PDA

View Full Version : Hankook Dynapro ATM or BF Goodrich All Terrain?

Scootertrash
08-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Truck is a 99 Silverado 2500

Been running BFG All Terrain for years on my trucks. Got a chance to check out a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM a coworker had on his truck the other day.Nice looking tires with a similar tread to the BFGs. He claims they wear well and have excellent traction in the snow. He pulls a skid steer in the winter for plowing.

Anyone here ever compared the two or switched from BFG to the Hankook tires?

Thanks!

clmeue37
08-25-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm on my second set of Hankook Dynapro atm's on my 1/2 ton chevy pickup. They wear very well and aren't loud going down the road. 65000 miles on the first set. I pull a trailer a few times a month but nothing terribly heavy. I've found them to be a good all around tire.

My old boss used to run the BFG All Terrains on all of his f350s. He'd get around 35000 out them but those trucks were abused daily. They always had a very "soft" feeling and wore extremely fast.

Scootertrash
08-25-2014, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna tray a set of the Hankooks. I really like the AT's but I'm lookin to save a little $ on this set of tires.

6speedthumper
08-25-2014, 10:03 PM
I've never cared for the BFG AT's. All have seemed to wear too fast, and be too soft. Come to think of it, I don't think I have seem any that didn't get cupping.

I personally run Firestone TransForce AT's on my truck, and have gotten 50k out of the set that is on there now. Am actually replacing them this week. My truck is not easy on tires either. It's only a regular cab, long bed, 2500HD 4x4, with the 8.1L. It's nothing to break the assend loose on that truck. And, with it being so light, I have to run no more then 50psi in my rear tires, unloaded. Otherwise I'll destroy them in no time. So, for a truck that's light, powerful, tows, and deals with my driving habits (I like to light em up and have fun), 50k is really good. I also, rotate them every oil change (3k miles for me).

If a more off road thread pattern is desired, the Nitto Terragrappler has shown to be a really good tire. Harder compound, not very loud, handles weight well, and I'm seeing them get really good service life. Just my .02

Thorpe
08-25-2014, 11:42 PM
One of the guys at my kiddos daycare went from the BFGs to the hankooks, and absolutely hates them... F250 v10 (whatever year, all those big ugly fords look the same) He was very jealous of my new Goodrichs on my Ram. Says they are wearing poorly, and sidewalls are weather checking prematurely. $ for my last set of BFGs was painful, but I can't wait for snow! Second the idea of the Nitto terra grapplers. My father had a set on his duramax 2500 and was happy with them, similar life to the BFs and same kinda winter traction, but less money. Pops has had Goodrichs to compare to as well...

Dirtcrasher
08-26-2014, 12:14 AM
I have run 33" BFG on 3 Toys. All of them climbed and were great off road.

But on road, they spin so easy on pavement. Add a mist of rain and you aren't going anywhere fast.

I can rail that truck when there warmed up but off road is the only place they shine......

DohcBikes
08-26-2014, 12:27 AM
This is where I buy my all terrain/light truck tires. Take the time to check this website out. I can personally vouch for seven sets of these tires, and adding the 'kedge' compound is worth every penny.

https://www.treadwright.com/

DohcBikes
08-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Yes retreads. Treadwright makes excellent tires, 28 tires so far and not a single complaint. This guy (two thumbs to me) is not easy to please either. I've bought and recommended so many tires from them that they will allow me to special order tires to have the cases, pattern, and load range in the size I want, regardless of whether they offer it on the website. The customer service is phenominal.

The last two sets I ordered were the guard dog m/t's for a couple of my jeeps. The kedge grip contains walnut shells and glass. The shells kick out of the tread as it wears and create sipes, and the glass just grips everything it touches, especially ICE!!! I have never had a off road tire that performs half as well in wet or freezing conditions.

El Camexican
08-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Bfg = nfg...

Motorgidd
08-26-2014, 09:22 AM
I put Hankook Dynapro's on our 95 Blazer and on our 98 Silverado. They seem to be a great tire so far. They have been on for about a year and seem to be holding up well. Traction in snow is pretty good too.

M.Pargiello
08-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Goodyear duratracs, throw away those dated bfg's boys.

Awesome everywhere except deep/slick mud. They have pockets for studs, And minimal to no road noise.

RIDE-RED 250r
08-26-2014, 09:59 PM
The 06 F-250 I drive and plow snow with at the highway dept had a set of those Goodyear Duratracs on it when I started there in january. They were almost worn out and I was impressed with how well they actually still did.... The next set of tires for my 06 Silverado will be Goodyear Duratracs....

I have 35" BFG Mud Terrain HM2's on my k-10... cool tires, but VERY LOUD on the highway!

90guy
08-27-2014, 07:51 AM
Worked at a tire shop for my college years. I keep seeing hankooks weather checking way early on everything from the car tires to the truck tires. I'm a toyo fan. But I have installed a lot of durtracs and everyone seems to have good feedback about them. I think they will prob be the next set I put on my truck.

The Goat
08-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Can't say anything bad about my wife's general grabber at2s. 23k miles and zero measurable wear.

clmeue37
08-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Can't say anything bad about my wife's general grabber at2s. 23k miles and zero measurable wear.

X2 on the genital grabbers. Had them on my old truck. Excellent tires.

Mr. Clean
08-29-2014, 05:15 PM
X2 on the genital grabbers.

What type tires? Got a link? :lol:

clmeue37
08-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Lol. That's what my little brother always called them!

Thorpe
08-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Can't believe there are so many that disapprove of the BFGs... I love everything about them but the price!

Scootertrash
08-30-2014, 06:59 AM
Yea Thorpe, me too. That's why I'm checking into an alternative. I'm not much of a fan of anything Goodyear, it seems like the Hankooks and the Nittos are a popular choice judging from this and another forum I posted on, along with the sales person that I talked to at Discount Tires Direct.

Chopsaw
08-30-2014, 07:13 AM
Just put a set of Cooper Discover A/T 3 on mine yesterday . Had BFG before . Never really cared for them , but I had over 60k on them . Cooper makes a nice tire . Geuss I'll see how long they last .

tanks350x
09-07-2014, 12:05 AM
I'm in the business, been in the business for close to 18 years. My company is owned by Michelin N.America. We sell Michelin, B.F Goodrich, Uniroyal, Pirelli, Hankook, and a couple of off brand models. Do yourself a favor and stay away from those good year junks, Nitto garbage, and overpriced Cooper crap bags.. Go with the Hankooks, They're a lot nicer tire than the B.F G's and at a lot less money also..As long as you keep them balanced, rotated, and a good alignment on the truck, they'll be fine...If you can get past they're place of origin, such as Korea and China, you'll be all set .Personally, I'd go with the Michelin LTX AT2 but, that's just me! kinda biased like that..Michelin gets a ad rap with te dry rotting and cracking but, if you buy the warranty, they stick by it... and they give you a pretty good discount on the replacements