PDA

View Full Version : Honda Atc 70 #5, electric start issue.

penney323
09-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Hey guys, I ve been building atc 70's for a while now. This is my first atc 70 with electric start and reverse. Wondering if anyone had any trouble with putting an electric start on there 70, or where they put the battery to. any pics or help would be appreciated. Thanks.trailpro

MattDragontamer
09-02-2014, 01:05 AM
You have three options...

1. Cut and mount into the frame (check out the Trikefest build)

2. Get a battery box http://www.hondaatc70.com/Pages/LightingandElectrical.aspx - half way down the page

3. Mount inside the rear of the frame.

BOB MARLIN
09-02-2014, 08:58 AM
I built a battery box that is attached on the rear, right under the grab bar. The same battery used on the 400ex size quads fits perfect right there. If you have a motor with the starter on top it creates a bit of a problem with the carb.

penney323
09-03-2014, 06:00 PM
hey thanks guys. Appreciate the input. I am thinking on mounting the battery in the back of the frame. Weld up my own battery box, but i am also appearing to have trouble with the starter being on top and the carb neck and tank not fitting. Was thinking on machining down the neck. and face the carb forward like on the gio atvs. Anyone have this issue and how did you resolve it?

BOB MARLIN
09-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Ok, so it seems like you have the seem set up as me. Too me, if you turn the carb around it looks really stupid. I took the intake that came on the doner motor and cut it in half, then cut and ground and turned it until it fit and pointed the right direction to get under the tank and over the starter, then I used some of that aluminum "brazing" rod to weld it back together. I also had to put a 3/8" spacer under the rear tank bolt. The battery is located right under the grab bar. The grab bar is actually holding the battery on the out side near the top. It fits perfect with the right batt.

penney323
09-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks. yes i think i am gonna cut and weld it to the right angle. Do you have any photos of your setup?

Flyingw
09-04-2014, 07:49 PM
This is what I did with mine.

penney323
09-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Thanks appreciate the photos! That atc looks really good and the batter box looks awsome!

Flyingw
09-04-2014, 08:43 PM
It works. The only wires on the battery is the 2 battery cables. If I ever need, I can get to the solenoid terminals to charge the battery.