PDA

View Full Version : yamaha Ytm225dxl wont start

Wheelierider3
08-06-2014, 10:05 PM
Hi someone in my area is selling a yamaha 225dxl for $500. It comes with a whole bunch of extra stuff(including spare fenders that aren't cracked). The guy says that it wont start, and needs a tune up. But, when I started talking to him and asked about the issues, he said that when he tried to pull start it, it wouldnt turn over. He says that there is a safety between electric start and the pull rope that you have to switch. Is that the compression release? Is this a good deal? Can this thing run without doing major work? I'm supposed to meet with him saturday to get it, but will back out if its a bad deal.

jakep53
08-07-2014, 05:52 AM
when you pull the rope it should turn over the decomp just makes it easier to start so if it doesn't turn over it might be seized

Wheelierider3
08-07-2014, 11:26 AM
that's what I was thinking. So is it worth getting if it is seized, or should I pass on this deal

jb2wheels
08-07-2014, 12:21 PM
For $500, it has to run. For $50, it's worth taking a risk.

Wheelierider3
08-07-2014, 01:43 PM
how is this machine as far as riding goes. is the suspension good? does it have good power. I own an ltz 400 and that has alot of power and I dont want another machine if it wont have good power to have fun

jb2wheels
08-07-2014, 03:14 PM
I have no personal 225 or LTZ experience but I'm pretty sure you'll be disappointed jumping off the LTZ onto the 225.

muthey
08-08-2014, 02:43 AM
A good running 225 has plenty of power comparable to it's size in cc's, but you can't expect it to have anything near what the 400 has. Also if you have money to burn and the bike is cosmetically in great shape, I would offer half of what he is asking unless he can get it to start. There is no safety between elec and pull start, and the big questions are is the starter locked engaged or is the piston seized, if you do go to look at it shift it in to fourth or fifth gear you shift up to go up in gears on these, and try push starting it if the motor is seized it will not move, if the electric start is stuck engaged it will move but you'll hear some grinding. don't push too much no need to really break something or strain yourself. If you do decide to get it, and can make a decent deal on it let me know I have a good bottom end and can help you with the parts you might need to repair it. Brandon

czac
08-08-2014, 04:42 PM
theres no "Safety" , just the decompress switch. if the electrical start system is working, see if the engine turns over, if not, hit the decompress lever on the head, and pull the rope, it should pull but take a little effort (this aint no 6 HP lawn mower...lol) if the rope don't pull, its either the engine is seized or the pull start is, if you can pull off the pull start, you can see if its seized. do you have a 12 v battery you can bring to jump it with? honestly, for $500.00 if it don't run its not worth it. but then again, I don't know how easy it is to get a trike in your area or what they are priced at. if the rest is in perfect shape like the rear end gears are good and the axle isn't bent, also check the front forks and handle bars to see if they are bent, look at the foot pegs too, if they are bent, it may have been rolled before, if it has been rolled the forks or rear axle might be bent. mine was rolled once, before I bought it, the axle was bent ($100.00 for a new one of ebay) forks were bent ($99.00 Tri Z forks off ebay) handle bars were shot but it came with extra ones... foot pegs were bent to hell as well. if the motor is seized and the cylinder walls are still good and not scratched or gouged, If you can hone it out clean and pop in a new piston and rings fairly cheaply. maybe by sinking 200.00-250.00 bucks into a $500.00 machine will render you a $1000.00-$1200.00 machine when done. it all depends on how it looks. if everythings mint but it wont turn over... who knows? bring tools with you.