PDA

View Full Version : Just got an '85 250es Big Red

Legns
08-19-2014, 08:40 PM
Hello I am new to this site and new to owning a trike. I have always wanted a Big Red now i have one. It smokes horribly and the front is a mess. It is missing all kinds of stuff. Hopefully the people on this site will be a grate help to me as to what exactly is missing. I will try to get some pics up as soon as I can but my first question is what is the what looks like a brake handle on the right side for (if sitting on it) mine does not have one so im curious? thank you for all the help in advance

jeswinehart
08-19-2014, 08:56 PM
That lever on the right is for the front brake, left handle is for the rear (or vice a versa :),,,, I would need to go sit on my Bigred to be sure).
This site I am posting link too has diagrams of all the trikes + bikes and such. Great for looking at exploded views of machines.
I believe I may have it on 85 Bigred so just look to the left and click the area you want to look at.
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1985-honda-atc250es/o/m1902

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1985-honda-atc250es/o/m1902#sch4335

Welcome to 3ww Chris.
john

85triz-250
08-19-2014, 09:14 PM
I have a 200es big red and love it. I often am curious how the 250s ran...

Atc70noob
08-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Our family loves our 86 250es. Everyone we ride with thinks we are a bunch of loonies. My dad brought it over from AZ and it's ran ever since recently. I am trying to get it back running. We have used it for racing, trail riding and even pulling a fully loaded rock and log trailer across our land. It has never let us down. My brother abuses the hell out of it and wheelies on it for days. It has lasted the longest out of all of our trail bosses and our friends blasters. It has just been such a reliable machine. The left handle also controls the parking brake, which is very convenient and the reverse lever switch.

Legns
08-19-2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks thats a good site to know. My handle on the left works my front brake and my back brakes work with the foot lever on the side with the kickstart. Is that handle necessary? I plan on putting it back there when I rebuild the front but thats going to take a wile while I gather all the necessary parts. I guess my question is do I need to worry its not there now?

Legns
08-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Our family loves our 86 250es. Everyone we ride with thinks we are a bunch of loonies. My dad brought it over from AZ and it's ran ever since recently. I am trying to get it back running. We have used it for racing, trail riding and even pulling a fully loaded rock and log trailer across our land. It has never let us down. My brother abuses the hell out of it and wheelies on it for days. It has lasted the longest out of all of our trail bosses and our friends blasters. It has just been such a reliable machine. The left handle also controls the parking brake, which is very convenient and the reverse lever switch.

lol my left handle doesn't do any of that right now something I am trying to correct asap so i can get reverse back

Legns
08-20-2014, 11:06 AM
just took some photos so you can see what I got

Bigred97
08-22-2014, 08:58 PM
You will enjoy that. With a little work, you will have a very nice rider. I have one and I love it.

Chopsaw
08-22-2014, 09:22 PM
You will enjoy that. With a little work, you will have a very nice rider. I have one and I love it.

A little work ? They are great fun to bring back to life , but more like work , and money , and more money . Enjoy .

Legns
08-24-2014, 02:33 PM
My plan for now is to just do the essentials to get it rideable. Fix the top end so it stops smoking and through a headlight and taillights in it and fix my brake handle so i have reverse. This way i can enjoy it until i get all the parts together for a full restoration. Thats the plan for now at least so wish me luck

85BigRed300
08-25-2014, 02:52 PM
A quick fix, or permanent for me, is to tie wire the reverse engagement lever up. It is down low on the right side of the engine. No more fiddling with a lever to get it in reverse.

Legns
08-25-2014, 03:02 PM
ya i have that now just so i get reverse and that would be fine if i was the only person riding it but im not so I need it to work properly so they don't ruin my transmission