PDA

View Full Version : 81 honda 250r axle bearing replacement please help

khoffmnn16
08-31-2014, 05:44 PM
Hey everyone, as you can see from the title I have a 1981 honda 250r. I'm attempting to replace the axle bearings and I'm stuck on the drum breaks, I can't figure out how to get them off. I was assuming that the axle slides out to the right when looking at it from the back so if that is right the sprocket will stay on and the breaks have to come off but I can't figure out for the life of me how to do that. So I'm hoping someone on here knows more than I do about this antique and could give me some of your knowledge. Iv searched all over the webs trying to find something but since 81 is the only year honda did drum breaks on their 250r iv had no luck

manbearpig
09-01-2014, 09:26 AM
Welcome to 3WW

remove the hubs, remove the jam nuts, slide the axle out, brake drum will fall off.

its possible that things are rusted in place, but if you are able to get the axle out, the drum brake will just fall off. there is a splined steel sleeve in the "finned" section of the drum brake and if that rusts to the axle it would make removing the axle and drum brake very difficult.

take some pics. that may help us help you.

member 300R has an 81 that he races and might be more familiar than I am. i have 82's

khoffmnn16
09-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. yeah thats what I couldn't figure out, if it was splined on there or if it was threaded on there. Both sides are locked on there right now so i can't get the axle off. So I'm soaking it in oil and then I will comence beating the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out of it. Hopfully I will be able to knock one of the sides loose

shortline10
09-01-2014, 11:22 AM
I like to use an old hub and a 1 foot piece of 1 1/2" heavy guage steel pipe to beat on the end of the axle so nothing get destroyed . Please don't hit the end of the axle ....

khoffmnn16
09-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Yeah I was using a block of wood and didnt have the nut on and I kinda messed up the threads. But I will be able to fix that. I dont have any old hubs so I will have to find a different way of not detsroying it. But I wont mind destroying the axle if there is a longer axle I can replace it with, not sure what other axles will fit if any

atc300r
09-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Do what was mentioned above. I use a block of hardwood and a sledge make sure your trike is stationary. There are three bearings in the rear of the 81 250r.Two in the swingarm bearing housing and one in the brakedrum backing plate.Longer axles are hard to find for the 81 because of the width of the drum setup.

khoffmnn16
09-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Do you know if there is any way to convert it to disc breaks like putting a 82 axle on our am I stuck with drum breaks

Nevermind think I found my answer to that, seems like too much work this thing is just a weekend beater. Thanks for everyone's input hopefully I can get this thing banged out now

atc300r
09-01-2014, 02:00 PM
If you want disc brake setup easyest way is to get rear brake pedal and swingarm, axle and disc from a 82 250r and you will have to fab up a mount for the mastercylinder and resivor.

khoffmnn16
09-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Yeah I've been riding it for the last year without any back breaks so I think I'll just continue doing that. I need to put my money into buying something a little newer with more readily available parts