PDA

View Full Version : Rolling coal?

tripledog
08-12-2014, 09:36 PM
This is about the most moronic trend I have seen as of late.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/could-rolling-coal-become-illegal-nj-downside-diesel-123450102.html

manbearpig
08-12-2014, 09:57 PM
doesnt happen here in CA... cuz the dude in the Prius is a way bigger, stronger, gayer, gym rat and is far more intimidating then your beer belly in your Ferd F-teen fifty

6speedthumper
08-12-2014, 11:46 PM
We have this very problem where I live. A bunch of a-holes with more money then brains, that lift their diesels, and "roll coal" whenever they get the chance. I understand that diesels have come a LONG way since they were first introduced in passenger cars, and trucks, back in the early 80's. And, as such, it is ridiculous the amount of power you can obtain from them. Along with that power comes great, pluming, billowing, engulfing, clouds of smoke. It is not necessary to be a moe-tard, and cover anyone you choose in soot. Was really funny when they blasted the cyclists. It'll be even more funny when one of those "sooted" cyclists, crashes head first into something/someone because of some jackas$ in a jacked up, coal rollin, pig of a truck, and said truck driver is slapped with a hefty fine. Although someone may get hurt, I'd just point at that moron "coal roller" and laugh my white azz off at his foolishness. Can't tell I have a real distaste for these retards, now can you? HAHAHA!!! I mean no offense to those that are diesel freaks.

On a side note; I must admit I have rolled coal myself. But, I'm not a total hypocrite. I rolled coal right onto another "coal roller". Was taking a used Duramax on a test drive after an alignment (belonged to the dealer up the road, I do their alignments), and who do I see coming up behind me when I pull out on to the street? That's right, one of those idiots I see blasting past my shop's door, with a billowing cloud of smoke behind him. Seizing the opportunity to give him a taste of his own medicine, I ease out the clutch and allow him to get within 20' of my rear bumper. Once I had him where I wanted him, I nailed the throttle shooting nice fat clouds of coal onto his truck! I stomped the clutch and threw it into 2nd like I was going down the quarter mile, again sending soot all over his truck. Now, I do know the guy so I was "in the clear", and when I saw him a few days later I asked him how he liked getting "blacked out". His response, "I was like, dayum! Who's the new kid in town!?!" Really???? You get a chubby over that??? Strange new breed of "hot rodders" roaming the streets...

jb2wheels
08-13-2014, 12:08 AM
Not rolling coal but similar effect...

A few year back my dad and I built an FFR Cobra replica. It was 5.0 powered and had sidepipes with very little muffler.

I loved blipping the throttle at stoplights next to cars with the windows up and drivers yammering away on the phone. You could see the windows shake.

That car was AWESOME.

El Camexican
08-13-2014, 01:02 AM
Every bus in Mexico has been doing that for almost half a century. Ya'll are just starting to catch up to our high technology mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVOa3xhl0bg

SPD FRK
08-13-2014, 01:59 AM
Few cans of spray foam should fix 'em up good. Not much cloud coming from a blocked exhaust. Sorry for my biker attitude but sometimes instant karma needs a shove.

jakep53
08-13-2014, 07:16 AM
I would love to do this to all the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro cyclists that ride in the middle of the road like they own the place and all the kids that think their cool when they cut the springs so they can sag their ass on the ground and especially all the protestors.....I think its cool lol
but for now I'll just have to stick to water pistols mounted to the wing mirrors!!

oldskool83
08-13-2014, 07:42 AM
only reason to blow smoke is at a truck pull, besides that it's just people normally age 18-28 kids turning up the pumps. I bought a HEMI because diesels are overrated for 80% of people who need a truck.

6speedthumper
08-13-2014, 08:18 AM
only reason to blow smoke is at a truck pull, besides that it's just people normally age 18-28 kids turning up the pumps. I bought a HEMI because diesels are overrated for 80% of people who need a truck.

Thank you! Someone that shares my view point on diesels! Don't get me wrong diesel lovers, they are very nice machines, and certainly are worth the money. IF, that's a big IF, IF you are actually using them for their intended purpose. Like oldskool said, 80% of it dumbies that own them, don't need them one bit. I prefer my gasser over a diesel any day. Too many emission control devices, engine management, and electronics for my blood. Besides, when I compare apples to apples, I spend no more on gas in my 8.1 then they do in their diesels.

coolpool
08-13-2014, 08:50 AM
Lot's of those types in this neck of the woods. Kids working the rigs, buying 70k trucks and making them look like a 74 Pinto running rich. I like performance but that's not my way of showing it. What's with the idiots sticking there faces in the plume? I have a 5.9 cummins due to a 13k pound fifth wheel but she's stock; and it still stinks if in a restricted space. I don't get it.

fabiodriven
08-13-2014, 09:27 AM
I roll coal. I drove my truck for years bone stock, it's a 7.3. Anyone who is familiar knows that you can pull a house down with it, they have a ton of power, but they're almost dangerously slow for driving in Massachusetts. I installed some tunes in it about two months ago and now she gits right the frick up! Night and day difference would be an understatement. Yes it rolls coal but it moves the frig out. Anyone who knows me knows that I use my one ton truck. I usually break at least one leaf spring a year. I am a very eco friendly person with this being one of my only hiccups in that regard, my machines. Sob and hate me if you'd like to gents, I love my truck.

Joseph Farrow
08-13-2014, 09:37 AM
This is now the world we live in.

It's why I drive a Gas burning Chevy Silverado......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfHtcUZXljw

fabiodriven
08-13-2014, 09:58 AM
You drive a gas burning Chevy Silverado because you

A- Have no big loads to pull

B- Couldn't afford the diesel

C- Enjoy getting 12 miles per gallon

I drive a diesel and don't need to be associated with ignorant people so no need to generalize.

RapidRick
08-13-2014, 10:46 AM
7.3 PSD Stock 17mpg and no need for coal rollers

6speedthumper
08-13-2014, 11:43 AM
You drive a gas burning Chevy Silverado because you

A- Have no big loads to pull

B- Couldn't afford the diesel

C- Enjoy getting 12 miles per gallon

I drive a diesel and don't need to be associated with ignorant people so no need to generalize.

Not to be a dick (really I'm not), but, an 8.1 big block backed by an Allison will and does pull as good as a diesel. Have two of them in the family. Actually 3 including the 3500 van I bought specifically for the engine. However, I do feel that anyone that has anything less then a big torque big block probably doesn't have to pull much.

oldskool83
08-13-2014, 11:52 AM
16mpg all day long lifted in my hemi....most the guys with diesels I know are getting about the same or hair more, all of the guys I know don't haul a single thing. If I hauled more I would have a 30K cummins, not a 15K mint hemi.

this thread will turn into who's truck is better. I see it happening before my eyes and the post was not about that. It was about blowing smoke for no reason, you can tune a diesel up nice make power and gas milage and not blow smoke, sure they smoke a hair on start ups but nothing like that the real meaning of coal rolling is.

