like your floats are stuck. Give the carb a solid whack with the big end of a screw driver.

propertyof182
08-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys. All it took was some pounding on the carb with my mini hammer so I didn't have to take the carburetor off. I hope this isn't a reoccurring problem. Thanks again.