PDA

View Full Version : Honda Lawn Tractors

OKSTATE#1
08-09-2014, 01:48 AM
My parents bought a 3813 Honda Lawn Tractor the same year they bought me a new Big Red (1985). That little guy mowed their 5 acres like a champ, and it was a rough 5 acres, not a nice manicured lawn. Dust would get kicked up, sticks would get sucked into the bagger, and we would replaced air filter after air filter. But....it survived all that and ended up being my mower after I bought my own home late on about 10 years ago. Sadly, I moved around a lot after that and ended up selling the little Honda about 3-4 years ago. I think I'm about to buy another I found in great shape....anyone else have any experience with these? Honda priced themselves out of the market on these, but they were really nice back in the day. I think it's still a nice mower.

atc007
08-09-2014, 07:14 AM
But of course lol.. I have a Harmony we bought new. Simple lil 13 HP.. Mowed circles around a Craftsman 18 twin,and a old 12HP Suburban,and a Deere. I bought my brother a big liquid last year from a former Honda dealer.. I think it is a 3813..I'll have to check today! Bullet proof,smooth as liquid. Simply an amazing machine. I'm actually looking into getting me a Big ol Ferris atm... Was gonna go with a 72 IN 3100 late model used,,and save almost half off retail..But,through an OLD 3 wheel racer,I've stumbled onto a Caterpillar 3 cyl 72,completely serviced,,yeah,I do that,,but it's already done..!:)..Do I NEED a cat,,heck no,,but the price on this one is a quarter of new....School owned and 100% dealer serviced..I already slept on it lol,,now it's time to decide.. Fun shopping :) Sounds like by next week the Big Reds will have a shiny sister :)

coolpool
08-09-2014, 12:35 PM
I had a 9 hp, 30" single blade riding lawn mower years ago. That thing had so much lift nothing was safe in the grass, and it fit through most gates at 30" wide. I think it was a 90 or 91 model? It was pricey even used but was the right tool for the job. I would definitely buy another if the yard work warranted it. I wish you luck with your decision.

roostin atc
08-12-2014, 09:56 AM
I have a 1993 2130 Honda tractor. It was handed down to me when I bought my first house. I grew up mowing with it, we never had one problem with it over the years. The only issue I see with them is they are slow.(or at least I thought mine was) They are a very well built machine as most Hondas are.

tx200m
08-20-2014, 10:11 AM
I had a 3810 that still had original tires on it. It did an OK job, but it was kinda hard to work on, parts were expensive. Parts for them have been discontinued by Honda. I sold it when it started smoking.

OKSTATE#1
09-25-2014, 08:55 PM

So I ended up buying the mower after all. I actually got it a month ago. Its a 4514, bagger, mulching kit, and completely restored deck. Paid $900 for it.

I just bought a new set of original OEM Ohtsu rear tires for it, just because....well, if any of you have seen my three wheelers you would know why lol. I am nut about having original things. Kinda...my seat isn't original on this mower, but I didn't want to mess with the old ones, they fall apart pretty easy. BTW, lots of parts still available for this particular model. I have started buying up a few parts that I want to have around before they end up on ebay for tons of cash like the big red parts. I have seen quite a few people going after these old Honda mowers lately, I am sure that since I have decided to get into this that it will become the next big thing and then I will be fighting every one for parts.....seems like I have a knack for catching things on the "high" (and selling them on the "low")......yeesh

Also, I really wanted a 5518, but thats a pipe dream. For starters I don't need it for my current yard...but if you don't know what one looks like, just go type in honda 5518 lawn tractor. Its the sexiest lawn tractor I have ever seen lol. I really don't think anyone makes anything even close to that nice except for maybe Kubota, and I would have to say that's a maybe in that category of tractor. I own two Kubotas, and they are awesome, but that 5518 is just unbelievable.

czac
10-07-2014, 02:23 PM
I have a craftsman I hate... lol no matter what I do it seems to leave a strip of lawn that doesn't get cut. I tried new blades, I tried three different types of blades, I tried leveling the deck, I tried a new belt... I think its just a design flaw... I just cant figure out of its the lawn being pushed down by the front tires then not popping back up and being cut in time when the blades pass over it or if there's a space between the blades where they don't cut the grass... its a real PITA to have to only use half of the tractors 46" cutting width because its not cutting right.