PDA

View Full Version : 12V ATV tank sprayer on YTM200 trike?

jwchatm
09-09-2014, 07:43 PM
I have a large property with a lot of weeds that I would like to control. I am considering purchasing a 10 gallon 12V tank sprayer to be mounted on my YTM200 trike. The property is perfectly flat and I would not be running the tank full so I am not concerned with tipping the trike, but I have questions.

My trike is an 84 Yamaha YTM200 and does not come equipped with a battery or electric starter. It is has a recoil starter. I need to know if I can patch the tank sprayer into the tail light harness to provide 12V power to the sprayer. Can this be accomplished without a battery? Will it damage the trike or the sprayer if I do so? If anyone has done this can you provide some advise on the best way to accomplish this? I wanted to get some answers to these questions before spending money on a sprayer.

--John

jeswinehart
09-09-2014, 10:32 PM
I use a 30 gallon 12 volt sprayer on my 85 Honda Bigred and found it will basically suck the life from the battery even with the trike running at a idle. After spraying 30 gallons of mix,,, if I shut the Bigred off to refill container the battery will not have enough power to start my trike (battery is new and machines starts very well other wise)
I now use a deep cycle battery on the front rack to power the sprayer separately from the trikes charging system.
I personally would not rely on your system for running the pump, I think it will damage something electrical.

john

Flyingw
09-09-2014, 11:45 PM
I have a tow behind sprayer for my yard. I tow it with my SX but as John said, it sucks the life out of the little battery. The solution... I bought a deep cycle marine battery and fully charged, it will run the sprayer no problem with power to spare. The difference between a regular battery and deep cycle marine battery is a regular battery is not designed to be fully depleted. Doing so destroys the battery. It drains a little then the charging system tops it off whereas a deep cycle battery is designed to be fully depleted without harming it. Get a deep cycle battery and strap it to something. when done, put it on a charger.

wide'n'low
09-10-2014, 12:02 PM
x2 on the marine/irrigation deep cycle 12v battery.
a standard lead base battery isn't designed to be drained and charged, its hard on the cells.