PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for winter, new truck

YTZ drew
08-15-2014, 09:28 AM
Last winter, my ancient rust bucket F250 finally suffered a broken frame, so I've been searching for a suitable replacement that I could afford with 6 kids and 1.5 incomes. Found this, kinda beat, but has a mint frame, and it will accept the plow I already have. Its has the 7.3 IDI, which is a whole new animal to me, but I figure we'll get to know each other pretty quick. Paid $1900, which I felt was a steal considering the frame and where we are located. I'm psyched!198982

coolpool
08-15-2014, 11:10 AM
6 kids and you're alive to talk about it! From what I've gathered that was the best diesel engine Ford ever used; could be wrong though. Do you use the service body for work, or was it just part of the package? I've never heard of frames breaking, is it from plowing or rot?

YTZ drew
08-15-2014, 11:27 AM
My last truck was rusty when I got it, then I used it only as a plow truck in the winter for 7 years, so the frame finally rusted through and broke. The new truck came witht he utility body, and I think I'll keep it on there. I have a small side business servicing power equipment and atvs, etc, so it might come in handy if I set it up for service calls.

350for350
08-16-2014, 12:08 AM
Hey, Drew. I agree that you stole that one!

tripledog
08-16-2014, 09:53 PM
You did well... VERY well! I sold my plow truck (1989 Ramcharger with a 360 gas engine, Meyer power angle plow, less than 80k on the clock, nice interior, and clear NYS title) for $1,300. If I were more limber, I would kick my self in the arse for that. I love the 1945 Farmall M tractor and 7 1/2' blade that replaced my trusty Mopar, but much to my chagrin, I found that tractors can get stuck too. REEEAAALYYYY stuck! Not to mention the fact that if you aren't careful while backing and turning at the same time, letting the steering wheel play out and then trying to grab the wheel has the propensity to rip your freakin arm off. I miss me some power steering. I would love to find truck like yours. Nice score, man!

fabiodriven
08-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Yes sir, you did do very well on that truck! coolpool, the 7.3 is a fantastic engine in any trim. The ford versions, no turbo, IDI, or Powerstroke. I prefer the Powerstroke as it is the pinnacle. The regular International truck 7.3, more commonly known as the 444, is great as well. They run forever and make a lot of power, but certainly don't spool up like modern diesels. The Powerstrokes spool up a lot better than the IDI's and obviously the non turbo, but 7.3's are much better at pulling than accelerating compared to their newer counterparts. If you keep your oil changed and fuel filters fresh you'll do just fine. Do yourself a favor and figure out if the glow plug system is up to snuff before it gets cold out. A 7.3 will start even in single digits without being plugged in, but plugging it in is good for engine longevity. If your glow plugs aren't working right, expect to go through a lot of ether. If you're new to diesels, you might be surprised at how cool they run in the cold weather. If you've ever wondered why you see guys driving around with chunks of cardboard over their radiator when it's cold, you may find out. Looks like a great deal though!