I hung out for years with kids on their trucks Friday nights, years later when I went back and see them hanging out all they do is romp on it at the gas stations to blow some, the older guys with money when the romp them move...no smoke.

That's my point.

fabiodriven
08-13-2014, 11:53 AM
If an 8.1 can pull like a diesel, which it might be able to around town but not on the highway, it's going to do it at sub 10 mpg figures. I'm around around 17k lbs loaded for Trikefest and an 8.1 is not going to climb hills at the speed I can, that's just a fact. If I'm wrong then please explain to me why literally every 3 car hauler on the back of a one ton and just about every fifth wheel hauler you see are powered by diesel. After all, the upfront cost of a diesel truck is thousands more and diesel fuel is more expensive as well, so why do we not all have giant gas engines? Answer- They flat out just do not pull as well. Ever wonder why tractor trailers are diesel?

hatc200x1
08-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Most of the guys on here that are complaining about it are just jealous haha. ;) Mine dont roll very much coal but maybe sense people make such a big deal out of it ill turn the pump up!!!!! :p

Proud owner of a 1996 7.3 powerstroke!!!

6speedthumper
08-13-2014, 02:58 PM
7.3 was a damn good engine. I'm not a Ford guy, so I'm glad it was an International engine, lol.

It's one thing to have some black smoke as a result of performance gains. It's another entirely when it's done to simply smoke people out, and be arrogant about it. Many of the truck "rolling coal" are because they need more, additional, fine tuning of engine, and more specifically, fuel management. A lot of guys just want the black smoke a rollin' so they leave it alone.

I have no problems with diesels personally, or with those "diesel freaks" if you will. To each his own. I myself am not into diesels, and prefer gassers.

fabiodriven
08-13-2014, 03:18 PM
I agree. They each have their place obviously, which is why it's your choice what you want to buy.

6speedthumper
08-13-2014, 05:57 PM
If an 8.1 can pull like a diesel, which it might be able to around town but not on the highway, it's going to do it at sub 10 mpg figures. I'm around around 17k lbs loaded for Trikefest and an 8.1 is not going to climb hills at the speed I can, that's just a fact. If I'm wrong then please explain to me why literally every 3 car hauler on the back of a one ton and just about every fifth wheel hauler you see are powered by diesel. After all, the upfront cost of a diesel truck is thousands more and diesel fuel is more expensive as well, so why do we not all have giant gas engines? Answer- They flat out just do not pull as well. Ever wonder why tractor trailers are diesel?

I missed this earlier. I'm not looking to get into a pi$$ing match. I have towed just as much weight as you have and pass people on hills with my 8.1. Yes, I certainly have had 17k on the back on my truck, it's not a guestimate. Just for curiosity's sake, when you say 17k loaded, do you mean combined truck and trailer weight? I have no troubles passing people going up hills, the truck doesn't run hot, it doesn't struggle to do it's job, etc... The truck is just a mule. Fun to drive, too. Sure, my mpg is not the best, however, it is very seldom under 10 with a load. And, being that gas is cheaper then diesel, I spend the same amount of money. I have caravanned with diesels before, up and down the east coast, and across the continent, they have not out pulled me. Whenever we stop for fuel, they may have a quarter tank more then I have.

Why do roll-backs, tow trucks, car haulers, etc... have diesels? They last longer. They are known for 400k + on the odometer before needing an overhaul. A gas engine, particularly one that works as hard as a diesel, will not last that long. They make their power differently, their internals are not as "beefy", and yes, they do not get the same fuel economy. Any of the above examples of diesel powered vehicles are more then likely used for commercial use. They are expected to run long hours, sometimes days on end before getting shut off, and covering long distances where their fuel economy and longevity over a gas engine is required/preferred. And for a commercial use vehicle, whatever savings you can get at the pump, even over the "long haul", is needed to turn a profit. Companies also want something to last as long as possible before needing major work, such as replacing an engine. Why replace a gas engine at 200k-250k (or more depending on care) when the diesel will easily go 400k without breaking a sweat? It's an easy decision from a management standpoint when you can get every bit of twice the life out of one engine compared to another.

They're each their own beast, making power differently. Sometimes that difference in power production is used for two completely different purposes. Sometimes that difference in power production is used for the exact same purpose. Sometimes that difference in power production is specifically designed for the exact same purpose. Much like a high rpm, screaming small block can be compared to a large displacement torque monster big block going down the 1/4 mile. They make their power in completely different rpm ranges, and use different methods/parts/set ups/etc to accomplish the same thing.

When my parents went looking for a new truck, they were looking at Duramaxes. Problem was they did not have 30k+ to spend on a truck. Their options? GM 6.0L LS series gas engine (great engine) with a 4l80e (great trans), or the 8.1L with the Allison. Guess which got the nod. It did help they got a great deal on the truck, lol. After having that truck for a year, having zero problems, always being satisfied, and seeing many friends and/or customers experiencing some problems with diesels of all 3 brands, we couldn't have been happier with the truck and it's performance. So happy, that when I turned 18, I bought myself my 8.1. Been an outstanding truck for the last 8.5 years. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Being a mechanic, I enjoy doing what little work my truck has needed over the years. It's simple to work on, fairly basic, not a maintenance monster like everyone thinks gassers are, and has no issues. I can honestly do without working on diesels, but that's my personal preference.

The 8.1 is a rare bird, I'll give it that. There are just not that many out there. However, I have not ever talked to an 8.1 owner that was not super pleased with the truck compared to other trucks in it's "weight class". I will say this, if I were to get into auto transportation, commercial hauling, or just did an insane amount of hauling, I'd invest in a Duramax. And, for the reasons I stated above about longevity.

Just to re-iderate, this is not a response to start a pi$$ing match- for ANYONE on the forum. I've heard enough battling over who makes the best truck, who has the best truck, and so on. Simply answering why I am such a big fan of the 8.1/Allison combo, and how it has compared to the diesels in the time I have owned it, and how I know it will continue to perform.

tripledog
08-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Holy thread derailment, Batman!

6speedthumper
08-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Holy thread derailment, Batman!

Yeah, no kidding!!! Lol. But hey it's par for the course!

tripledog
08-13-2014, 06:21 PM
^^^ No worries. I have no dog in this fight, as I drive a 2 wheel drive S10. It has a standard transmission, so it is good for zero to sixty in just three tries.

6speedthumper
08-13-2014, 08:08 PM
^^^ No worries. I have no dog in this fight, as I drive a 2 wheel drive S10. It has a standard transmission, so it is good for zero to sixty in just three tries.

Hey I love a square body s-10 ;)

fabiodriven
08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Type all you want, then go look at the trucks pulling heavy on the highway. Diesel, diesel, diesel...

