PDA

View Full Version : Shop Layout

R.J.M.
08-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Sitting here at work waiting on people and got to thinking about my shop at home, I've got a 24'x24' detached garage and I'm wanting to put some cabinets and work benches in it but not sure how to go about the layout or how I want it. Please post some pics of your work shops if u will so I can get some ideas. I'll post some of mine when I get home this evening.

M.Pargiello
08-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Since no one has posted I'll throw mine up. This is one half of a 2 stall. Got some more large steel cabinets for chemicals and such since this picture. I just need a new welder, Then a pole barn.

6speedthumper
08-28-2014, 06:16 PM
I'd be glad to put pictures of mine up, but, it's our repair shop with 4 lifts and an alignment rack. Don't think that'll help you much.

chargercharlie
08-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Probably this day and age folks are apprehensive about posting there private area but heres mine..

DohcBikes
08-31-2014, 12:08 AM
this day and age folks are apprehensive about posting there private area but heres mine..That's what she said.

The service area at the shop where I work.

199948 199949

I'll post pics of my 'private area' tomorrow...:D

chargercharlie
08-31-2014, 09:20 AM
Maybe I should have worded that differently but thanks for the laugh this morning lol.

90guy
09-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Well I have a 24X26. Just a plain Jane shop. Stores my toys and will fit both my Pickups. But I have a 2 car attatched for my daily drivers so its just a shop to me haha.200371200372200373

R.J.M.
09-04-2014, 11:06 AM
I know I haven't posted pics yet but will get them up asap. 90guy my shop is layed out exactly like yours but not as clean lol, I've been working on that though. Thanks for everyones post and photos specially yours 90guy, gives me a good idea how mine could look. Keep the photos comin it helps and is really neat to see the different places where we can escape from everything and work on our projects.

Dirtcrasher
09-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Probably this day and age folks are apprehensive about posting there private area but heres mine..

YUP!! I am 20 wide and 16' deep. On one side wall I have two 3 Tier 6' long shelves for parts and bins with oils and such etc. In between that 12' of shelving, I have my tall dual stage air compressor. And an air conditioner that cannot be removed unless you have a tank, :lol:.

The other side has my big toolbox, a rolling cart and welding equipment.

The back wall has the lathe and a mill kitty cornered. Also an electric heater from a " Victoria Secrets " rebuild stock room on an HVAC job. 230V, heats the shop that is insulated perfect.

The front wall has a thick steel bench with a vice (4' light above), drawers built into it and shelving below. Other side of the front has grinders and disc sanders as well as the all important radio.

I just roll the trikes out to work and roll them back in.

I have near 100Amps, cable, alarm and telephone cable buried deep.

The light source is in the center and it's a 400W Metal Halide. The ceiling is insulated as well and has 2 - 8' x 16' attic portions for frames, tires, packaging materials and boxes. I close up the entry position in the winter with thick foam board so the heater doesn't ramp up the electric bill.

24x24 would be an awesome size!!; Although, I have plans for a 30 x 60 metal building and opening a shop for full time work. Or I'll build an attached garage probably 28' x 24'.

EDIT - I suggest a 10 second panic alarm and a hidden camera that just keeps recording as well as others outside to see unauthorized vehicles coming in my yard as my driveway is about 120' long. I have 4 cameras total and they catch any motion at all. Even though I have a nice rural neighborhood, I have to protect my investments. It worked at one of my apartment houses and caught the guy stealing my huge antique cement mixer. He was convicted and ordered to pay restitution, probation and 100 hours of community service. He also pays a court fine and 100$ to me monthly until it is paid off.

pipeline triker
09-04-2014, 03:29 PM
My shop is 24x24 also but it has a 12x14 office part on it. One thing I have learned with a smaller shop is you keep it clean or you can not move. mine is all white on the inside. Our church put new lights in so I got all the ones that were in the church, I have 9, 4 bulb 2x4 foot lights in the shop. I do alot of painting and love not having any shadows. I have a 7x9 overhead door. Building had a full 16 footer but I did not need that big of a door and the wall space was more important to me. I have one large cabinet maybe 2.5 feet deep, 5ft wide and about 6 feet tall. I keep the large containers of thinners and other flamables in it as it has a base that comes up about 7 inches and should hold more than I have in it if something should leak. My one wall is mostly bench , entrance door, big old welder and a large upright comp. I have lots of shelves up, about a foot and a half from the ceiling around most of the wall space. I have a metal 55 gallon drum for scrap metal, a smaller one for aluminum,and a large garbage can. I have a couple build threads going and you can see my layout in the pics, if you wanted. Set it up for how you will like it, I can fit 3-4 snowmobiles or atvs in mine with room to work yet.

