PDA

View Full Version : atc200m what are signs my rear brakes are sticking?

thatguy
08-14-2014, 01:11 PM
I started her up and rode around the yard and changed oil. sometimes when startingto move forward there is some loud sticking sounds coming from the rear axle area. it does this in gear and in neutral, whether engine is on or off. last week I took off the rear brake cover but didn't have large crescent wrenches to get into where the shoes are so I just drained out all the water and dirt and closed it back up... I don't mind not having rear brakes for now and just need it rideable for the weekend. can I maybe open it back up and squirt some gear oil in it for now to keep it from sticking?

350for350
08-15-2014, 10:05 PM
If you use gear oil, your rear brakes won't work whether they're sticking or not. That's probably not a good idea. The chances of getting the right amount of oil if the right place is almost zero. I'm not sure what a "sticking noise" is, but you can try to back your brakes off unless they're rusted in place. You should get your brakes working as quickly as possible just for the safety factor. Even if you ride on a perfectly flat place, you might need to stop quickly.