6speedthumper
08-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Type all you want, then go look at the trucks pulling heavy on the highway. Diesel, diesel, diesel...

Yeah man, I get that. I'm not blind. Just remember that without a turbo, a diesel makes a fantastic boat anchor.

If you did read all that I typed, you'd have seen that I did say I would own a diesel if I was doing consistent, heavy hauling. I don't do that, so a diesel is a complete waste of my money. All that I am saying is; I have pulled, and will not hesitate to pull, a loaded trailer with 15-18k lbs on it, and the truck does hang with the diesels.

With the gas engines being produced today, they are not as conducive to use for towing really heavy loads like the diesels are. Certainly not for the amount of towing many diesels see, and are intended for(if they are actually being used). Most diesels make their max torque at, or a around, 1600rpm. Torque is what moves cars/trucks. The lower the rpm, the sooner things get to moving and with minimal effort for the engine. An engine that has a higher torque curve will work harder, and need to be revved harder to move the same load. Thus making that particular vehicle slow to accelerate with the same sized load. Even with lower gearing the "average" gas engine makes less torque then the turbo diesel and will still work harder.

All the current gas engines being produced by the big three, that are offered in their 2500-3500 line of trucks, all make less torque then the 8.1, and they all make that at 1000-1500 rpm HIGHER then the 8.1. They all make more horsepower, but that is not what gets them moving, and accelerating. Additionally, where torque ends horsepower begins, and keeps you moving. The RAM 6.4, Ford 6.2, and GM 6.0 make there peak horsepower every bit of 1000rpm HIGHER then the 8.1. The 8.1 makes it's peak torque and horsepower between 3000-4300 rpms. Although this is roughly 1400-1550 rpm HIGHER then that of a diesel's peak torque curve it is still considered to be very low for a gasser. Although it makes less torque then that of a diesel, it's low rpm torque curve with a 4.10 rear (as mine has) helps to give it it's "diesel like" towing capability. And, since the engine doesn't have to turn high rpms to get into it's torque curve, and subsequently horsepower band(4300 is low for peak hp), it does not have to work near as hard as many of the gasoline engines being offered today, or that which was made during the 8.1's production run. Having the Allison behind it helps matters all the more.

Is it a diesel, no, certainly not. Is at as close to a diesel as you can get without going diesel, yes, it was made for towing. Will it last as long as a diesel doing the same amount of work, no, it was not intended to go 400k+ miles of torture (although I'm betting I can get 275k or more with how well I maintain mine). Will a diesel out accelerate it from a stand still, of course, the diesel does make anywhere from 70-350 lbft more torque (diesels within the last 13 years). But is that to say that it won't hang with them, no. If it's not then it's either been neglected or the driver needs to learn how to keep it in it's torque curve and powerband. Do that and it'll eat up hills.

Reason for editing: had to correct my bonehead mistake lol

tripledog
08-13-2014, 11:33 PM
You guys need to stay on point and keep your face out of the exhaust plumes. Just kidding! But I do believe that it would be less confrontational to insult one of your family members than your truck. It is just a freakin' truck, even if it is NOT built of big dicks and tornadoes... Tough crowd!

6speedthumper
08-13-2014, 11:49 PM
You guys need to stay on point and keep your face out of the exhaust plumes. Just kidding! But I do believe that it would be less confrontational to insult one of your family members than your truck. It is just a freakin' truck, even if it is NOT built of big dicks and tornadoes... Tough crowd!

To keep this thread somewhat on track, does anyone other then me get a headache from diesel exhaust? Soot or no soot? It, and sometimes diesel fuel will give me a killer headache. Anyone ever smell the exhaust of a diesel running bio? Smells like French fries! Kid you not if you haven't smelt one on bio. You'd swear you had just passed a Burger King... Now I'm hungry again. lol

El Camexican
08-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Oh you silly kids. Back in my day there were a lot more entertaining things to "roll and smoke" that Diesel trucks and we never argued this much about whose was better.

tripledog
08-14-2014, 12:01 AM
Oh you silly kids. Back in my day there were a lot more entertaining things to "roll and smoke" that Diesel trucks and we never argued this much about whose was better.

Probably because you forgot what you were arguing about. They say short term memory is first affected, and then, umm, some other stuff.

Dirtcrasher
08-14-2014, 12:01 AM
I roll coal. I drove my truck for years bone stock, it's a 7.3. Anyone who is familiar knows that you can pull a house down with it, they have a ton of power, but they're almost dangerously slow for driving in Massachusetts. I installed some tunes in it about two months ago and now she gits right the frick up! Night and day difference would be an understatement. Yes it rolls coal but it moves the frig out. Anyone who knows me knows that I use my one ton truck. I usually break at least one leaf spring a year. I am a very eco friendly person with this being one of my only hiccups in that regard, my machines. Sob and hate me if you'd like to gents, I love my truck.

You are well aware that I love EVERYTHING about your rig as well!!!!!!!

6speedthumper
08-14-2014, 12:04 AM

Those "things" are still here, yay! They just started to "roll and smoke" the trucks for a different "ride" ;)

big specht
08-14-2014, 06:33 AM
He'll back in the day the kids rolled tire smoke today that not as cheap

oldskool83
08-14-2014, 08:18 AM
Told you this thread would go off couse...I think its about time for the open forum to be shut down. would save pissing matchs...each.

1980 power wagon YEE HAW!

fabiodriven
08-14-2014, 09:49 AM
I don't have to argue which is why I'm not bothering. The last long post about which was better still says I'm right. I'm not always right, but everyone knows diesels are for towing.

Diesel exhaust obviously stinks. Just the other day I was behind a non turbo 7.3 (I can identify some diesel engines by the smell of their exhaust, commercial truck inspector of 5 years) and that thing smelled awful. They smell a lot better when they're rolling coal in my opinion. When I was in Iraq, the tractor trailer I drove was obviously diesel, but it was old so it didn't have a turbo. Not only that, but we hauled and handled diesel fuel as we were hauling tankers. To make matters worse, in one camp I was in early on they used to spray the roads down with fuel in order to combat the dust. All of this diesel subjection in various forms, oh and the exhaust stack came out of the side of the hood forward of the cab of the truck so hold your breath for 12 hours, led to intense migraines at the end of each mission for at least the last month I was there. I really had to push it to make it through. After that experience, I do everything in my power to keep the hell away from diesel fuel and fumes. It is nasty stuff.

One thing rolling coal is extremely handy for- tailgaters. I have a stack on my truck that is positioned perfectly to roll any nitwits that may dare to follow too closely. It works great for that.

