PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my 84 200s..

Domi
08-10-2014, 09:17 PM
I need some advice on my 84 200s. Today I went to clean the carb, and adjust my valves, cam chain etc. I pulled the carb off cleaned all the jets, put it back together and back on the bike. Then I adjusted the valves and cam chain. Put everything back together and when I started the bike, it started to idle really high. When you turn the idling screw it does nothing. You turn it back and the bike still idles like its wide open. So what can be causing that??? I rode the bike all day yesterday and it ran fine today I decided to clean the carb and now the idling is out of whack and can't adjust it.

cwolfe
08-11-2014, 12:20 PM
hey it sounds like either you have a air leak between the carb and the motor or it could be the main jet/ throttle control plunger did not seat correctly when you went to install the throttle control back in very common mistake and it would cause it to run high. check that first to see if it is seating all the way down and the guide pin and idle screw are in there correct grooves on the plunger.

Cornholio
08-11-2014, 06:47 PM
My money is on that your throttle slide is backwards in your carb.

ironchop
08-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Stuck throttle slide (from either being in backwards or cable issue)

Everyone here has put a throttle slide in backwardsat least twice including myself

350for350
08-15-2014, 10:29 PM
I found out the hard way about the backwards slide once. I didn't realize that it was still gear. I was lucky enough to have a good grip on the handlebars at the time. We both went in about four circles before I could reach across and hit the kill switch. Had some nice circles with no grass in them in the yard until the next spring, too.

kb0nly
08-31-2014, 12:27 PM
If its not the throttle slide its probably the o-ring on the front of the carb that seals to the intake, that o-ring gets hardened with age and won't seal back up after removing it. Just go to your local auto parts store and size one up, an air leak there will do what you describe as well as it will be running lean.

zRxsix3
09-02-2014, 02:45 PM
It sounds like the throttle slide, i have done this myself on a dirt bike

socs28
09-03-2014, 07:09 PM
I'll add one more, sounds like a stuck throttle to me.

86125m
09-03-2014, 07:14 PM
throttle slide is backwards.