PDA

View Full Version : How old or rare is that US90 or that ATC110

oldcodger
09-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Hi, I have a Aquarius blue US90 and a red 1979 ATC110 honda that I am trying to gather information on.

I originally purchased the two ATC's a few years back from an estate sale with the intention of preparing one for my grandson and maybe using the other to repair a step thru CT90 that has been languishing in my yard. I have since become interested in finding out more about them. I have been on the internet for many hours during the past two years trying to learn as much as I can about them and feel it is time to ask for a little help.

The serial No.s (in the 103600 range), on the US90, would seem to put this one in the very early production runs, The serial No.s and the frame tag on the ATC110 (in the 2059000 range) says it's a 1979. Details on the US90 like a take apart rear axle without a provision for a spacer on the left side, no provision (no screw holes) for a tool box where I would expect it to be, a two position kill switch, folding foot pegs with some sort of a trigger mechanism, an original type front wheel (although now junk), hub adapters on the rear axles (although tires are also junk), a steel front fender, fiberglass rear fender, chrome foot peddle ends, tank badges, and a slightly different grab bar construction all seem to point to a very early model. The details by them selves might not be that interesting but in talking with an individual who appeared to be a ranch hand or relative at the estate sale site (in the country) mentioned riding the blue US90 unit up till the time they got the ATC110. He said they used them first to handle the cattle on the ranch and them to manage the grape vines that have since replaced the cattle. Sort of sounded like they had them from new! I am in my mid seventies and would have guessed that individual was somewhere between late fifties to early seventies. At the time none of that much interested me, I was just interested in getting a play thing for one of my grandsons and I didn't pay to much attention to the conversation as I loaded them. I now wished I had been listening better.

Since then I have come to realize that both units are in very stock condition although I would imagine both have seen many hours of work. Both units had their air filter assemblies and all the covers I know about in place. Like I said the blue unit had an original front tire on it at the time of purchase and some replacement wheels and adaptors on the rear. , The ATC110 had what I would guess were the original large tires on it. Two held air while the third was leaking. Both units have/had head lights at one time. The US90 had a post brazed onto the lock handle for the bars, that mounted the headlight and it is still complete. But, the light on the 110 is missing the bulb, lens, and mounting ring. The front steel fender on the US90 has some rust but no dents or splits, The fiberglas rear deck has some stress cracks but no splits and has no repair patches. the rear deck still has the front rubber edging in modest condition. The whole bike has plenty of scuffs and rust, but nothing out of line for a work machine. The paint looks original although badly worn with surface rust in some areas. The tank looks sound, but has light to modest rust inside and some dents. One gas tank had a gas cap with the on/off lever that I believe was used when a person carried the unit around in his/her trunk so the gas wouldn't spill out.

The ATC110 has the plastic front fender and the moulded rear fender. The front is sound but the rear might be missing some edge material. It has had some work done to the mounting system to clear the tires. In my initial enthusiasm I purchased some smaller, stiffer, tires and wheels but am unsure just how to proceed since we have since concluded that neither ATC is suitable for my grandson, we will be sticking to a two wheeler. The gas tank on the 110 appears to be repainted, but seems free of dents unless their under the paint. It has modest rust on the inside but appears sound. The 110 has the tool box on the right rear of the frame.

Some of the chrome items are in pretty good shape considering their age, like the handle bars, foot levers, and gas caps; but the grab rails have plenty of rust. The exhaust system on the 110 has had some welding done on it and is missing the spark arrestor. The US90 spark arrestor is all but missing except for a small piece held in place by the mounting bolt.
Both units have running, shifting, engines and neither smoke. I have disassembled and ultrasonically cleaned both carburetors. Both required modest modification to the fuel valve levers (Removing the rivets and replacing with screws in order to access the chambers).

At this point I might add that I have worked on many honda and yamaha motorcycles with my children, as a hobby, and still have a few Triumph motorcycles that I ride and work on.

The help that I am looking for is encouragement and information that might confirm my belief that one or both of these units is/are very collectable and what further details might separate these from the "run of the mill". I have followed many advertisements that claim their units to be early but rarely do they give the frame and engine numbers, or comments about details except that they have original type tires that could date from a period 10 years later! I am troubled by the idea that a unit is rare or not rare by the presence or lack of a totally replaceable item like a tire! To me it's like someone saying I have the first Corvette because of the tires. If you want to collect tires, more power to you! But I'm thinking an early US90 has got to be more than just the tires, and that's what I'm asking help with. There must be some differences in the original carburetors, frames, trim or engine details. Maybe something in the frame welds, the cover stampings, or the axle forging? What is k0 and k1 and what do they actually mean? Why not put on your thinking caps and pull out all the stops. Just because a shop or someone "restores" a beautiful unit doesn't make it correct unless it actually is. I can appreciate that every one believes what they have is the best, the rarest, and the most valuable. It's probably what keeps most of us going, but of course it isn't true most of the time. Details from your collection of trikes should help shed some valuable insight on what is actually an early US90 and an early ATC110 instead of just saying it is, and give us something to measure by. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mr_Gixxer
09-12-2014, 11:21 PM
They're worthless.