6speedthumper
08-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Well, I never said that diesels aren't made for towing. If anything, I only further "solidified" that they are indeed intended for towing. Said I would own one myself if I did more towing. But, to say that a gas engine that was built for towing cannot "hang" with what has become the vehicle of choice, isn't necessarily correct. They both do the same job, just differently. Which again has been stated in this now far off topic thread. I just cannot help but to state my opinion when my first hand experiences go completely against what was stated by someone else. About anything, I may add. I have used diesels for towing before (worked for a company that ran diesels and I drove one everyday, with a 34' gooseneck loaded with equipment) so I do have experience with both powerplants.

And yeah, Fabio, diesel fumes and fuel can be some really nasty stuff indeed! You must not get many tailgaters when towing either, with that stack. Now that must be truly nice. Nothing worse then towing a big, heavy load, and some jerk is right up your rear!

czac
08-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Id love to see the faces of the coal rollers who'd wake up in the middle of the night to find their truck engulfed in flames... Cause if someone did that to me, id damn sure follow them and torch that POS while they slept comfy and happily in their little jammies with the feet! lol

oldskool83
08-14-2014, 04:12 PM
I think we all need a group hug.

czac
08-14-2014, 04:16 PM
I remember back just out of HS... I had a job at a small furniture company in New Haven, the delivery truck was this regular chevy gas powered box truck, nothing special... but... the driver and I had discovered that if he hit the gas and turned the key off while driving, when you turned the key back to the on position, the truck would backfire like a gun shot. Boy did we have fun shaking up the guys on the corners with that truck...lol we even got a couple Horses a couple towns over that were in a field... lol that sucker was LOUD!! then we both got fired cause we took the truck off roading in this big dirt parking lot with a lot of deep ruts and stuff and were practically jumping the damn thing but we didn't realize that the rear tires were actually coming up through the wooden floor of the box and not only smashed the floor but broke the furniture that was strapped down...lol so we told the boss we hit a speed bump really hard and that must have been what happened, but that night, someone called and told him he'd seen us bouncing in the parking lot and "it looked like they were having a good time!" lol

6speedthumper
08-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Id love to see the faces of the coal rollers who'd wake up in the middle of the night to find their truck engulfed in flames... Cause if someone did that to me, id damn sure follow them and torch that POS while they slept comfy and happily in their little jammies with the feet! lol

Pretty sure those are called onesies, lol.

I remember back just out of HS... I had a job at a small furniture company in New Haven, the delivery truck was this regular chevy gas powered box truck, nothing special... but... the driver and I had discovered that if he hit the gas and turned the key off while driving, when you turned the key back to the on position, the truck would backfire like a gun shot. Boy did we have fun shaking up the guys on the corners with that truck...lol we even got a couple Horses a couple towns over that were in a field... lol that sucker was LOUD!! then we both got fired cause we took the truck off roading in this big dirt parking lot with a lot of deep ruts and stuff and were practically jumping the damn thing but we didn't realize that the rear tires were actually coming up through the wooden floor of the box and not only smashed the floor but broke the furniture that was strapped down...lol so we told the boss we hit a speed bump really hard and that must have been what happened, but that night, someone called and told him he'd seen us bouncing in the parking lot and "it looked like they were having a good time!" lol

My pop used to do this same thing back in the 70's. Go down through the "projects" in Union City NJ, leave it in gear, shut the engine off, hold the throttle to the floor, turn the key to the run position and papow!!! Never in his own car though, only friend's cars.

Caminofeld
08-15-2014, 01:34 PM
I don't know if someone said this already, but I've been told it's healthy to floor your diesel from time to time in order to blow out carbon deposits...so with that being the case, people aren't always "rollin' coal" to be a dick. Also, I'm pretty sure that a well-tuned diesel runs cleaner than a gas motor from an environmental standpoint, as most of the soot falls back to earth instead of floating up and killing the ozone. I also have a buddy with a Dodge 3500 dually that can get 24 MPG due to some relatively cheap mods.

On a related note, can a bio-diesel roll coal?

I don't care if people do it, but blacking out an unsuspecting pedestrian, motorist, or cyclist should be (and I think is) a ticketable offense. Some local trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro blew smoke into my gf's car through an open window on the highway while my son was sleeping in the back. Not only did she almost crash, but my son woke up coughing and scared. I'm really digging the expansion foam in the exhaust idea...as I see his truck around from time to time:)

Hate to leave on a pissy note, so here's a good one:

About 5 years ago, myself and a group of friends were doing our monthly 100 mi. road ride and some big grey truck rolled coal on my buddy Chris. He damn near crashed and was livid...especially since after they smoked him they called him a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro faggot. Let me preface the rest by saying that I grew up skateboarding with Chris and he is notorious for having a hockey temper and beating the living trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out of people that cross him. So after a long downhill the road flattens out and we see the truck ahead at a stop light. Chris charges ahead of the pack, and as he rolls up on the truck he unclips, picks his $9k bicycle up, and tries to throw it through the back window of the truck. Unfortunately the window didn't break, the bike landed in the truck's bed, and they sped off with his bike never to be seen again...

350for350
08-16-2014, 12:00 AM
Camino, sure something on biodiesel can roll coal, it's just unburned fuel. Hatc, sorry bud. Powerstrokes don't have pumps so you can't turn yours up. Czac, my old 79 f150 would do that too. Didn't do it too often, but as a 20 year old kid, I loved it. Fabio, the same f150 had a "smoke screen" that ran atf through the engine and took care of my tailgaters. Loved it! Also, I was in Iraq too, as a civilian. I was a mechanic. I was in the city of Tikrit. Every day, off in the northwest, there was the most awful cloud of black smoke. Here's what the EPA doesn't want us to know. When I was flown out, the Blackhawk made a loop far enough to the north to see that it was an oil refinery! NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF BS LAWS THEY PASS, IT WILL NOT MAKE ONE DIFFERENCE IN WORLD'S POLLUTION SITUATION! Now for rolling coal, first, I'm a diesel fan. I prefer the prePowerstroke 6.9/7.3 Fords. Yes they are underpowered compared to today's trucks. They do put out more black smoke because their fuel systems are all mechanical (carbs vs efi for gassers). As for me and the vast majority of my diesel forum members, we don't like rolling coal either. One good member even had a post about how bad it is a couple of days ago. It looks terrible and gives all of the responsible diesel drivers a bad name. We are as proud of our trucks and work just as hard to keep them going as anyone on this forum does with our trikes. These few idiots rolling coal are the same kinds as the ones who were playing the "knockout game" a few months back. They'll do ANYTHING for attention. I guess they just aren't happy with themselves. As for the hardcore green people, do your part, but leave me alone even though I own a big, diesel truck that's 30 years old. Now if you think that I should drive a new truck that gets better mileage and puts out less pollution, fine. I'll do it just as soon as you give it to me! I certainly can't afford to buy a truck that costs more than my house did!

hatc200x1
08-16-2014, 04:25 PM
Hatc, sorry bud. Powerstrokes don't have pumps so you can't turn yours up.

