PDA

View Full Version : need electrical help big red 250es

askandy
08-25-2014, 02:03 PM
with anew battery fully charged. wont start auto or manualy. taillights are all that work. no neutral or rev. light with key in on position. checking fuses today . could this be the igniton key switch?

85BigRed300
08-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Check your neutral/reverse sensor plugs, although I think it will start manually even if disconnected.

askandy
08-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Check your neutral/reverse sensor plugs, although I think it will start manually even if disconnected.

I will check them. where are they located?not starting manually.

tri again
08-25-2014, 04:20 PM
let me go look,
under a sheetmetal shield (10mm) but ez to bend out of the way.
2 wires to switches by foot brake.
They get loose...neutral and reverse safety switches.
Kill switch ok? and clean? do NOT cut it has a plug.
any spark?
new to you?
has it ever run?

tri again
08-25-2014, 04:23 PM
let me go look,
under a sheetmetal shield (10mm) but ez to bend out of the way.
2 wires to switches by foot brake.
They get loose...neutral and reverse safety switches.
Kill switch ok? and clean? do NOT cut it has a plug.
any spark?
new to you?
has it ever run?
oh, and a goofy fuse in a rubber boot and plastic box, looks like an end wrench.

askandy
08-27-2014, 10:09 AM
found the switches. to test them for continuity do i place one lead on the switch post ,and the other lead to the switch treads or engine case. doing this i got no continuity for either switch. im not sure if im testing continuity improperly or that the switvhes are bad. today i am inspecting the kill switches and the like uptop. if either or both rev/nuetr switches are bad ,will that prevent the bike from starting manually?

askandy
08-27-2014, 10:14 AM
yes it has run 2 weeks ago , i started it manually. i remember the neutral light flickering. i ran the engine for a few minutes ,dsaid" ah, it works .i will start the yard tomorrow first thing." next day, no lights, nostart, suspected old dry battery(it was) bought and charged a new battery, installed . all i get are taillights.

askandy
08-27-2014, 10:22 AM
the 20amp fuse near the battery? what a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to get to! i am assuming that power to the taillights means this fuse is still good. i am new to working on cycles. not new to work! i take care of my cars myself generally. i aint scared to take this whole bike apart but i want to be smart about it and less the fool.like most people, im not made of money so i want to make intelligent decissions. ill take all the advice i can get,.

giggity
08-27-2014, 01:10 PM
I had the same issue. There are two wires connected to some sort of fuse behind the right foot pedal. They are under a metal flap thats bends over the wires. Check that