PDA

View Full Version : new big red purchase

gypsy danger
09-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Hi All,
I just got an '85 Big Red.......what a monster, $300 and everything works. If anyone would care to advise me on any general care beyond oil change. Do we lube the shaft, giggity, or is there final drive oil to be changed. I just want to keep it going forever. I haven't had a chance to tighten nuts, giggity, or look it over and straighten bent parts. It just needs some minor adjustments and such. There was an extra key that looked like it went to maybe a seat release or trunk but no key hole was found.I need to get some tail lights and side covers, the lights can be almost any 12 volt stuff adapted but side covers are a different story. I welcome any dialog.
Thanks
Dave

hoosierlogger
09-09-2014, 08:03 PM
The only other thing that you should do, is change the rear differential oil. People seem to never change the oil in them. They get water and dirt and all kinds of crud in them. Nothing will ruin a $400 differential faster than water. Let's see some pictures of the old girl.

TrickShot
09-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Contact member "jeswinehart", He makes replacements for the right side cover.

86125m
09-09-2014, 09:31 PM
I know many of the people on the forums don't like them but Maier make both sides cover and they are 100 dollars a set here is the link https://maier-mfg.com/catalog/honda-atc-250es-big-red-sidel-panels

jeswinehart
09-09-2014, 09:46 PM
I know many of the people on the forums don't like them but Maier make both sides cover and they are 100 dollars a set here is the link https://maier-mfg.com/catalog/honda-atc-250es-big-red-sidel-panels

I agree. If you need both left + right side covers those are a real good deal.

john

Keepah Rolln
09-10-2014, 10:53 AM
The key probably went to a optional tool box or storage box for the front rack or something back in the day...

gypsy danger
09-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Thank you all....very kind and will do on suggestions.
Dave

Legns
09-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Pics Pics Pics :pics:

jeswinehart
09-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Possibly the extra key is for the steering stem lock (that is found on the 86 models right ???)

350for350
09-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Engine oil, diff oil, don't forget to clean and oil the air filter. It doesn't hurt to change the spark plug once in a while either. So, Quagmire, when did you move from Quahog to Ohio and why?

gypsy danger
09-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Hey 350, you are funny. I cracked up. Legns, I'll shoot some pics and get them up, giggity, soon. I work a lot. Jes, I'll check the steering stem for a key slot. Next weekend I'll be trading my street bike for a Fourtrax 300. They are the same year, same condition and same value. I have had so many close calls with old people not seeing the street bike I decided to take a break from the street riding. My Intruder is also not a comfortable highway bike. Thanks all again. I look forward to full membership.

350for350
09-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Man, I'm glad to hear that they were only close calls. I know the streets can be dangerous, especially with all of these people that can't seem to remember that the cars they're driving are in the real world and their electronic toys aren't. At least here in Rural America my biggest danger is the deer. Those are bad enough, but at least they aren't texting when they run in front of me!

Jmoozy27
09-30-2014, 02:32 PM
Check for any loud squeaky noises in the rear end. If it makes noises that cannot be quieted with pen lube then you know you are dealing with a metal on metal issue. Those damn 85 rear ends are anything but water tight. If you have to change 1 bearing in the rear end go ahead and break it all down and change the rest. New bearings, seals, greased splines, and silicone on all the unions will make the rebuild a one time ordeal. That is if you take care of ol girl. Awesome trike. They don't make them like those anymore. I have the same model just a little more mismatched with other mid to late 80's atc parts.202248

gypsy danger
10-06-2014, 01:26 AM
Hi All, just deleted a long post by mistake. I have low speed lurching on turns and some noise and movement when rear brake pedal in pushed. I know I have something going on back there but have no idea where to start or diagnose. What are symptoms of......worn axle bearings, worn wheel bearings, pinion gear bad, bad rear shoes or other. I stopped riding it and have no idea whats wrong or how to diagnose. I have been driving in my parking garage on cement. High speeds I either don't notice or feel or hear anything. Any help would be appreciated

gypsy danger
10-06-2014, 01:27 AM
I did hit the back brake assembly with wd40 like lube and it was quiet for a while

Jmoozy27
10-06-2014, 01:16 PM
When you get back from a ride quickly touch the axle tubes. If they are piping hot then you probably have some metal to metal rubbing and the bearings need to be changed. But if you say it's coming from the brake then you may just need to adjust them. I would take of the wheels and hubs to see if:

1: They come off easily and nothing is missing.
2: To see if the bearings are in decent shape.