PDA

View Full Version : Rust removal

96motorhead
08-13-2014, 11:57 PM
I'm trying to remove rust from a paul turner high rev pipe currently. So far i've gotten down to the raw metal on a spot and the pipe is pitted pretty bad. How do you guys get rid of the pitting? So far i've just used a rag, wd40 and some emery cloth.

Thanks for the help

czac
08-14-2014, 09:58 AM
pitting? in the pipe? if its not deep you may be able to sand or grind it smooth, if its too deep you wont get rid of it unless you fill it in and on a pipe? youre better off getting another one or just getting the rust off and use a good paint on it. I honestly never bothered trying to get rid of pitts, I wire wheel them and then paint over it. Got Photos of the Pitting?

czac
08-14-2014, 10:08 AM
also, the best, easiest way to remove rust without a lot of physical exertion is using an electrolysis tank. Google it, it works great to pull rust off of parts.

heres a vice I did last year...

Before de rusting, Parts hanging in tank ready to add water and washing soda and electricity:
http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/photos/i-PnRRWTJ/0/L/i-PnRRWTJ-L.jpg

After de rusting.. painted and re assembled:
http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/photos/i-tjn8gMQ/0/XL/i-tjn8gMQ-XL.jpg

QUASIMOTO
08-14-2014, 10:28 AM
The only way to get rid of pitting is to sand it smooth. The trouble with that sometimes is you might sand a hole in the part your trying to save. The best, cheapest, and safest product; I've found for rust removal is plain old white vinegar. Just soak the part overnight and rinse off with water.

czac
08-14-2014, 11:28 AM
I know theres also a way to remove rust with Molasses but Im fuzzy on that one. sand blasting is good too but unless you can use a pro set up its messy and not to easy to do bigger parts. and it takes a lot of blasting media as well. I have never tried the white vinegar, maybe I will experiment with it soon. you can also buy something called "Navel Jelly" (Yum, sounds delish!) in an auto parts store, works good too.

QUASIMOTO
08-14-2014, 12:29 PM
I've tried them all and nothing works better, cheaper, or safer than white vinegar. I know it sounds weird; but it works. I've never tried the molasses one though, LOL

jb2wheels
08-14-2014, 12:37 PM
X2 on the vinegar.

I used pool acid on a few gas tanks. Works great but cleanup is a pain. The last tank I cleaned with vinegar. Cheap and easy and just dump the vinegar on the ground.

The electrolysis looks cool but I never tried it.

briano
08-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Toilet bowl cleaner works great also. I can't remember who had the write up on here, but I've used it several times on different parts and it works great. It can be used multiple times and when you're done, flush it down the toilet

badass350x
08-14-2014, 08:59 PM
As stated above,, vinegar then ad a little salt.. rust gone.

redsox
08-14-2014, 09:20 PM
zep makes a rust remover. comes in a gallon jug. its acid, and kinda bad news, but i keep mine in a 5 gallon home depot bucket and reuse and reuse and reuse. i just dunk the parts, let em soak, and remove and rinse. works really good.