You should just ship them to me so they can be properly disposed of...

:D

jakep53
09-13-2014, 08:02 AM
can you please post some pics??

ps2fixer
09-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Why can't people on craigslist be this descriptive?? :lol:

The US90 I'd say is uncommon to rare. I bought one for parts a while back, the OEM tires are about the hardest thing to find good. I did get an "oem like" tire off a 110 with the same bolt patter. For the year, I think they where made somewhere around 1970-73, then at 1974 the model changed to ATC90, and in 1975 they change the tires to the standard rim+tire setup.

As for the atc110s, I think they are much more common vs the US90. I have two I parted out, but I think they were 81-82 and the 79-80 had a lot of parts that were different based on what I can remember.

I attached photos of the tire and the US90 I picked up. I think it was a 1972.

Overall, I'd say post up some photos and I'm sure there are people here with the parts to fix them up.

oldcodger
09-13-2014, 02:44 PM
OK, I'm out to get some pictures! but I'm going to try and post one to see if I can do it now. Thanks for the interest.200965

ps2fixer
09-13-2014, 03:11 PM
It looks like it is very complete (unlike the one I had lol). I'm going to guess the rear hubs were swapped, or maybe they had different sized bolt patterns throughout the years. The one I had used the same bolt pattern in the front as the rears (the super small one). Should be a pretty easy job to get it up to being a ridable machine, just cost a bit for tires and such. The front tire I posted would work on it if you are interested in it, if not I'd say swap the front hub system out to a newer style ATC90 and get a rim+tire setup unless you are trying to go for an oem restore. I'm pretty sure the swap is a direct bolt on, but I'm not much of an expert on the hard tails (atc70-200s)

oldcodger
09-13-2014, 11:00 PM
OK, here are some more pictures. I grouped them in an effort to save space. Anyone asking can have a full photo if they had a need!201041201042201043201044201045201046201047201 048201049201050201051

ps2fixer
09-13-2014, 11:24 PM
Wow, looks like they either cleaned up quite nicely, or your camera is really misleading.

I'm no expert, but I think the rear rack on the 110 is an aftermarket item and looks to be in good shape.

oldcodger
09-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the input ps2fixer! I have worked to clean up the blue US90 unit, but haven't got past the first wash job on the red ATC110. I started out just trying to get both running to see if they might be useful for my purpose, bought the rigid tires and moved them around as I pondered. Like you said, I did move the large front tire from the ATC over to the US90 at one point so I could move things around, seen in one picture. The tire/wheel that your showing, is that a Honda piece? Looks like it was intended to retro fit a machine that had the one piece wheels, not aware such a wheel existed! I'm assuming thats a wheel and a separate rim? You are correct in observing that the rear wheels on the US90 have some sort of hub adapter, in that they were made originally for the small three hole pattern. No doubt allowing the use of a later style wheel and tube instead of the one piece unit. Everything always looks better in a photo, but they are pretty clean aren't they, considering their age?

ps2fixer
09-14-2014, 04:52 PM
I don't really have a story on the front tire/rim, but it is a standard rim with the correct tiny bolt pattern. Not really sure where the tire is from, I couldn't find any info on it. My guess is that it was intended for a 6x6 or 8x8, but I think they had 20 inch tires.

I'm pretty sure I have an extra atc110 front end if you're looking to convert it over. I should also have some oem split rims with the 110 bolt pattern, just would need to be repainted (spray bombed).

oldcodger
09-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Thanks again ps2fixer, mentioning that you have some useful parts is very nice of you indeed, but at this point I am more interested in the information you have to give. I would still like to know if that was an actual honda rim, don't care much about the tire except that someone could find it useful. What year was a rim like that first used? better yet what year did Honda first start using a rim and tire? If it was on the AT110 in 79, didn't they use the larger bolt pattern? Sorry about the time it takes me to get back on the computer, but it may take days at times! No one has mentioned the foot peg mechanism, the left one is definitely broken but is the right one complete or is it missing an "end". It does seem to work OK the way it is! When I read my own message it occurs to me that maybe the bolt pattern on your wheel "is" the big pattern, not the small one like I may have mistakenly understood?

oldcodger
09-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Darn it, saw the words "tiny bolt pattern" as I pushed the post button! Also saw that you had already told me that 1975 was the first year of the separate tire and wheel! Getting old is a bummer!

ps2fixer
09-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Haha, I'm about 80% sure the rim isn't from honda, the front hub setup matched my US90 exactly, so my thoughts is someone had it laying around. I don't see why someone would go though the effort to get that setup on a 110 since it never came with that style of rim or bolt pattern.

