PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Andymr2
09-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Hi my name is Andy,
This is my 1st post I have a 1985 Honda ATC 350x with no engine.
It is all stock and in pretty good shape but I am missing a vital part.
I am 33 and rode a few different trikes when I was a kid but now I can't
wait to see what I can do this awesome drift machine!
Anyone have an engine for sale?

Cheers

350for350
09-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Keep looking, Andy. With all of the 350x parts installed on other trikes on here, I'm sure someone has an engine. If nothing else, maybe you can find a wrecked 400ex and get the engine and electrical parts from it and use them. You'd probably have to make modifications to make the engine fit, but you'd already have a big bore 350x.

Andymr2
09-11-2014, 03:21 PM
You got it I will keep looking.
Right now there is everything I need on ebay for the 350 but I will look into the 400ex engine.
The engine on ebay isnt complete but Im trying to talk my wife into spending $700 or so.:)
I will look around the site more.

Thanks

muthey
09-11-2014, 07:58 PM
there was a 350x motor up for sale on this facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/670266099709564/

czac
09-12-2014, 08:55 AM
It is all stock and in pretty good shape but I am missing a vital part. Anyone have an engine for sale?

lol,lol,lol.. is that all you're missing? Pfffft. that trike should be up and running in no time! lol...
Welcome to the club Andy. I guess for now you can just have someone tow you around the trails or just do a lot of down hill riding... lol Good luck in the search for the engine, im sure you'll find something. There seems to be a fair amount of parts out there. If I remember right, someone here last summer or possible this past spring had picked up 2 or 3 350X engines they were selling... try a search of 350X engine and see what comes up.

czac
09-12-2014, 09:01 AM
or PM this member... http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/169396-350x-motor-for-sale?highlight=350x+motor+for+sale

Andymr2
09-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys, my options are increasing I should have the money together soon.
I like the way you put it, or I put it czac thats funny:)
Right now I have the trike completely torn apart. I am cleaning and going to paint the frame and other parts.
I still am going to need more like an exhaust, bearings, sprocket, chain you know stuff, but I am dedicated to getting this
done and done right. I have been enjoying looking around and seeing what all you guys have done around here. Its
funny because I pulled the 350x from going into a scrap metal dumpster. I just can't wait to ride it!

czac
09-12-2014, 04:44 PM
how are the plastics and rims and tires? do you have all the other little things like hand grips and levers and such? what about your seat, is it ok? if you have all that, youre going pretty good...

Andymr2
09-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Plastics are ok I have all of them but they are faded. I just read about using break cleaner and steel wool to clean them up. Rims are good, but tires are old im going to run them anyway. Need grips but not levers seat has just a couple cracks at the top but I have the right glue to fix it. My buddy has a sandblaster and I plan on painting the frame white instead of red. I would like to get white plastics eventually to match. Once this frame is painted I know I wont stop until its done. I wasn't able to pm your guy I think its because Im new or I don't know what im doing.

ps2fixer
09-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Miler makes white and red plastic for the 350x if you want to go with new/aftermarket.

I'm shocked no one has done this yet..... PICS! (if you can post them)

On the engine, I bought a really nice one from a member here for ~$400 that restored their machine with a NOS engine, and NOS engines go for something like $700-900 if you really want a low hour engine :).

The other option.... watch for antoher 350x and buy another complete machine that is ugly, clean up and swap the engine and have plenty of parts to last you for 20 years.

350for350
09-13-2014, 08:33 PM
From what I've read, it's brake fluid, not brake cleaner. Brake cleaner can damage paint and some plastics.

Andymr2
09-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Hi guys,
I worked on the trike this weekend. I cleaned up the plastics and found the best results using headlamp plastic polish then I used some spray wax. They look pretty good. I am interested in the $400 engine! I don't want to buy a whole 350x for the engine it seems wasteful to me. I will try and put up some pictures soon.

ps2fixer
09-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Hi guys,
I worked on the trike this weekend. I cleaned up the plastics and found the best results using headlamp plastic polish then I used some spray wax. They look pretty good. I am interested in the $400 engine! I don't want to buy a whole 350x for the engine it seems wasteful to me. I will try and put up some pictures soon.

The $400 engine I'm keeping, it is just what I paid for reference :).

I have a not so pretty engine that will need the top end rebuilt and extract the exhaust studs out. It ran fairly good, but it did smoke (might have been running super rich, smoke was black). I planned to fix it up and throw it on a trx250x frame (only quads are legal on the roads here :(), but the way things are going, I won't be getting to it for a couple of years.

My comment about buying a whole 350x was in the idea that within a year you should be able to find a fair priced entire machine for the same price as a used engine. I don't see it being wasteful, if you buy the engine and get the rest of the machine for free :). Of course if you don't have storage space, it makes complete sense why you wouldn't want to do that.

I bet if you made a new thread looking for an engine, someone will chime in with a ready to rock engine.

Attached is photos of the machine that got the engine. The engine in the phone is the one that smoked/isn't pretty by far.

EDIT: Oh yea, this was my first 350x, about a month later I picked up a really nice one for $800, so you can find good deals on complete machines every so often.

Andymr2
09-15-2014, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=ps2fixer;1331475]The $400 engine I'm keeping, it is just what I paid for reference :).

Sorry I read that wrong. I will try a new thread for an engine soon. I know what you mean about getting a whole machine for the price and parts. I still have lots of work I can do in the mean time. There is no real rush I won't have money for a little bit anyway Im just getting over excited.