PDA

View Full Version : 200x, spark issues

Chickenhawk327
08-22-2014, 03:42 PM
i have a 200x and am having spark issues: it has sat for several years and i went to get it going up again and i went to check spark and i have nothing i have tried two different cdi modules, two different coils, and have checked all of the wiring and connections, also i am getting 200 ohms from the red/black stator coil wire. Does any one know how i could check the coil? or the cdi module? and how the check the sensor or whatever it is under the timing cover marked CDI? any help is greatly appreciated!!

Chickenhawk327
08-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Also would a stator coil from a 200s (pull start) OR a 200es (BIG RED kick start and electric start) work on my 200x

ps2fixer
08-22-2014, 07:43 PM
If i'm thinking right, the 200 series engines should be just about the same for the stator setup, check the part numbers first to make sure they match across models.

The part under the CDI cover is a pickup coil to tell the CDI when to spark, basically like a distributor. It is tested via ohm reading too, I'm thinking it should be something like 70ohms, the service manual would have the exact numbers.

Here is a good question, have you replaced the spark plug? I have had it where the spark plug would even spark out in the open, but put it in the engine and nothing, replaced it and it fired right up. If you go buy a spark plug, get the correct OEM brand, should be NGK.

Chickenhawk327
08-22-2014, 11:27 PM
thanks for the reply and which wire should i test from the pickup coil, and no i havent replaced the spark plug

ps2fixer
08-23-2014, 12:59 PM
I opened up the service manual, it is called a Pulse Generator.

There is 2 wires that come out of the cover, you take the ohm reading between the two assuming yours is the common 83-85 year.

1983 is 30-200ohm
84-85 is 50-150 ohm

The air gap should be set to 0.3-0.4mm (0.012-0.016 in)

Alternator testing:

Lighting coil - Yellow wire to engine ground reading should show continuity.
Exciter Coil - Black/red wire to engine ground reading should be 100-400ohm

Ignition Coil Testing:
Primary Coil should read 0.2-0.8 ohm (coil ground to spade connector, I think a green wire connects there if I remember right)
Secondary Coil should read 3-5k ohm (coil ground to spark plug connector)

Hopefully that will get you started, there is testing methods for the CDI box too, but the best test is to use a known good one and try it.

Chickenhawk327
08-24-2014, 12:38 PM
ok thanks but could you describe the ign coil procedures differently? they are about as clear as mud to me....

Chickenhawk327
08-24-2014, 01:34 PM
i have very low ohms, 50, coming from the red black stator coil wire, right around 50 for the pulse generator, which is ok, and from engine ground to the spark plug wire i have 10,000 ohms

Primary coil reads hair above zero which should be fine
Secondary coil reads 9,000

So im guessing either stator coil or cdi hoping its the stator coil

ps2fixer
08-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Here is a link to the service manual, it gives photos on how to test, way better than trying to explain in just words :).

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

I was on Page 203.

Going off the readings above, the exciter coil is out of spec, but it might function enough to spark, however the spark plug wire/secondary ignition coil seems to be overly high resistance. If you have another coil around, I'd give it a swap and see if you can get any spark. There are tons of machines that use the same style of coil just for testing, I put a 185s coil on a 200x before to test before. If you don't have one, I should have one laying around for cheap somewhere since I have 3 machines, and only 1 staying complete.

Chickenhawk327
08-25-2014, 12:12 PM
i have tried a different coil i did not test it but it did not spark either i also tried another cdi which did not give me spark either so im going to first get a new plug and if that does not make change im out to get an exciter coil!! THANKS!

ps2fixer
08-25-2014, 06:18 PM
No problem, hopefully it is the spark plug, it is the cheapest part of them all :).

jacobfour
08-25-2014, 07:04 PM
I had similar issue but I have a 250r I had the right ohms from everything and no spark. I bypassed the ignition switch and bam I hav spark and it runs like a champ. So might consider doing that. I guess sitting for a while the contacts n the ignition switch Wernt making good contact

ps2fixer
08-25-2014, 10:10 PM
I had similar issue but I have a 250r I had the right ohms from everything and no spark. I bypassed the ignition switch and bam I hav spark and it runs like a champ. So might consider doing that. I guess sitting for a while the contacts n the ignition switch Wernt making good contact

You could ohm the wires from the ign switch to verify that it opens/closes correctly, good tip!

Crazyktmmatt
08-26-2014, 02:36 AM
My BR I replaced everything in it. Its got LOTS of spark now