PDA

View Full Version : Any Harley owners here?

ditchmud
08-06-2014, 03:41 AM
Not my first bike, but my first Harley. I've been itching to get back on the road again and I finally bought a Harley. It's all new to me and I feel like an idiot. I've had so many Jap bikes, ATC, and ATVs but this all new. I've over revved it twice because I'm used to bikes that rev higher and the simplest tasks I have to figure out or ask help with. I didn't even know how to check the oil. It's all good now. I've bought an owners manual and a service manual on disk. It's just gonna take a bit of time to learn. This is the heaviest bike I've ever ridden at nearly 900lbs. but I love it. It is fun and is the most comfortable ride for me and the wife. She loves it too!

phantombiker
08-06-2014, 05:01 AM
Not my first bike, but my first Harley. I've been itching to get back on the road again and I finally bought a Harley. It's all new to me and I feel like an idiot. I've had so many Jap bikes, ATC, and ATVs but this all new. I've over revved it twice because I'm used to bikes that rev higher and the simplest tasks I have to figure out or ask help with. I didn't even know how to check the oil. It's all good now. I've bought an owners manual and a service manual on disk. It's just gonna take a bit of time to learn. This is the heaviest bike I've ever ridden at nearly 900lbs. but I love it. It is fun and is the most comfortable ride for me and the wife. She loves it too!

hey bro...i had a 79 1000 sportster and a 2006 sportster 1200 custom. both were fun as he!! to ride and i miss them. the 79 had original paint with amf still on the tank. the 06 was all chromed out and looked gorgeous. i had a chance to ride an ultra classic but turned it down cus i didnt want to chance wrecking a buddy's ride but it felt really balanced. what questions did u have bout it? i might be able to help. cool bike, bro!! if u need accessories go to blackjack.com. biker stuff at killer prices. thx, bro...mark

phantombiker
08-06-2014, 05:10 AM
p.s. nice classic bro...change the pipes...better fuel milage, power and torque. plus, loud pipes save lives!!! but, each bike is trailprotrailpro own to customise as u see fit. thats what makes each bike a custom and a part of you. enjoy your new ride bro!!! its pretty and dont forget trailprotrailpro helmet stickers...funny but a part of your personality...lol

IKE-Z
08-06-2014, 07:55 AM
Nice ride there!

oldskool83
08-06-2014, 08:29 AM
2006 sporty with 1200 kit...not much is stock anymore. I like the bike. Also came from a long list of japan sportbikes, I am not overlay impressed with the sporty as it is 500 some pounds, nothing like the fzr600, zx7r, gsx-r 750, CBR929rr or RC51 I use to have but it is slim, low and does 75mph fine. Being 30 I just felt it was time to get out of the 130+ hp sportbikes.

I will say, Harley could def save weight if they started making some items out of aluminum.

MRSOUND
08-06-2014, 11:35 AM
2012 Road Glide...smooth sailing on this baby. Let me know what questions you have. May be able to help ya out some

fabiodriven
08-06-2014, 07:48 PM
When I was a kid my buddy's dad got us an AMF Harley that had 400 miles on it. It was a 125cc two stroke that had spent it's entire life in somebody's living room. It was mint mint, so we took it in the woods and rode it like a dirt bike. That was my first Harley and it didn't last long.

My second Harley I still have and always will. It's a 2009 Buell XB12S Lightning that I got in 2011. Two more payments and it's officially mine. Prior to that I had a Triumph and a Ducati, both great bikes but far inferior to Eric's brainchild. The man is a genius. Take a look at a late model Buell if you ever get the chance, they're amazing.

Scootertrash
08-06-2014, 08:09 PM
I bought my 85 Low Rider new, wife rides a 99 Road King and she also has a 76 FLH which was her first bike (just like her Daddys) and is currently under the knife (or wrench, if you will).

oldskool: More parts out of aluminum? Like what? The crankcases, cylinders, heads, valve covers and transmission cases are all aluminum/magnesium. Some models have magnesium or aluminum wheels. There's not much left to make out of aluminum, or plastic for that matter. I'm willing to bet a majority of the Jap Harley clones weigh close to the same as comparable Harley models.

ditchmud
08-06-2014, 11:56 PM
I actually went to the dealership wanting a street glide. I never really considered a full dresser but the wife was much more comfortable on the bike with the tour pack and comfy seat, and when I found out that I can install a kit to remove the tour pack and change the seat I was sold. Now after having the tour pack I have no desire to remove it lol it's pretty darn handy.

oldskool83
08-07-2014, 08:52 AM
I was thinking like foot peg brackets, mine weight like 5lbs a piece per side and have 4 of them. Just stupid things that do not need to be made out of a chunk of cast iron. Other then that my bike is pretty stripped down.

jb2wheels
08-07-2014, 09:24 AM
... It's all new to me and I feel like an idiot. I've had so many Jap bikes, ATC, and ATVs but this all new. I've over revved it twice because I'm used to bikes that rev higher a ...

Never owned a Harley & only ridden a few and that's what I remember.

