PDA

View Full Version : Atc90 pull start spring battle-lost

QUASIMOTO
08-13-2014, 12:13 PM
I hate to admit it; but I've been bested and beaten down by a lowly spring. After wrestling with it for over an hour; the final score was 21-0; in favor of the spring. There must be some trick to installing this beast. If someone out there knows what it is; Please! Please! tell me what it is. Even as I write this; I'm working on a rematch; I haven't given up; but I need your help. Will you help me?

shortline10
08-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Coil it up into the recoil housing starting with the outside part of the spring hook it into the housing and coil it up , very simple .

just ben
08-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Haha. It is really easy after you have done a few.hold the recoil in your lap and start the spring around the outside use one hand to guide the spring and the other to push spring in and to hold it in place. Just keep working toward the center until the spring is all in. It also helps to rotate the recoil while doing it. After you figure it out you will be able to do it in under a minute.

just ben
08-13-2014, 01:31 PM
pretty much like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmjI0l6ocD4

jb2wheels
08-13-2014, 02:49 PM
I feel your pain, brother! I was in the exact same spot - about 2 hours of constant wrestling and losing to an ATC 110 pull start. Everything got tossed and I gave up.

Came back the next day with fresh hands, fresh mind, fresh perspective and got it wound on the first shot.

BOB MARLIN
08-13-2014, 03:01 PM
There is a write up somewhere on here with pictures. Useing a screw in a board to wind the spring and then putting a wire around the outside to keep it coiled up while you drop in place. Worked for me.

QUASIMOTO
08-14-2014, 08:07 AM
It truly is a simple process to load the spring. But it definitely was not easy trying to force that stiff spring into a place it did not want to go. Thanks for all your help guys, I managed to get it done.

QUASIMOTO
08-15-2014, 08:04 AM
I got the pullstarter together and guess what? It worked the opposite of what it's supposed to. I thought I had the rope wound the wrong way. No way; it was the spring; it was wound the wrong way. For those who might attempt to replace their own spring; make sure you wind the spring to the right as you've got it in your lap. It will save you a lot of grief.

just ben
08-15-2014, 08:18 AM
I forgot to mention that before,we have all done it

QUASIMOTO
08-15-2014, 08:41 AM
That's how we learn!
I forgot to mention that before,we have all done it

BOB MARLIN
08-15-2014, 08:47 AM
This is also why you come across so many 70's and 90's with no starters. I think people get pissed and never get them back together.