PDA

View Full Version : not very motivated

R.J.M.
08-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Hope I'm posting this n the right place. The past couple months I've just been flat out unmotivated, could even call it lazy. Busting my ass working almost 60hrs a week and by the time the weekend hits I don't want to do a dam thing. Went out to the garage the other day and just sat there looking at my trikes. Just kept thinking why not just sell it all. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love them but they've been sitting a lot and I haven't even picked up a tool to tinker with them. Went as far as putting my 86 R on craigslist, I know the minute I sell it I'm goin to regret it to the fullest.

I look at 3ww on a daily basis and love the site, it's been very helpful to me and there A LOT of great people on here, just looking for some helpful advise or motivation before I make the wrong decision. Thanks

manbearpig
08-21-2014, 12:26 PM
umm... just ride something?

motivation enough i'd think

DohcBikes
08-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Thin the herd. As they begin to disappear, you'll find out real quick which ones you should/shouldve kept.

I'm not even a smoker fan, but I surely would not start by selling the liquid R unless it is either

A. Beyond the realm of your experience to repair it

B. There's virtually nothing wrong with it and you are going to hold out for top dollar.

If your trike list were in my sig line, here's what I'd do with each. Keep in mind I've not seen these trikes and I do not know your investment or preference.

87 200x,, ya if I get one I'll never sell it, regardless of condition or how much I use it.

83 185, bye bye.

85 350x, if I had to buy it back, never gone again.

86 250r, already said it

85 110, part it out

85 70, find a 3ww member that likes tiny trikes and sell it to em.

Be left with the good ones.

oldskool83
08-21-2014, 12:59 PM
you have too much on your plate. Pick a direction and see where it goes...your a grown man....so this is what I would do:

1986 HONDA 250R Same as below
1985 HONDA 350x Same as below
1987 HONDA 200X Sell the others and think about these 3
1983 HONDA 185 (why? Just a faster slower 110....good bye)
1985 HONDA 70 (keep it only if you have a child, if not get rid of it)
1985 HONDA 110 (project) (why? your a grown man get rid of it)

your one person do you really need all of these? I do not think anyone needs more then 3 bikes personaly

R.J.M.
08-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Thanks guys it all helps, i need to update my signature. The only trikes I have left is the R, the 185, and 2 70's and a trx70 (got 3 kids). Goin to spend this weekend in the shop and go thru all my trikes and parts and start thinning everything out. I do have way to much on my plate. Time to just dive in and get it all sorted so I can focus on one thing at a time. Thanks again

jb2wheels
08-21-2014, 04:09 PM
This might ramble a bit...

If they're stored indoors and gas drained, they can sit a while until time permits riding.

I really only get 6 or so rides every year.
When I get back from a ride, I wash 'em, fix 'em and then they sit until the next ride.

Unless you have space or $$ issues, don't sweat it. They're things. They don't care of you pay attention to them.

Work while the workin' is good.

The key for me is draining the gas out of 'em - especially out of the carbs. I usually end up with some in the tank with StaBil.

I will say, I've sold a bunch of trikes and quads the last few years. I like working on them. When I'm done with a resto, I get tired of looking at them and I have space limitations (my 350X is stored in the van right now...)
I sold: a 90/110, 2 or 3 different 70s, 2 TRX 70s, 2 84 200Xs, 2 Tecates.

I miss the green vacation/widowmaker Tecate because it was green, badass and had OEM plastics and I did not get enough $$ for it when I sold it. I was on a "thin the herd" bender. I should have kept it. I have a replacement but it's red... not the same for some reason. I don't miss it enough to chase the buyer down and get it back but selling it is not in my top 10 best decision list.

I miss the first TRX70 "Potty Quad" I sold because it had a 125 in it with reverse and e-start and raised bars and lowered pegs perfect camp quad. I thought I was over the 70 thing. But I got good $$ for it. And quads take up a lot of space. I'll replace it with a similar ATC70. I really liked the reverse.

The rest I don't miss at all and I'm glad they're gone. So that's my point - keep 'em you can and want to. Sell 'em if you don't. You won't miss em. Mostly...

jakep53
08-22-2014, 05:35 AM
I find to get motivated I need to buy a project and buy heaps of parts and when they roll up at my door it's just like christmas and I am suddenly interested again!!

