PDA

View Full Version : 225 DX Electric Starting Problem

YamaBoss
09-03-2014, 09:36 PM
I cannot get my 225dx to start with electric start. I have searched and read every thread and tried the suggestions in them. The relay clicks when I hit the start button. It will start one pull every time and runs like a dream.
So far I have done the following.

Got a new:
Solenoid
Relay
Battery
Starter
Fuse
Cleaned and tried a different kill switch
Checked neutral safety switch
It gets 11.75 volts down to the starter
Grounded starter directly to the Battery
Tried to jump the solenoid
Starter spins fast and free when its not in the machine but hooked up and grounded to the frame.
Ive even put my parts on a YTM 200ERN and that starts with my solenoid, relay, battery.

Could it be something in the crank case? Im out of ideas.
If someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

muthey
09-03-2014, 11:37 PM
I'm going to guess there is an issue with your starting gear in the crank case. you will want to open the stator cover to look at it. take a look at this diagram and see what you have in there. http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/50038890f870021f60a09b79/starter-clutch

wide'n'low
09-04-2014, 10:18 AM
X2 something isn't meshing between the starter gear and starter clutch. I have the exact opposite problem mine free spins because the clutch on the start gear is shot.

YamaBoss
09-23-2014, 08:53 PM
I just fixed it! So heres what it was. I took the recoil off, crank case cover off and hit my start button to see what would happen. When I hit the start button it worked as it should. I then realized the aluminum collar piece was pressed too hard against the starter gear and the crank case. I took the collar and lightly sanded about a 1/32 off of it so it would allow it to spin and it worked well. I put it all back together and it fired right up. I assume the crank case gasket got pressed together so tight there was not enough clearance for the collar to spin freely. Problem solved. Thanks for the help guys.