PDA

View Full Version : Need tech advice (84 200m head gasket replace)

McQuade
09-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Hello all, I ended up having to replace the head gasket in my trike, and as it sits, it's ready to assemble. However I'm having some concerns about these two little I rings.. When I took it apart there was only one, and when I install them I install the spacer, the O ring, then the head gasket? The manual I referenced seemed vague with barely a mention of it. I'd greatly appreciate a second opinion from someone that's done it thanks!

muthey
09-12-2014, 02:44 PM
by little rings are you referring to the positioning sleeves? If so then sleeves o-ring and then the gasket, I usually use a very thin layer of honda bond on my gaskets to improve sealing

DohcBikes
09-21-2014, 10:47 PM
There should only be one rubber o-ring in the top end. When you say "spacer" im assuming you are referring to your dowel pins. Where one of the dowel pins is located, there will be a larger gap between the head gasket material and the dowel pin. That's where the o-ring goes. Oil travels up and down this stud hole, and the o-ring keeps it from getting out into the gasket. It does not matter what order you set them on the jug before assembly.

While I normally agree with muth on engine stuff, I would steer clear of using any gasket sealant on a head gasket. Proper gasket removal and surface prep, along with quality gaskets under proper torque will ensure a good seal. Do however use hondabond (or threebond, or whatever) on the rocker cover. I've been torquing my 192cc honda top ends to 20 ft. lbs. on the stud nuts, and goottentight on the allen cap screws;)

muthey
09-22-2014, 12:34 AM
DohcBikes"
While I normally agree with muth on engine stuff, I would steer clear of using any gasket sealant on a head gasket. Proper gasket removal and surface prep, along with quality gaskets under proper torque will ensure a good seal. Do however use hondabond (or threebond, or whatever) on the rocker cover. I've been torquing my 192cc honda top ends to 20 ft. lbs. on the stud nuts, and goottentight on the allen cap screws

I just reread what I had wrote, and I wrote it wrong I was meaning the rocker cover which only takes honda bond. I will use some copper spray on head gaskets and cylinder base gaskets to keep them from moving during assembly. You are correct in stating honda bond is not heeded on a head gasket. I would stay away from the multi- piece metal plate head gasket unless you are having your head and cylinder resurfaced. try and buy the gasket that is coated in a anti-seize type paste like automotive exhaust manifold gaskets and it will seal right up. with my honda's versah has been a great gasket set, but with tri-z it came with the multi- piece head gasket and it would not seal no matter what I did. I purchased a cometic top end gasket set and it sealed no problem.