I'm not a super expert on these machines, but I'm pretty sure the first year Honda used the larger bolt pattern was in 1975 on the ATC90 when they went from the 1 piece tire/rim to split rims with a tubeless tire.

I like to use partzilla to confirm interchange of parts and check what was oem factory. For example the link below is for a 1979 ATC110, it came with the split rim and a tire. Sadly, the furthest they go back is 1976, so nothing on the US90s.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/1979/ATC110+A/FRONT+WHEEL/parts.html
Reply times are no problem, I'm sure no one here expects you to reply to your own thread within a limited amount of time :).

oldcodger
09-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Hi again, grouped a few more pictures and have attached them. In the meantime have been trying to do more reading. My impression is that of the posts I'm reading so far, most are riders not collectors. Any one have any suggestions on how to get the collectors to talk about details201246201247?

ps2fixer
09-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Just noticed your fuel lines, one looks to run to the tank, the other isn't hooked up? Both lines should be going to the thank, one is for on, and the other is reserve.

I think this is one of the only machines I haven't be able to find a service manual on, but here is a site you can get more of a generic atc90 manual, just to have a good reference since the engine didn't change much over the years. Here is a good site owned by kb0nly - http://www.atcmanuals.info/

For the most part, people here want to ride their machine, so there isn't a lot of collectors here that only build a machine to look at (proper full restore with 100% OEM parts etc), but if you direct us a question someone that knows your machine will probably reply, like those rear hub adapters, I don't know if that is aftermarket, or home made.

Also noticed that the chain cover is missing the rubber plug for the oiling hole at the top rear. Kind of looks like the dust cover for that side might be missing too, here is my poor shaped one:

http://atcfixer.com/bmz_cache/6/6471a184a559da4f9967447b02e2640f.image.733x550.jpg
http://atcfixer.com/bmz_cache/8/8b56780afb8aab8cbb836d7e4922c23e.image.733x550.jpg

I re read you first post some and here are some of the major differences off the top of my head of the US90 vs the later production ATC90s (75 and up).

Axle is completely different, the spines used for the hubs are also very different (newer ones are like quads today, the US90 ones are squared off and are large sized per "spine"
The front end is very different too, metal front fender, the removable handle bars and of course the front hub assembly as well as the 1 tires.
Talking about tires, that is the other huge difference. I'm not sure if an axle/hub swap is possible with the later model ATC90, so the tires/hubs/axle might be a 100% indication of what it is (unless the entire carrier is changed, I think they are all the same, bearing sizes might differ though).
The rear fenders are different as well as the rubber edge to them, the later models ended up having mud flaps that stuck out (like your atc110).
I don't think the US90 came with a headlight factory, but according to some past research, the wiring should be there to add it yet.
Also the foot pegs break away (fold in) for easy transport in a car or wagon.

The special thing about the US90s with their special tires is the fact the pressure on the ground from driving the machine is less than a human, so they float easy, and does not sink in sand/mud like other machines.

Here is a fun read.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/Brochures/ATCsite/70atc90.html

oldcodger
09-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Hi again ps2fixer, The two attached pictures are interesting. Have not taken my unit apart so I don't have a reaction yet. My pictures are somewhat confusing in that they are of both the blue US90 and the red ATC110. The 90 is together, while covers and such have been removed and not replaced yet on the 110. Neither gas tank is/will be hooked up, using funnel and hoses to get running only (reason for your observation I suppose). Any pictures of the splines on the axles? Have a junked ATC90 of a later year (like 75/78) and the front wheel axle is mountable as is the axle from the 110. One of the pictures shows the 110 wheel and axle on the US90. In my last two attached pictures do the tires shown in the stack of 3 (removed from the 110) appear to be original type? Ok, now we're talking details! Went to the site showing the yellow US90 advertisement. On the big top picture it is shown without the rubber axle nut covers on the rear, why not? There is what looks like a sheet metal belly pan with a large (maybe inch and a half) hole in it, what is it. The foot pegs seem to have a latch like mine without the additional vertical reinforcement as sold currently as a replacement, which is correct? Also the foot pegs don't have the fancy brush bars as shown on the blue Honda factory restore seen elsewhere, which is correct? The seat is pleated, early or late? The clutch adjusting screw/nut does not have the black rubber cover, early or late? Lower smaller pictures seem to show a "gold" color, was their one? and what year? Now see what appears to be a belly pan with three large holes on a head light less unit, what years was it used? Also some of the lower pictured units have headlights and some do not: Dune Buggy (no light), Rock hound(lights with fork ears), Snowmobile (lights with fork ears), beachcomber (no lights), and Water bug (lights with fork ears). Bottom pictures show wheel being slipped on to unit with an "air pump" but no tool box evident, is it located somewhere else? Last observation, the use of the description "Honda ATC 90" in the add would indicate it is not an early advertisement page at all! All this just adds to the confusion! Come on guys lets get some clear details. You guys with the basket cases can help some, but the people with the one owner stuff, or anyone with truly early advertisements or brochures should be able to shed way more light on the subject. Where are you hiding, lets start getting a list of serial Numbers or at least a "range" of the numbers and other obvious details like foot pegs, grab rails, rubber goods, etc?