I figured I could because 94-97 (dont think there were any 98 powerstrokes???) isnt quite the fully electronic fuel system. Electronic injectors but manual fuel pump is what I believed it to be. Then in 99 they came out with the full electronic fuel system.

YTZ drew
08-16-2014, 08:51 PM
I just bought a 94 F350 with the 7.3 IDI. Not because I wanted a diesel, or need one, just because I needed an affordable plow truck, and this one happens to have a perfect frame, and my plow off my F250 fits it. I have no intention of turning up the wick and "rolling coal", matter of fact, I'd like to burn as little fuel as possible. I can only imagine what I'd have to do to get this thing to have any balls whatsoever. But, it should push some snow...

tripledog
08-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks a lot guys! You have actually got me wanting a diesel now. If used responsibly, they seem to be the ultimate power plant. I don't need anything too big, just something to push large quantities of snow. It will likely never leave my property, except for turning it around in the road. I miss the creature comforts that a truck provides over those of a tractor.

Dirtcrasher
08-17-2014, 02:01 PM
^ Fabio's truck 7.3 pulls with tons of torque.

His truck is the most fun I have ever had as a passenger.

STRONG MOTOR!!

El Camexican
08-17-2014, 04:32 PM
^ Fabio's truck 7.3 pulls with tons of torque. His truck is the most fun I have ever had as a passenger.

Wish I were there to cup your yam bag Steve! You're in my thoughts buddy

I can see why that might be...:lol:

timex69
08-17-2014, 05:19 PM
I've got to rant a bit here because the whole rolling coal thing gets on my nerves. Too many kids breaking themselves financially to drive around in a lifted up diesel to haul twelve packs and air. If you push your truck by towing loads that a gasser just cannot do weekly and make your income VIA your truck by all means purchase a diesel and the key to a good working diesel is maintainence. Dont purchase a 50k truck and skimp on "expensive oil changes" etc, the second you notice something wrong get it looked at.

If you purchase a moderately large 5th wheel/flat deck/construction trailer that hardly leaves your state or province and only use it 3 to 5 times per year purchase a large gasser, suck it up get the poor fuel economy and since you did not shell out as much to purchase the diesel engine as well as maintain it your way futher ahead. Plus no egr deletes, urea, plugging it in, finding quality diesel fuel (country refuelling stations that dont sell large volumes of diesel tend to have water and impurities) and finding a qualified tech to work on your truck, which is HUGE.

BTW I realize gassers have problems too however in nearly every instance they are cheaper to repair. I also am speaking strictly from a fiancial stand point. If you want a diesel by all means buy a diesel if you want HUGE power gains VIA a tuner and other bolt ons diesel is the way to go. Just dont purchase one to tow your small camper 80 miles twice a year and get groceries and run around with your kids the rest of the time and try and convince me you had to have diesel for your towing needs. Get what makes you happy.

I personally have a hemi and have pushed it to the limits towing, I cant pull steep grades at 70 MPH maintaining 15 MPG however I dont mind buying more fuel, climibing grades slower and keeping my truck payments smaller.

sanchez
08-17-2014, 05:36 PM
The naturally asperated fords almost can,t help but blow black above 6000' elevation in stock trim. That's why they got turbos now. At lower elevation u feel the motor pull less and less as the smoke gets thicker. I was always told black (over fueled) exhaust pulls extra heat away from the cylinder reducing power output. So in a land of big trucks and no scents, the blacker the plume the dumber the driver.
PS my ford idi7.3 has a turbo and the stock pump won't over fuel. No smoke, at least not from my truck.

fabiodriven
08-17-2014, 05:59 PM
I've got to rant a bit here because the whole rolling coal thing gets on my nerves. Too many kids breaking themselves financially to drive around in a lifted up diesel to haul twelve packs and air. If you push your truck by towing loads that a gasser just cannot do weekly and make your income VIA your truck by all means purchase a diesel and the key to a good working diesel is maintainence. Dont purchase a 50k truck and skimp on "expensive oil changes" etc, the second you notice something wrong get it looked at.

If you purchase a moderately large 5th wheel/flat deck/construction trailer that hardly leaves your state or province and only use it 3 to 5 times per year purchase a large gasser, suck it up get the poor fuel economy and since you did not shell out as much to purchase the diesel engine as well as maintain it your way futher ahead. Plus no egr deletes, urea, plugging it in, finding quality diesel fuel (country refuelling stations that dont sell large volumes of diesel tend to have water and impurities) and finding a qualified tech to work on your truck, which is HUGE.

BTW I realize gassers have problems too however in nearly every instance they are cheaper to repair. I also am speaking strictly from a fiancial stand point. If you want a diesel by all means buy a diesel if you want HUGE power gains VIA a tuner and other bolt ons diesel is the way to go. Just dont purchase one to tow your small camper 80 miles twice a year and get groceries and run around with your kids the rest of the time and try and convince me you had to have diesel for your towing needs. Get what makes you happy.

I personally have a hemi and have pushed it to the limits towing, I cant pull steep grades at 70 MPH maintaining 15 MPG however I dont mind buying more fuel, climibing grades slower and keeping my truck payments smaller.

OK then, everyone now base what you want to drive on what some guy on the internet tells you to drive, apparently because he says so? Thank you almighty internet guy, for making such a big decision for all the rest of us. Your endless wisdom and perception of thousands of people's individual situations is an unrivaled resource that should forever be cherished.

Now back to reality. Many of these kids hauling "12 packs and air" happen to live in America, where it's their choice as to what they drive, not random internet person's. Maybe they think you should grow a set and buy a real truck, you never know? You don't hear anyone saying that here though, do you? ;-)

The big diesel trucks are the hot rods of our times, at least in my area. If someone wants to funnel their time and resources into their big, flashy truck in America that's their decision. Haters gonna hate.

timex69
08-17-2014, 06:43 PM
OK then, everyone now base what you want to drive on what some guy on the internet tells you to drive, apparently because he says so? Thank you almighty internet guy, for making such a big decision for all the rest of us. Your endless wisdom and perception of thousands of people's individual situations is an unrivaled resource that should forever be cherished.

Now back to reality. Many of these kids hauling "12 packs and air" happen to live in America, where it's their choice as to what they drive, not random internet person's. Maybe they think you should grow a set and buy a real truck, you never know? You don't hear anyone saying that here though, do you? ;-)

The big diesel trucks are the hot rods of our times, at least in my area. If someone wants to funnel their time and resources into their big, flashy truck in America that's their decision. Haters gonna hate.

