PDA

View Full Version : 70's, 80's, and even 90's Country...

Caminofeld
09-02-2014, 11:36 PM
I don't usually get too sentimental on here, but had to vent about something that happened at work the other day and has been on my mind a bit...

So I'm orienting a veteran Nurse that's new to the ER from the ICU. She's a friend of mine who I have delivered countless patients to over the years and we occasionally see each other outside of work due to having mutual friends. She has been telling me how she and her husband have a band they're trying to get off the ground and after orientation the other day she played me a few of their songs. They are all original (and pretty damn good), and pull vintage influences such as The Band, the Stones, etc. I asked if they were playing any shows soon and she said they really want to, but don't know where to start. I'm a veteran guitar/bass player who has been in quite a few bands over the years, so I was giving her some advice on the best way to line up a local gig; Which was to get a 45 minute set together and play a local music showcase at the 8x10 with a few other bands (If you bring 10 people, you can play for free). She told me they really have a disdain for cover bands (which I agree with), but I explained how the bar scene works and suggested incorporating a few covers to get their proverbial foot in the door and to hook the audience. She was wondering about what I've been into since I don't currently have a band (I recently gained 50/50 custody of my little guy and he's with me every day I'm off, so I'm devoting 100% of my time and energy into being the best Dad I possibly can)...I played her a clip of me laying down the drums for a new song I wrote that has a Cuban/Afrobeat feel to it and related it to Vampire Weekend...to which she expounded on how much she loves them and went on to tell me about her taste in music. We chatted for a bit more and the topic of Country music came up. Her response was the same one I've heard from so many of my "hipster" friends...which was that they like "real" country like Johnny Cash, but hate "fake" Country like Brooks and Dunn, etc. because "it's so corny" or "it's so fake", or "Do they really have a pickup and a tractor", or something similar...

I consider myself to be a pretty well-rounded appreciator of music, and I've thought the same thing about Taylor Swift, Lady A, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryant, etc. So I'm going through some relatively hard times and am trying to get a startup farming operation off the ground along with realizing my mantra of self-sustainability. For some reason, I recently got a free subscription to Sirius FM on my cable, and my GF and I have been rocking the "Prime Country" channel pretty much non-stop for the past month or two...and let me say that we both LOVE it. It's a good mix of 70's, 80's, and early 90's Country. It was only today while clearing some brush on my property that I realized why I've been so into this channel lately...

I didn't grow up on this stuff. In fact, my Dad raised me on Soul and the great rock of the 60's and 70's. He was the white lead singer in some well-known [otherwise] all-black soul bands of the era...so I grew up listening to Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Allman Brothers, Hendrix, etc.

Really I have only a few memories of Country music in my childhood...

The first was at The Raven Inn; which was the bar that sponsored my Dad's softball team in the 80's. This was an era where kids could be at bars, seatbelts were optional, and if you wanted to call someone you needed a quarter...The jukebox took nickels and had a seemingly endless supply of Alan Jackson, Elvis, Garth, Alabama, etc. We weren't allowed to sit at the bar, so the Dad's would give us change to play music, Pac-Man, and pinball. On any given Tuesday night there would be about 20 kids there, so we would play our favorite Country songs and dance the night away ("There's a tear in my beer" comes to mind). My Dad's team would also always have parties, so we'd hear plenty of Country music there too. Thinking back I can recall so many great memories from those times.

Then there was my Grandparents on my Dad's side; Whom weren't Country at all, but were the 2 greatest people I have ever known. Poppy was born in 1919 and had 6 brothers. After losing 2 to the Spanish Flu, he survived the Great Depression and worked as a brakeman for Canton RR. From there he worked his way up to President of Operations and "retired" rather than do the company's bidding and fire the people that worked under him. Anyways, they would often babysit my Sister and I and take us on "adventures"; which could be anything from fishing to building a teepee and camping to picking apples in the Fall...and I'll always remember them playing Patsy Cline's greatest hits in the cassette player.

The time I remember most was a camping trip to Lake Gaston in Ga. in the early 90's with my Parent's friends Hal and Laura and Hal's son Stephen and their daughter Heather. Hal's son Jeremy was a good friend of mine and was killed a few years before after being hit by a car while running after a ball. Hal was a mountain of a man, a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and about the burliest man I've ever know...and my Dad wasn't too far behind. Anyways, the campground was half tent and half trailer; with those string tiki lanterns, pontoon boats on the lake, and an endless supply of catfish on our fishing poles....so obviously there was too much going on for us to sleep. We ran to Stephen and Heather's tent, rousted them, and then came to the realization that our parents were nowhere to be found. We wandered for a bit then came upon a rather large single-story building with loud music coming from inside. We snuck up to a screen window and there they were; Our parents country line dancing! We hid behind the door and watched them dance everything from upbeat Country swing to slow, romantic country songs until the sun began to peak over the lake. We only slept a few hours before they woke us up, but kept the secret and never told them what we saw.

