PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Yamaha 175 trimoto

Dirt Biker
08-12-2014, 10:05 AM
I was told by a repair shop that my clutch went out. I bought a clutch kit on ebay. I'd like to try to fix it myself and have the manual with photos, but it doesn't show how to get started. What side is the clutch on? How do I start. Does anyone have a repair manual for this machine I could get?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ghostv2
08-12-2014, 12:10 PM
The right side. Opposite of the pull start side. Should be like a plastic cover. But I never owned a ytm175.

generallee2005
08-12-2014, 09:20 PM
It is on the right, disconnect the rear brake pedal & get it out of the way. Open up the cover for the oil injection, disconnect the throttle cable & pull it out of the case & get it out of the way. At this point I'll tip the machine on its side & take the right tire off, this keeps the clutch balls from falling out later & makes it easier for me. Remove the plate that has the oil filler, its got six 10mm bolts, loosen the locknuts on the stud in the middle behind the cover. Then take them off, then remove the three 10mm bolts that are on the housing & pull that piece out & set all that to the side. Then loosen the housing for the clutch, its got maybe 6-8 phillips head screws all around, one behind the brake rotor & one inside the oil injector cover, take your time here & use lots of lube! Then pull the cover off & set it somewhere safe, don't forget to clean all the housings & plates for the new gaskets you've got with you. Then there's your clutch, pop the retention spring out & go at it. Check your manual closely, there is a certain thickness that all the clutch plates have to make up. I had to buy a few new metal plates & use some new & some ould if I remember right to get the right thickness. The manual will tell you all that good information, installation is the opposite at removal. The lock nuts will take a little adjustment, tighten the first nut until finger tight & then tighten the locknut down tight, that should get you in the ballpark there.