I think I may have touched a nerve. I was ranting on my stand point of diesels and here you go insulting my opinion on the matter. This thread is posted in the open forum and is for opinions of people rolling coal and kids driving around in trucks that don't suit their needs was brought up. I stated that you can drive what you want if it makes you happy just quit trying to justify it as a need. That is why I stated what I drive and how it does what I need but apparently I should have a diesel because its not enough according to "others that drive diesels in america". I feel that funneling all your resources into a depreciating vehicle is a poor choice and I will not stray from that stance if others feel differently then by all means buy what you want. Perhaps you can elaborate on why "others" feel I need a bigger truck. I'm curious to know . Also enough with the "in america we buy what we want" you think I frogot where most people on here are from. You'd be surprised but in Canada we buy what we want too and when something seems excessive people talk about it. So come on tell me why I need a bigger truck

6speedthumper
08-17-2014, 06:45 PM

That they are. Although I prefer gassers, as you know, I get a real kick out of seeing how far a diesel can be taken, and how it responds to performance gains. It does all that while still being streetable and generally reliable. I say generally because some guys put their trucks through some real torture, lol. If you want to break something, you will find it's weakness.

Fabio, you sound pretty diesel savvy. Are there any delete kits for that exhaust fuel, is it? I figured some company would make a killing offering a delete kit for that!

I honestly think that if I were to own a diesel, I'd buy an old CUCV Military truck with the 6.2L. Or, a late model 2500/3500 with the 6.2L (serpentine belt). From all that I have read, the late models were actually pretty durable. Their main problems being (from memory mind you) possibility of heads cracking, and crankshaft failure IF the harmonic balancer crapped out. Don't know exactly how true that is though. Main reason why I'd go for one of these is because they are all mechanical. If there is ever an EMP strike, it'd still run. Would have to store a few electrical items in an EMP proof box so she'd crank. I had also read a build that a diesel mag did on one using the BANKS Sidewinder turbo kit. Pretty impressive power gains considering the engine.

Scootertrash
08-17-2014, 07:06 PM
Roll coal? PPfffffftt!!

I roll

Roll down my window and cut a big fart for them there tailgaters! Iffin ya get any "coal" is cuz my sphincter slipped. :D:D:D:D

tripledog
08-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Oh, yeah, the infamous trouser sneeze gets 'em every time!

El Camexican
08-17-2014, 10:33 PM
So come on tell me why I need a bigger truck

I don't know about you, but I need a big truck because unlike Glamy I'm to embarrassed to buy an enlargement pump.

tripledog
08-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Wow, that's harsh! Funny as he!!, but harsh.

fabiodriven
08-18-2014, 07:30 PM
So come on tell me why I need a bigger truck

I will. But since you know what kind of truck everyone else needs, why don't you tell me why I need a smaller one? I'll tell you why I don't.

Just dont purchase one to tow your small camper 80 miles twice a year and get groceries and run around with your kids the rest of the time and try and convince me you had to have diesel for your towing needs.

Why not purchase a diesel? I will say this right up front; My one ton truck, and most diesels, get better fuel mileage than your truck, which is smaller. So let us examine this- Your truck is smaller, can't pull as much, and gets worse fuel mileage, and you're going to sit there and tell me what truck I should buy? What gives you the right to tell me that I should buy a smaller truck, that is worse on fuel, and can't pull as much? Because you own a gas truck? And what sense does that make? So I should get a gas truck as well? My truck is 15 years old and has over 235k on it, that's miles not kilobites or whatever, and it's just getting started. I've done tires, brakes, fuel filters, oil changes, a tie rod end, a fuel pump, and some odds and ends. I've poured my heart and soul into my truck to make it my own and it is my principle mode of transportation. I drive it to work every day and sometimes I drive it to the store just to get a pack of smokes, and I do all of that while getting better fuel mileage than you do, and you're going to tell me I need a smaller truck. OK pal.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/556_zps1af9bc5f.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/556_zps1af9bc5f.jpg.html)

This is my truck. It only sees this configuration with both the camper and trailer once or maybe twice a year. The one time for certain every year is for Trikefest. Trikefest is what the rest of my year hinges on. Not Christmas, not Groundhog Day, or tax season, Trikefest. Trikefest is 16-20 hours from me and in the trim you see we're almost 17k lbs, more than that in 2013. We were almost 18k that year. My camper is old and it weighs about 3500 lbs. It's much too heavy for a 3/4 ton truck and even too heavy for a single wheel one ton. In 2012 the camper was on the truck for almost months at a time, it went out literally every single weekend that year. Myself and my girlfriend enjoy the camper thoroughly. It is because of my big, heavy, diesel, one ton, dually truck, that camper gets anywhere at all. Not only does it get the camper there, it hauls it up hills at a safe highway speed and accelerates up on ramps allowing me to merge into traffic, again at safe speeds. My camper would squash a half ton truck like a bug. With just the camper and no trailer, it probably gets about the fuel mileage your truck does while empty. So what should I do? Buy a half ton gas job? Because internet dude says so? The camper only went to Trikefest and New York (MIK6's) last summer and most of the time other than that it was only hauling my arse (empty), but it still got better mileage than your truck while it was empty. My truck is a 2wd six speed manual shift. Because of this it doesn't have a low range that would be found in the transfer case in a 4wd truck. Three years ago I happened upon a tractor trailer stuck up to the front axle (literally) on the side of the road. Because I was able to pull him from the pavement, and because I had my old camper in the back at the time, I was able to lug him out. I was surprised but my father and the truck driver were dumbfounded. That was the hardest I ever worked that truck, and I am completely confident a gas job, even in the same exact chassis, would not have pulled him out. Possibly with a low range transfer case, but my truck doesn't have that. There is no way of ever knowing, but I don't think it would have happened. I have a fair amount of tools in my toolboxes and I use them regularly. I used them today at work actually. I am a truck driver by trade of almost 15 years and I drive trucks that approach 120,000 lbs at times (that's lbs, not kiloballs or whatever), so this is an appropriate, and smaller, vehicle for me. And it still gets better fuel mileage than your truck.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0784_zpsabqyiiqu.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0784_zpsabqyiiqu.jpg.html)

This is an ex-coworker's truck. It's got a Cummins 5.9 diesel in it. Nice truck eh? I don't like GM products, but I'd certainly drive that. I bet a lot of people here would. If you pay attention to details, you'll notice that the rear end has even been narrowed to fit under the bed without having to have "hips". Very clean, nice truck. And it gets better fuel mileage than yours.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0713_zpsi8hj6t5e.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0713_zpsi8hj6t5e.jpg.html)

Here are a couple of my buddy's trucks in my driveway. The Dodge is a local friend who tows his mud truck all over New England and also hauls a trailer with wood sometimes. 90% of the time he goes by my house, he's just going to grab the kids at school or going to get a coffee. It's a big, nice truck, and it gets better fuel mileage than yours.

