PDA

View Full Version : 1985 ATC Help

Youngturdle
08-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Hello, new to the forms. I am needing help rebuilding my motor. I had my ATC for about a year now and had a guy building it for me. We'll we got into a fight and now I'm stuck with a bunch of parts. And diagrams and step by instructions would help. I will post a picture as soon as I can. Thanks199608199609199610199611

DohcBikes
08-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Welcome to Three Wheeler World.

Let's get started by learning what engine you have. So, what model is your trike?

Once we know that, then you can choose your model from the list of service manuals on this page...http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/.

Pics, Pics, Pics.:beer

Youngturdle
08-25-2014, 05:31 PM
1985 ATC 70. Sorry I meant to put that

chargercharlie
08-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Like dohc said your best start is to get the manual for your model and study it well before you do anything..If you help your self that way everyone will be more inclined to answer any questions you may have..welcome!

DohcBikes
08-25-2014, 06:44 PM
Well then, here I go on the chinese motor swap campaign trail again. You'll be WAY ahead if you just buy a 125cc semi auto lifan engine.

I just bought one for $340 shipped with a brand new carb, wiring, cdi, coil, intake, etc. Mark my words, you'll have to spend more $$ rebuilding that motor than you would if you just replaced it.

Now, I see that you have already purchased a topend kit. I'd sell it, and the rest of the 70 motor parts. End up with a brand new engine with no issues and twice the power.

If you can't make this choice for some reason (it should be a good one,,) then as charlie said, it's time to start reading. Here is a link to your specific manual. http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/honda/ATC70_85.pdf Read chapters 4-10 about 5 times.

Be damn sure you have an 85. Check the 10th digit of the V.I.N on the frame neck, it should be 'F' if it is an 85.

Youngturdle
08-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the help. Yea I have been reading as that's what I needed. I can rebuild a 2 stroke but no experience with four strokes. And as for buying a new motor the guy was rebuilding it because it was very sluggish and low compression, it did run. But I thank you guys for all your help gone see if I can get it back together.