R.J.M.
08-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Jakep53 I would love to do that but the wife says otherwise lol. Goin to clean the shop out and sell stuff so I can put money towards redoing my 250r. Strip it apart pc the frame and various parts go thru the motor and figure out what's knocking....just basically clean it up and make it look good. And so I can have more room lol

MIK6
08-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Get your kids into the garage w ya!!
or find a neighborhood kid.. take him for a ride on the R, let him ride the 110.. let him hang in the garage...
Have him help w a project. A good youngster will liven up the place.. look at his eyes when you fire up that R.
A kid enthusiasm is contagious!! I know that helped me back when I was stuck on a rebuild!
my GFs nephews come, wrench and ride all the time.. ive got my brother back into trikes, it helps me thats for sure!

DohcBikes
08-22-2014, 11:42 AM
Jakep53 I would love to do that but the wife says otherwise lol. Goin to clean the shop out and sell stuff so I can put money towards redoing my 250r. Strip it apart pc the frame and various parts go thru the motor and figure out what's knocking....just basically clean it up and make it look good. And so I can have more room lol
I like this plan! There's a lot to be said about just doing a thorough bike AND shop cleaning in terms of motivation. Sometimes you just gotta push the 'Reset" button!

Post up a pic of the R....

Flossyb20
08-22-2014, 11:42 AM
A kid enthusiasm is contagious!! I know that helped me back when I was stuck on a rebuild!

X2...nothing like having the kids out there with you...everything you've done a dozen times is usually brand new to them, and most are just happy to be helping Dad. My five year old is always out there, loves seeing the new painted parts go on and the trike come together...keeps me motivated.

tri again
08-22-2014, 02:17 PM
ugggg. here I sit surrounded by trikes.
Guys wants the 125m, someone else wants a couple matched set 110's.
I got guilt tripped into selling an 85 sx and 86 sx, something I will never forgive myself for.
How many do you need?
welp?
rather have the trikes than THAT g.f. for sure.
They're getting hard to find.
Should dusted off the 90 / 110 's, kept a couple and KEPT the sx's.
Sometimes I need to bump my head to knock sense into myself.
Life is a sine wave, not always up and not always down but hopefully balance somehow.
Maybe the excitement of finding a bigred or sx to replace the ones that ran away from home will motivate me.
Also thinking about what to 'leave' on the farm for future generations.
Would love to leave a few trikes for future barn finds.

or
someone will have a huge garage sale and just sell off all my favorite stuff.
Keep what makes you happy and if i's a good idea today, it will be a good idea tomorrow.

Everything hurts these days so I don't waaaana do ANYthing but also the reason I HAVE trikes.
I can get around without walking.
never shoulda sold the sx's.
waaaaaaaa

Dirtcrasher
08-22-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm single and I need about 5 trikes. And I am always changing suspensions and carbs and you name it. Buy another lathe, sell the old one and on and on; It takes allot out of you but it's all I focus on....

You have a FULL PLATE.

Just like Jason Hall I often wonders what motivates him to work 60 hours and come home, run a machine shop, fill customers orders, unbreak what everyone broke and still make it out to these rides. The answer is, he must never stop. As soon as you slack off for awhile, you lose interest because you are overwhelmed.

I'm headed outside soon but can't have more than 1 or 2 beers or that ship sails.......

DC

R.J.M.
08-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Well I got a good start on things this past weekend. With some help from my son we got the shop mostly cleaned and organized and even sold off some of my 70 stuff, even tinkered with the trikes a little. $400 later and a clean shop I think I found the motivation button again lol. Thanks again for everyone's input.

R.J.M.
09-16-2014, 11:32 AM
For the past few weeks I've been out in the shop tinkering with things. It been very relaxing and a stress reliever. Recently picked up a first gen R as a project and the kids have been out riding quite a bit so now I have a good reason not to be unmotivated anymore.

Dirtcrasher
09-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Good for you bud, gotta start somewhere.

I do find it overwhelming ALLOT of times and just stare at them like you did, :lol:

R.J.M.
09-16-2014, 08:38 PM
Thanks dirtcrasher, I still find myself doin it. I get excited and n the mood to go work on something then when I get out there it's like I don't know what one or where to start so I just stare at them Lmao.