So I could never in good conscience put down even the cheesiest of country music; because there could be some kid out there having the same experiences that I did when I has his age.

big specht
09-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Damn you like to type I like most of the older one like you said early 90s and back but there are some good new ones coming out but most are hip hop crap

bkm
09-03-2014, 09:15 PM
I didn't grow up on this stuff. In fact, my Dad raised me on Soul and the great rock of the 60's and 70's. He was the white lead singer in some well-known [otherwise] all-black soul bands of the era...so I grew up listening to Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Allman Brothers, Hendrix, etc. .

Go though and read my 250r resto-mod thread in my signature. Your statement brought a tear to my eye. I can totally relate to this.

atc007
09-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Music aside. Giving your little man 100% of your time is exactly what the Dr ordered. I enjoy your posts. Thanx for your service,taking care of people every day. I know it is not easy most days. Great job :)

6speedthumper
09-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Sounds as though you and I grew up on LOTS of the same music, Camino. I've got a lot of memories riding around with my dad in his old, yellow, ex-DOT s-10, picking up cars for him to repair and resell. Many fond memories of us playing games in that truck while listening to; The Traveling Wilburys, The Doobie Brothers, Clapton, Marshal Tucker, Crosby Stills & Nash, Neil Young, and many other great bands and musicians. Like you, I didn't grow up on country, and other then hearing whatever country songs that played on the radio, I didn't start listening to country until we moved south and country music stations are just about everywhere. My dad was a real asshole for about 5-6 years (my teen years) and other then cars; George Strait, Merle Haggard, Willie, George Jones, Randy Travis, and other REAL country singers, is all we had in common.

I cannot stand most any of today's country music. Too corny, too many high pitched male voices, too much attitude for my liking, and WAY too much pop. But, like you said, there are kids out there making the same memories that we made.

atc007
09-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Mine was,and still is. Alabama, On WILQ 105.1...I'll never forget looking at ,,,no ,,,drooling at, The 1982 Honda Big Red brochure,rainy day. My Dad and Brother were at Spook Hollow junk yard getting some parts. It's a memory seared into my mind.Along with many others. Funny isn't it. TRILLIONS of experiences forgotten,but some.. Are just so vivid they are just like 1 minute ago..

350for350
09-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Country's all that I listen to. Mt dad listened to it, but my mom didn't. So after their divorce, I didn't hear it anymore since I lived with Mom. It was rock, then heavy metal, then rap (totally embarrassed about that one!), then to "oldies" rock (50's, 60's, and 70's). Finally after high school, a friend got me into country. We both moved to a small town where rodeo was the big thing. Now I don't really care what kind of country I listen to. Modern, 80's/90's, 50's/60's/70's, even bluegrass. It's kind of funny how I seem to have come the whole circle. My best country music memory from my youth is this. For my 7th or 8th birthday, my parents took me and a bunch of my friends to the Pizza Hut to eat. I can't remember who it was or how they came up with the money at that age, but someone played "the Gambler" by Kenny Rogers on the jukebox A LOT of times in a row. Maybe 7 or 8 times. I'm sure my parents got tired of hearing it, but apparently someone really liked it!

clmeue37
09-06-2014, 02:39 AM
I have similar memories of my dad and even my grandpa on a few occasions. We'd be driving around on a Sunday afternoon (just out for a drive/crop tour...anyone do that anymore?) and one of the country stations played older country music from 1:00 to 3:00 I believe it was. Whether I was riding with dad or grandpa they knew every word to every song that was played. All of the songs told a story (Boy Named Sue by Johnny Cash, The Bird by Jerry Reed, stuff like that) and I remember them singing every single word without hesitation. It's funny how something that seems so simple can leave such a big impression. Maybe my love for the older country music comes from the fact that I grew up around it. I believe it's more due to the memories I have of my dad and grandpa on our Sunday crop tours. The music just makes me smile and remember what I looked forward to all week long back then. It's something that nobody can ever take away from me. My son is 2 1/2 and I look forward to making the same memories with him.