PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Honda Big Red - Model Year Changes

delling3
08-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Hi folks. As I mentioned in my new member intro, I am looking for a couple of toys for the wife and I, and occasionally my sons or a guest to our cabin to use. Actually, I already bought a pretty clean TRX200, primarily for my wife to ride. I really have my heart set on a Big Red for me. My question relates to the model year changes, particularly 1984-1986. I was told by another Big Red owner that I should definitely buy a 1986 model. He claims that this model has a longer wheelbase than the earlier model, in addition to the power bump of 50cc. I am not so much worried about the power, but the wheelbase seems like a significant factor. I am a 3XL kind of guy, well over 6 feet tall. I have ridden a few trikes, and the 86 Big Red I rode does seem more stable (less wheelie prone) and a bit more roomy.

Looking at the brochures found elsewhere on 3ww, it appears that the 84 and 85 models had the same larger chassis, but stayed with the 200cc engine. So, my question is, should I broaden my search to include 84/85 models? Seems like there are a lot more of them available.

Thanks.

atc007
08-20-2014, 02:38 PM
84 is a completely different animal than the 250's. { 85-87}. No rear suspension,and minimal front. You def want a 250,86,87 offered a more water proof rear end. Ride and overall happiness will be the same for all. ou will hunt harder and longer for a 6 or 7. But buying a clean year of any 250 will keep you smiling from ear to ear.

delling3
08-20-2014, 03:42 PM
So, now I am confused. I was under the impression that 85 was the first 250, but a local guy in my area has a 85 Big Red for sale, and it is a 200. Maybe he is confused about the model year. Either way, I am sure that I would prefer the unit with a rear suspension, so I will keep looking.

Thanks

atc007
08-20-2014, 04:09 PM
85 IS the 1st year of 250. All 250's have rear suspension. No 200 ever did. You will love a 250 ! You are listening for any bad noises while starting. ANY noise is bad news,,one way starter bearing,which means it did not have proper oil changes. Freewheeling at shut down,one way clutch,same as starter. And rear diff. Make sure it has a clean healthy color of gear oil in it. ANY mud/black. You are going to be in for a rebuild. Not the end of the world. But Much easier to get a good one and not worry about it!

hublake
08-20-2014, 05:20 PM
82-83 were 200,chain drive, high/low gears. No suspension in rear.
84 was a 200 but had reverse and shaft drive
85,86,87 were all 250, shaft drive, reverse, and had rear suspension. 85, 86, 87 were basically the same with improvements made to the brakes on the 86.
You can't beat an 85,86,87 I have had mine since new.
Next time you are at your cabin give me a PM and come out and try one of each. I have an 83 and 85. 83 is basically my work machine and the 85 I keep for trail rides.

Atc70noob
08-20-2014, 09:04 PM
85 IS the 1st year of 250. All 250's have rear suspension. No 200 ever did. You will love a 250 ! You are listening for any bad noises while starting. ANY noise is bad news,,one way starter bearing,which means it did not have proper oil changes. Freewheeling at shut down,one way clutch,same as starter. And rear diff. Make sure it has a clean healthy color of gear oil in it. ANY mud/black. You are going to be in for a rebuild. Not the end of the world. But Much easier to get a good one and not worry about it!

So freewheeling for a noob is when you shut it down and something inside the engine continues to turn? The flywheel and or the clutch side? Could you feel this if you put your hand on the engine case, in case you couldn't hear well like myself?

atc007
08-20-2014, 09:38 PM
Yes, a bad clutch side will keep rolling after the engine stops. If there are any starter reduction gear noises,that is because of a bad one way under the flywheel. The clucth grit and garbage in oil chews these bearings up. Clean oil,and filters for life? They''ll easily last a lifetime..