The utility truck is my roommate's. It's got a 6.0 in it which I'm not a huge fan of. He's had to do a ton of work to it over the years but that's OK. He's a diesel mechanic and we've both learned a lot along the way (like don't buy a 6.0). As it sits, that truck weighs in at about 11k lbs. He has all of his tools in it. It makes a TON of power and it is fast. That 11k truck will pass your truck and just keep going, I promise. About a month ago he hauled a generator that weighed over 15 thousand lbs, while still having his truck full of his tools and at 11k. I never said he was smart. Although illegal, you would never have done that with a gas truck, ever. His truck at 11k probably gets similar, but possibly better, fuel mileage than yours.

But what about those of us who don't use our diesel trucks to their potential? What about those who just drive around hauling 12 packs and air? Well, those guys have trucks that run for half a million miles with very little maintenance and they get better fuel mileage than your truck.

So tell me again why anyone should drive a gas job over a diesel pickup?

DohcBikes
08-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Hell yes fabiodriven, hell yes. Keep on Truckin'

My bud Zach and I have been looking for a big body Ford Ltd to put a Turbo Powerstroke into. Got the motor and trans already :)

fabiodriven
08-18-2014, 08:22 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/2013-11-28_13-16-49-1_zps8f6c3ec6.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/2013-11-28_13-16-49-1_zps8f6c3ec6.jpg.html)

This is Billy "Hoodstack" from the next town over. Nice kid. I took this pic on Thanksgiving of last year at the annual "Turkey Day Burnouts". It takes place really early in the morning. Now to each their own, you all have your own personal preferences, but having double the power of a tractor trailer in a pickup that belches flames in the air and absolutely sa-molders the tires sounds like a really trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro good time to me. There were sports cars and trucks of every make and model you could possibly think of that day, but he took the show. Now I completely understand if that kind of thing isn't up your alley, I think there may be a flea market nearby or something, but I'll ride my way on to the next place with a smile on my face and flames shooting in the air hauling heavy thank you very much sir.

timex69
08-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Fabio their is no winning with you is there? It all boils down to paying twice as much for a truck to get slightly better fuel mileage. Does that make sense after the kilobit conversion. Diesel trucks are work trucks not play trucks im sure a truck driver can respect that, they need to be run down the highway to keep them cleaned out not run around doing BS errands. And since you have the 7.3 the maintainence may be low however talk to some 6.0 and 6.4 owners and just see how cheap they are to operate. I bet egr delete, head studs oil coolers gold coolant HPOP and injectors come up in the conversation. As for towing I drug a 8000 LB trailer across the country getting 13 mpg steady I think that's respectable for a gasser and enough for manys towing needs. Also are you implying that a diesel will go 500k miles on a stock turbo oil pump injectors body panels for us that live in the salt belt. Yea diesels go a long way but not forever and not for free. Also it was all my opinion of what others need dont go flipping things to suit your arguement.

DohcBikes
08-18-2014, 08:42 PM
WARNING: Lots of cussing in this video by the friends of the moron the in the gasser. Not sure what they expected haha

Here's what happens when you gas truck lovers start talkin chit to the big boys....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpenUvtiiUQ

tripledog
08-18-2014, 08:48 PM
^^^ I can honestly say I have never seen anything like that until now. Pretty neat to watch!

bkm
08-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Haha. Mess with the Bull and you might just get the Horns.

I've weighed the diesel vs. gas thing and for me I can't justify the intial and operating cost of a diesel. I tow a 6500-7000 lb travel trailer and my trikes. I drive my 2010 F-150 and maybe and I mean maybe drive 3000 miles a year and 2500 of those is probably with my camper behind it. I get horrible gas mileage and have thought about stepping up to a used 3/4 truck, but with a gas engine. The diesel trucks I have looked at are on average 10k more than a gasser and usually higher milage. Then you have to figure in that just because a diesel will last 4-5 hundred thousand miles doesn't mean the rest of the truck will.

For my money and my needs a newer Dodge 2500 with the 6.4 or an 2008-2010 F-250 with the v10 would suit my needs the best and pull my camper with little effort all the while haiving a lower maintenace cost and slightly higher fuel bill that would take 20 years to offset the initial cost and mantenance of the diesel.

But.......I would still love an oil burner just for the coolness factor. I just can't personally justify one though.

6speedthumper
08-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Okay, the pull off was fuggin insane! However, I'm willing to bet both of my testicles that the Chevy had the small 6.0L gas engine, that in that particular body made only 360lbft of torque. Compare that to a Cummins making a minimum of 600lbft, it didn't stand a chance. Take into account that the 6.0 gas engine makes it torque above 4000rpm, it was never going to bet the diesel. Still, I'm not saying that gas is better then diesel, just that the 6.0 gas didn't stand a snow ball's chance in heII. I'm not afraid to admit that my 8.1 would not win that contest either. Two totally different animals. Be like putting a 4.0L Toyota or Nissan V6 against the 6.0L.

But, for kicks, it will pull some weight. Don't know a damn thing about truck pulls, and it doesn't say how much weight this 8.1 pulled. Heck, I don't know if that is considered a very long pull! lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SIytDA9QmA

6speedthumper
08-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Haha. Mess with the Bull and you might just get the Horns.

I've weighed the diesel vs. gas thing and for me I can't justify the intial and operating cost of a diesel. I tow a 6500-7000 lb travel trailer and my trikes. I drive my 2010 F-150 and maybe and I mean maybe drive 3000 miles a year and 2500 of those is probably with my camper behind it. I get horrible gas mileage and have thought about stepping up to a used 3/4 truck, but with a gas engine. The diesel trucks I have looked at are on average 10k more than a gasser and usually higher milage. Then you have to figure in that just because a diesel will last 4-5 hundred thousand miles doesn't mean the rest of the truck will.

For my money and my needs a newer Dodge 2500 with the 6.4 or an 2008-2010 F-250 with the v10 would uit my needs the best and pull my camper with little effort all the while haiving a lower maintenace cost and slightly higher fuel bill that would take 20 years to offset the initial cost and mantenance of the diesel.

But.......I would still love an oil burner just for the coolness factor. I just can't personally justify one though.

I have driven the older Ford 6.8 v10 and it's pretty sluggish. The stock Ford automatic doesn't help matters. I've not gotten to drive a newer one, yet.

fabiodriven
08-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Fabio their is no winning with you is there?

In this particular argument, no.

Diesel trucks are work trucks not play trucks im sure a truck driver can respect that, they need to be run down the highway to keep them cleaned out not run around doing BS errands. .

I can assure you that is completely wrong. Many diesel trucks (and I've spent plenty of time around diesel trucks) spend a huge portion of their lives idling. While the idling will have some adverse effects, by the time they come into play you've already replaced a gas truck's engine. Running around doing BS errands would suit a diesel just fine as long as you accelerate from time to time. That doesn't mean blow down the highway at 100, that just means give 'er the beans every now and then. You wouldn't even have to speed. That's about as tough as pushing your right foot a touch harder. You can change spark plugs all you want, I'll press the pedal here and there.