Back in my younger days (mid/late 90s) I was at Willow Springs for an AMA national road race (spectator not participant) and Buell was there offering test rides. I don't remember the model I rode but it had HD power not the newer Rotax engines. After years of riding GSXRs and Ducatis, all I remember about the Buell ride was I had to shift just as it started making some power. Just as it should have started to sing, I found the rev limiter.

I think partnering with HD was a good thing for Buell. Ending the relationship was an even better thing for Buell.

I good friend of mine recently bought a new bagger. I have no idea what model it is but it's some type of "SVO" bagger with a short fairing. Absolutely gorgeous but no way I'm paying that much for a bike with pushrods ever.

fabiodriven
08-07-2014, 10:07 AM
I've over revved it twice because I'm used to bikes that rev higher

After years of riding GSXRs and Ducatis, all I remember about the Buell ride was I had to shift just as it started making some power. Just as it should have started to sing, I found the rev limiter.

Thank you for reminding me JB as I meant to speak to this.

They certainly do rev very low. To me I compare it to a diesel engine or a tractor. I did the same thing as Ditch when I got it, I tried to rev it. The power seemed disappointing to me at that time, then I figured out where all the torque was, down low. You have to short shift it like a tractor trailer, but before you know it you're in 5th and things are whizzing by way too fast.

Outlaw #24
08-07-2014, 03:44 PM
:postwhore We Bought our Ultra Classic in April of 99 and I had never ridden a HD before ! Not that I hadn't had the opportunity because , I had ridden , Indians, a Vincent ( 2 different models ), dirt bikes OSSA , Pentons ext. I wanted the 1st time I ride a HD , for it to be Mine and not somebody else's! Anyway we rode it around and did a couple long excursions around Iowa. A buddy of mine overheard me Bragging about how I didn't even have a Motorcycle license and he said ," do you know if you had an accident even if it wasn't your fault , insurance won't pay your claim " ! So I only rode about 3 or 4 times in the next 4 or 5 years. I got my MC license a few years ago and have still only gotten to take it for a putt a couple of times each year until this year that is. Connie and I have been out on it several times this year actually since Trike Fest. People brag of how many mile they have put on there HD's ? Well I am Glad I saved it for now since I have retired ( sort of) because starting this year it only had 21,000 miles on it , it's still like new ( except for the ding from a grandchild and a scratch from my son a long time back) , and Connie and I like jumping on it in the AM and hauling ass for a few hours during the days of the work week . WE know You Both, ( Rich and Lisa ), will have some fun and good times on yours. Be Safe and enjoy, Ride to live and live to ride!198369 198370 198371

stoshu
08-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Had my 92 Ultra since around 2001. Stay away from the chrome rack at the dealership. HD does not stand for Harley Davidson. It stands for Hundred Dollars. Every piece imaginable can be upgraded to chrome. Hundred dollars here, hundred dollars there. Easily wasted $10 000 on useless chrome. Chrome doesn't make you faster. Chaps are only for rain and gay bars. Enjoy your new found freedom.

fabiodriven
08-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Chrome don't getcha home!

90guy
08-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Nice bike thats for sure. I have been pricing out and keeping an eye out for a bike I want. Looking for an older V-rod 06> Cant wait to own a bigger bike. So cramped up on my midnight Maxim

ditchmud
08-08-2014, 02:18 AM
Had to take it back today for radio issues. The speaker would just go mute for whatever reason and I would have to turn the radio off and back on for it to work for however long until it did it again. Did some reading on line. I guess it's a common issue. It's covered by the warranty so it's all good. We went for a ride this morning before I dropped it off. We went to HELL! Hell, Mi lol! Did you know that you can get ice cream, a cold beer, a souvenir T shirt and play put put golf in Hell?! Lmao

Took my daughter along! She likes the bike as much as Mom and they fight over who gets to ride with me lol!

deathman53
08-09-2014, 08:57 PM
I have a 78 sportster. Bought from original owner, 13,000 miles. its not original anymore, bigger gas tank, better headlight, new rear shocks, new ignition(not old tech), new carb, new clutch, kick start conversion and next is new generator(alternator). ALso gotta re-do the drum rear brakes. I don't like the 4 speed tranny about it, otherwise its great. Like alot of harleys, brakes are poor when working at their best.

tripledog
08-14-2014, 10:07 PM
Here's mine. It is the machine that is not pulling the hay wagon. Some of my friends call it a Skirtster. Well then, put me in heels and call me Nancy! I love this old bike.

Scootertrash
08-15-2014, 10:56 PM
Nice Sportster Nancy! ;)

tripledog
08-15-2014, 11:03 PM
Nice Sportster Nancy! ;)

That's MISS Nancy to you, thank you very much!

phantombiker
10-29-2014, 04:21 AM
That's MISS Nancy to you, thank you very much!

i had an 06 sportster custom and i loved it!!

ditchmud
10-29-2014, 05:14 AM
I've added a set of highway pegs and new windshield. I'm really loving the bike. Too bad winter is on the way.