R.J.M.
11-09-2014, 07:07 PM
finally got the shop organized for the most part, just little thing here and there left to do

pics aren't the greatest will get better ones and post them

MIK6
11-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Heres a few shots of my shop..

R.J.M.
11-09-2014, 10:49 PM
MIK6 I've thought about building table like that but how much of a pain is to get your trike up and down? I like the layout of your work area by the way.

MIK6
11-09-2014, 10:59 PM
I have ramps same as for my truck.. the 4x4s roll up it..
I put trikes on by myself w/o a problem
I used 2x6s 1ft on center and 3/4 plywood, I can put the atv jack under a 700lb quad and get all 4 wheels off the ground. Better to over build it!
I put 2x4s in spots so when bench is empty I mount my harborfreight tire machine to it. I change mounting vice and grinders/ polishers depending on project im working on.
I also mounted 2 wheelbarrow tires on the back, when tires are flat bench legs are on ground, add air and use a floor jack on other side and I can wheel out bench w atvs on top to pressure wash or whatever..
ill have to clean shop up and get a few more picts.

Buck Snort
11-09-2014, 11:14 PM
Some of my shop!

El Camexican
11-10-2014, 02:32 AM

Not everyone

atc007
11-10-2014, 07:54 AM
I was WAITING. And I though you'd say you had to shave,and then hook us up. He with the cleanest shop I've seen :)

czac
11-11-2014, 03:06 PM
heres my shop, its also in a detached garage, maybe 24 x 18 or 20 or there about... as you can see though, that's pretty much enough room to stuff everything under the sun possible into it and have just enough room left over to shimmy straight in and straight back out. lol, lol, lol...

http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/Other/Oxford-and-wallingford-houses/i-qCdKFJ4/0/L/shop1-L.jpg

http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/Other/Oxford-and-wallingford-houses/i-nHGtrQD/0/L/drying%20wood%20under%20table%20saw-L.jpg

DohcBikes
11-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Wow Craig... looking forward to your story on 'Hoarders' :)

Here's a corner to corner of our hobby shop. My bro jman311 is nice enough to share his space with me!!
Since he works at a power sports dealership and I work at a motorcycle/atv repair and performance shop, we don't need a whole lot of tools or lifts. I work on my friends bikes here but to be completely honest, It's basically a clubhouse for grown children.

We recently installed a gas furnace that brother DJ acquired for free as a takeout unit.

czac
11-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Wow Craig... looking forward to your story on 'Hoarders' :)

soon...
its actually a lot cleaner now...those pics were taken near the end of winter a couple years ago, when its too cold to stand there and put everything back in its proper spot! and most of that wood has either been burned or cut up for use in some wood turning project or other project... lol

oldskool83
11-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Here mine...not much room. Been putting everything on the walls and in lofts.

bigdaddyvw185
11-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Here are some pics of my shop as it sits in its new configuration. Tho I am running out of floor space. its a big old barn 18''X30'' with 2 floors so the ground level is the work shop then the upstairs is storage. This tax season I am going to be looking into a bigger air compressor and need to re arrange again to find a place for my sandblasting cabinet.204363204364

R.J.M.
11-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Here are some pics of my shop as it sits in its new configuration. Tho I am running out of floor space. its a big old barn 18''X30'' with 2 floors so the ground level is the work shop then the upstairs is storage. This tax season I am going to be looking into a bigger air compressor and need to re arrange again to find a place for my sandblasting cabinet.204363204364

I've been eyeballing those lifts but just can't swing it right now. Use to work part time at a local atv shop where they had them, makes things so much easier lol

jakep53
11-12-2014, 04:38 AM
well here is my shed 200 ft long 50ft wide! and i know its messy it was a mess when i started and is worse now there is probably an extra 20 bikes in there now from these pics!