As for towing I drug a 8000 LB trailer across the country getting 13 mpg steady I think that's respectable for a gasser and enough for manys towing needs.

Yes, I keep getting this argument. Let me agree with you gas chuggers yet again. Yes, your little trucks will do this. However, you're taxing a truck that is capable of doing what a diesel can with much less effort. As I said, my truck will safely accelerate to highway speeds so I don't impede traffic and cause problems on the road with my "Little Engine That Could". I can cruise at 85 at 17,000 lbs and never hit below 55 climbing a grade. Travel how you want.

Also are you implying that a diesel will go 500k miles on a stock turbo oil pump injectors body panels for us that live in the salt belt. Yea diesels go a long way but not forever and not for free.

I live in Massachusetts. This is the heart of the rust belt. My truck has 235k on it. I can take pictures of the underneath if I really have to. Cabs are replaceable as well. Nothing goes forever, but we're talking 500k vs 175ish? I know plenty of high mileage diesels, not many gas jobs.

What is it that makes you think you can tell others what kind of truck they should have? I, along with the "others" you're addressing, own diesel trucks. You do not. I suppose you go down to your local bakery and tell them how they should be making the cakes? Or do you go down to the power plant and tell them how they should be making electricity? All I'm doing is showing you what owning a diesel truck is like. If you don't like how it is then stick to your gas job. These are only facts I'm giving you, so take them how you will.

Also it was all my opinion of what others need dont go flipping things to suit your arguement.

I already addressed this in my last post.

But what about those of us who don't use our diesel trucks to their potential? What about those who just drive around hauling 12 packs and air? Well, those guys have trucks that run for half a million miles with very little maintenance and they get better fuel mileage than your truck.

So why was it that you think anyone else should drive a gas powered full size pickup?

6speedthumper
08-18-2014, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=fabiodriven;1326695] You can change spark plugs all you want, I'll press the pedal here and there.

QUOTE]

Oh yeah, all of us running a gasser have to replace our spark plugs every 30k miles like back in the days of points ignition. Sure...

fabiodriven
08-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Nice comeback.

6speedthumper
08-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Thanks^^^^^^^^

bkm
08-18-2014, 09:58 PM
I have driven the older Ford 6.8 v10 and it's pretty sluggish. The stock Ford automatic doesn't help matters. I've not gotten to drive a newer one, yet.

The older 2v's were sluggish. The 08-10 3v's were much better. I wish I could find a low mileage 03 7.3 F-250, but those are hard to come by.

6speedthumper
08-18-2014, 10:16 PM
The older 2v's were sluggish. The 08-10 3v's were much better. I wish I could find a low mileage 03 7.3 F-250, but those are hard to come by.

In all honesty I didn't even know they carried the 6.8 over into the 3v platform. Have fun replacing the spark plugs for the first time! Hopefully you'll find a truck already had them replaced. Another one of Ford's brilliant ideas, lol. I think we have over $1000 in specialty tools for removing those plugs.

bkm
08-18-2014, 10:18 PM
In all honesty I didn't even know they carried the 6.8 over into the 3v platform. Have fun replacing the spark plugs for the first time! Hopefully you'll find a truck already had them replaced. Another one of Ford's brilliant ideas, lol. I think we have over $1000 in specialty tools for removing those plugs.

Don't quote me, but I believe they fixed the plug problem by then.

EDIT: The Spark Plug TSB on the 3v's is from 05-mid to year 07. They made the v10 in 3v form from 05-10 and updated the heads mid year in 07. The 08-10's have the newer style body and interior and 5 speed transmission. I wouldn't even consider a v10 older than 08.

6speedthumper
08-18-2014, 10:27 PM
It effects nearly all the 3v engines. Not sure what platform Ford is running now, so they may not have that problem anymore (I'm not a Ford guy, and any truck still under factory warranty I won't see yet). Champion is the only one I know of that makes a replacement plug that gets the job done.

bkm
08-18-2014, 10:31 PM
It effects nearly all the 3v engines. Not sure what platform Ford is running now, so they may not have that problem anymore (I'm not a Ford guy, and any truck still under factory warranty I won't see yet). Champion is the only one I know of that makes a replacement plug that gets the job done.I have a 2010 5.4 and it doesn't have that problem. After 08 there were no more plug issues with any Ford 4.6, 5.4, or 6.8.

6speedthumper
08-18-2014, 10:54 PM
I have a 2010 5.4 and it doesn't have that problem. After 08 there were no more plug issues with any Ford 4.6, 5.4, or 6.8.

So they must have updated either the combustion chamber design, or, they upgraded the plugs. Most of the plug removal issues I see are on trucks no newer then 08. Most anything newer tends to have lower milage and not due for plugs yet.

bkm
08-18-2014, 10:57 PM
Updated heads with longer plug hole threads and redesigned spark plugs.

RIDE-RED 250r
08-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Some people hate 2-stroke smoke too....

FTR: I do not own a diesel (well, my John Deere 330 has a 3cyl Yanmar in it ;))... But I'm sure my '78 K-10 annoys plenty of people...as do loud Harley's, and loud boats, airplanes, chainsaws and loddy-doddy-da.... :lol:

But I DO agree that blasting someone with smoke is a juvenile rotten thing to do and they should be prosecuted for it.... Tuning a diesel and running coal out of the stack is one thing, but to intentionally blast some random pedestrian, bicycler, etc out of a side dump exhaust for the hell of it is completely another thing.... Good way to get shot at if you ask me.... (wiping a tailgater of your arse excluded Fabio ;))

Dirtcrasher
08-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Some people hate 2-stroke smoke too....

FTR: I do not own a diesel (well, my John Deere 330 has a 3cyl Yanmar in it ;))... But I'm sure my '78 K-10 annoys plenty of people...as do loud Harley's, and loud boats, airplanes, chainsaws and loddy-doddy-da.... :lol:

But I DO agree that blasting someone with smoke is a juvenile rotten thing to do and they should be prosecuted for it.... Tuning a diesel and running coal out of the stack is one thing, but to intentionally blast some random pedestrian, bicycler, etc out of a side dump exhaust for the hell of it is completely another thing.... Good way to get shot at if you ask me.... (wiping a tailgater of your arse excluded Fabio ;))

I happen to like your exhaust Shmedley!! I'm yet to see a 2 stroke though :lol:.....

RIDE-RED 250r
08-22-2014, 02:29 PM
I happen to like your exhaust Shmedley!! I'm yet to see a 2 stroke though :lol:.....

I'm STILL waiting for my new carb!! Tried calling him yesterday and left a message.... Starting to get a little worried/annoyed....

Update: Eddie emailed me back and my brand new 41.2mm PWK is on it's way!!!! :D :Bounce