PDA

View Full Version : New ride: 1984 Yamaha YTM225DXL, farmer find $200!

atctrike
08-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Hey gang,

Getting close to full access to the site, yeeha!

Here is the 84 225DX I just picked up. Got this trike and a matching donor for $200 from a local farmer. His dad bought it new here where we live and it came with the original owners guide and certificate of origin from 1984! The guy I got it from had the camshaft seize in the head so he bought the other one (complete minus plastics) and swapped over the head and he never got it running after he did the work years ago. Major carb cleaning and minor timing adjustment and she took right off! EVERYTHING works: front and rear brakes from foot and hand controls, electric start, headlight high/low beams, taillight, original owner added horn and the custom made trailer hitch and cargo rack, the aftermarket straight open exhaust sounds awesome. The only thing it needed was a throttle cable, $15 ebay buy later and its all good to go!

Trying to decide if i'm going to flip it and take the cash or just keep it and ride the heck out of it. If only it wasn't yellow...yuck! I have a ton of good parts on that companion parts trike too if a guy was gonna keep it...Super fun ride with a surprising amount of power, pulls the front wheel in 2nd gear without even trying!

The only issue I have found is its very noisy at idle behind the RH engine cover, down low so I'm figuring its a clutch issue? Shifts fine, doesn't slip, using a stethoscope it doesn't sound like anything is contacting the case. Any ideas or known issue help is greatly appreciated!!!

YamaBoss
08-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Wow, lucky man!! Nice find

rdonald1979
08-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Great find for 200. Really. Is there shavings in the oil.

atctrike
09-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Great find for 200. Really. Is there shavings in the oil.

When I first got it and changed the oil both the screen behind the oil plug and the filter were clogged and there was a significant amount of shavings in the oil. That is why the original cam seized in the head I'm sure. I rode it quite a bit this weekend and plan on changing the oil again to see if there's more. Does seem to slip a little bit before fully engaging first gear, but other than that it ran like a top. I did adjust the clutch per the shop manual as well before riding....

czac
09-04-2014, 11:14 AM
REALLY SWEET DEAL! you got lucky. I gotta make me a trailer hitch for mine, at least if I can pull the garden cart, ill have more chances to actually ride the damn thing... lol

czac
09-04-2014, 11:16 AM
REALLY SWEET DEAL! you got lucky. I gotta make me a trailer hitch for mine, at least if I can pull the garden cart, ill have more chances to actually ride the damn thing... lol

hell, maybe I l find some sort of lawn mower I can pull around and cut the grass with it too....lol maybe other garden / yard attachments...

YamaBoss
09-04-2014, 11:35 AM
hell, maybe I l find some sort of lawn mower I can pull around and cut the grass with it too....lol maybe other garden / yard attachments...

http://instagram.com/p/p4s_6YBdVu/

Check that out. That's what you wanted right?

czac
09-04-2014, 11:42 AM
http://instagram.com/p/p4s_6YBdVu/

Check that out. That's what you wanted right?

shoot, I already got that...lol I guess I could just tow the tractor around in neutral with the cutters engaged! lol...

socs28
09-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Great find, we have 2 of them, 85's most reliable bike we've owned

atctrike
10-15-2014, 01:06 PM
I ran the first oil change for less than 10 hours and changed it, both the drain plug screen and filter were once again full of metal shavings. I figure I'm gonna have to dig in to the clutch setup and find out what is rubbing where. Good news is I have another complete bottom end if needed...

HONDAMAN57
10-16-2014, 02:10 PM
Boy that doesn't look healthy at all !!!!! :cry:

muthey
10-16-2014, 11:49 PM
Check with a magnet to see if it's steel or if its aluminum. I have a feeling you're looking at a complete tear down and rebuild on that soon. I would also check the compression and see if its low.