PDA

View Full Version : Whiteshell Manitoba Trike Newbie

btalling
08-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Hi all, Im new to the forum,from Whiteshell Manitoba Canada. recently picked up a 1985 Honda 250sx and a 1985 Big Red. Both needing a lot of work and TLC. I joined this forum in hopes of learning more about these fun machines in order to maintain and bring them back to life. The plans are to bring them back to stock shape, reupholster the seats, ad a silverstar headlight, ad heated hand grips for canadian winter temperatures and possibly a gun rack to the big red.

btalling
09-01-2014, 12:37 AM
quick update, the plan is to work on the SX for now until the winter season gives me more time for Big Red. I purchased 2 meters of fabric to restore the seat, new NGK DR8ES-L spark plug, AGM Motomaster ultra powerspot battery to get the electric start working,
placed an order on two Kenda Bear Claws 22x12x8 which should arrive by mid week.

MattDragontamer
09-01-2014, 06:53 AM
Hey, welcome to the forums.

Nice choice of trikes, the 85-87 sx & es are the top of the line trikes by Honda to have for off-roading in the Canadian wilderness.
Many of the parts on both machines are swappable. So keep that in mind if you are having electrical problems or need a quick fix.

Anywho, many of the parts you can find on ebay for pretty cheap, just watch out for the import charges and exchange rates.
Like the seat coverings... pre tailored, just save the foam, heat, stretch and staple.

For your ES... using it as a parts bike might be your better choice. You should be able to find one in a junkyard or anchorage pretty cheap.
I happen to know a place in St-Paul Ablerta that has a few just sitting there in a field that are mostly complete.

Anywho, shoot me a PM if you need more info. Have fun!

btalling
09-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Hey, welcome to the forums.

Nice choice of trikes, the 85-87 sx & es are the top of the line trikes by Honda to have for off-roading in the Canadian wilderness.
Many of the parts on both machines are swappable. So keep that in mind if you are having electrical problems or need a quick fix.

Anywho, many of the parts you can find on ebay for pretty cheap, just watch out for the import charges and exchange rates.
Like the seat coverings... pre tailored, just save the foam, heat, stretch and staple.

For your ES... using it as a parts bike might be your better choice. You should be able to find one in a junkyard or anchorage pretty cheap.
I happen to know a place in St-Paul Ablerta that has a few just sitting there in a field that are mostly complete.

Anywho, shoot me a PM if you need more info. Have fun!

Thanks for the insight, the big red looks to have a new wiring harness so i may be taking electrical off of it, i was told it needs new bearings in the back. In terms of ordering online so far I've seen some crazy shipping fees on parts so I will try to find as much stuff locally as possible. I should have the 250 running fairly well by next week after doing the oil,diff fluid change. I believe the drum is broken on the back which makes an awful noise, going to pull that apart tonight and see whats going on.

El Camexican
09-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Nice rides. Where about in the Whiteshell are you?

btalling
09-01-2014, 04:25 PM
Thanks, south region

Troyg25
09-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Great finds. That sx should clean up nice.

El Camexican
09-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Thanks, south region

How far from Bird Lake?

btalling
09-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Quick update, got the oil changed on the 250 today, had about 1.5L of oil only, also here's the differential fluid photo, got that changed aswell. Took the rear rims off to notice a bunch of debris stuck wrapped around the axle. Progress slowly being made

btalling
09-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Picked up some Bear Claws today, after reading many reviews on this forum, also ordered a rear axle bearing kit, going to have to research a lot how to swap those, my left side bearing was completely destroyed (found loose ball bearings in the axle when opened the brake drum casing up, greased it up but haven't rode the atc since.

Keepah Rolln
09-05-2014, 07:09 PM
fix up the sx and ride it...Good machine. I use mine for ice fishing...Oh yeah welcome to the site..

btalling
09-06-2014, 11:24 AM
The wheel bearing kit arrived last night, picked up these handle bar grips as well, was considering going heated but going to see how these work for now. Cleaning the carb, doing the bearings and hopefully getting around to reupholstering the seat are this weeks plans

btalling
09-10-2014, 06:27 AM
Test fit the bear claws this evening, my gear shifter bolt managed to snap in half yesterday on the shifter pedal, looks like I'm off to ebay for a new pedal and bolt set.

350for350
09-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Man, those Bear Claws look good. They should be able to get you through a lot of mud. Or maybe you'll just get stuck deeper like I would.

delling3
09-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Nice score. I am looking for a 250es, and they seem to go for top $. You made out real well IMHO.

TrikeGarage
09-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Hi their fellow Canadian, I'm based outa northern sask, and It gets cold to. Good luck man!

btalling
09-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Spent some time Tuesday with a nail gun and re wrapped the seat in fabric store pleather. The foam underneath my seat is trashed so I will be ordering new foam and oem Honda fabric but this will do for now. Haven't started on any of the wiring issues and would eventually like to get the electric start and headlight working.

Mr_Gixxer
09-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Dude, flip that front fender around :p.

Nice sx. She'll clean up just fine. Parts are plentiful and reasonably priced (at time of posting and in the states anyway). Good luck! Any snow up there yet??

btalling
09-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Dude, flip that front fender around :p.

Nice sx. She'll clean up just fine. Parts are plentiful and reasonably priced (at time of posting and in the states anyway). Good luck! Any snow up there yet??

hahaha i just realized that front fender, i noticed it was burnt on the lower side red plastic, that would explain something.

I plan to get the body completed by december or so, then take the motor and wiring to work on over the winter months.

No snow up in Manitoba yet, Alberta got about 6 inches earlier this week though.

Mr_Gixxer
09-12-2014, 10:50 AM
hahaha i just realized that front fender, i noticed it was burnt on the lower side red plastic, that would explain something.

I plan to get the body completed by december or so, then take the motor and wiring to work on over the winter months.

No snow up in Manitoba yet, Alberta got about 6 inches earlier this week though.

Mine is a little melted too but on the black part haha!

Yea, the snow will be here before ya know it. Haven't had the chance to play in the snow yet. I can't wait for snow now, but I could wait for the cold that's for sure!

wpginterceptor
04-08-2015, 10:45 PM
welcome, im in Winnipeg!