ps2fixer
09-17-2014, 07:58 PM
Very good catches, I'm not really sure if anyone has really done the full research project on them. This is just my feeling and I could be wrong, but one side I have referenced in the past for US90 part numbers labled the 1970~1976ish machines as "Machines with no year" and they were listed only as their model (ATC90 K1 for example).

Talking about that, here is another brochure the is labled for a 1973 ATC90 K1. It also has ATC70 details but that isn't the focus.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/Brochures/ATCsite/73atc9070.html

Now that you have over 10 posts, I'm thinking putting a new thread in Trikesylvania would net better results as that section of the site is viewed much more.

Also found some interesting info here:

http://www.atcheaven.com/Model_ids.htm

Sounds like the headlights on the earliest model was an optional feature.

Here is a couple of photos I found, first is the US90 "old style" and second is the new style

http://www.vintagemotorsports.net/images/store/chs-12-lg.jpg
http://www.vintagemotorsports.net/images/store/chs-21-lg.jpg

Anyway, I do agree with you that a well documented what changed when for each model/year of the ATC90/US90 would be nice to have.

muthey
09-17-2014, 08:13 PM
the latch for your foot pegs are a bolt and a wing nut. also the tool box is on the passenger side under the seat. The rear axle is interchangeable between the the two models of 90's. also your rear wheel adapters I believe were an after market item as I have a set of them just like that. I am in no way an expert on the us 90's I just had and sold an original one this last spring that I picked up from the original owner. I still have the toolbox and the rear axle and hubs w/adapters. the one I had was a red 74 with a headlight on the forks. it did have the clutch adjuster nut rubber cover. Here are some pics of it I put a later model tank on it because I believe it had too much rust and some holes in the original tank.201314201315201316201317201318201319201320

muthey
09-17-2014, 08:18 PM
also those are tri-z hubs on the rear axle with kawasaki rims and tires as they are a 4 x 100 bolt pattern like the tri-z's. the fenders do say atc 90 on them but it is a 74 us 90 in the end, and originally came with the large balloon tires

Joseph Farrow
09-17-2014, 09:38 PM
There are US90 experts here. You just have to be patient or list individual questions in a new post or contact one of them personally.
I would contact Kickstand1. He knows the US90 ATC90 and ATC110 like the back of his hand.
You may want to consider joining the US90 ATC90 Owners Group.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/group.php?groupid=19

Your 70-71 Aquarius Blue 90 is in pretty original shape. All you need is a good set of original tires.

oldcodger
09-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the reply muthey. I'm starting to believe that the starting point for any meaningful discussion has got to be the Serial Number of the frame and then of secondary importance is the serial number of the engine!! You are telling me about the details on a 1974 model ATC. I have no doubt you are probably correct in your observations about that model. But I was hoping for information about the earliest model, the US90. But, may be this is the starting point for gathering information on all the models? I am not sure I have the capacity for that big a project, and besides the response of any definitive information on just the US90 has been minimal. Lets hope some more people will respond, first with their Frame serial number or range and then with some other particular details.
Thanks also to Joseph Farrow, haven't had time to follow your suggestions but will when I get a chance! Thanks again all.

coolpool
09-18-2014, 12:01 AM
Let me see if I can confuse this issue some and hopefully I'm partly right. You have an early model (70/71 K0) based on the indent on the gas tank for the warning sticker and the foot pegs with the locks. I did think the very early ones didn't have heel protectors though? The collapsed front tire is actually a rear tire; too bad, it's got decent tread. Headlight kits were offered as an aftermarket item with chrome hoops holding everything to the forks and a teeny twilight. That seat has been recovered; the K0 and K1 had two slightly different pleats and both had Honda on the rear in white lettering. The rear hub adapters are aftermarket and are designed to fit early (larger) three bolt pattern rims to the small three bolt pattern hubs. All models should have axle rubbers. There's something goofy with the right axle sleeve. I've never seen one with welds on them. And there seems to be one missing on the left? Hopefully I'm wrong and it's the way the early ones were? There are still some hard to get parts at www.vintagemotorsports.com (I think that's right) if interested. Joseph is correct, Kickstand 1 is very knowledgeable and has helped me out immensely. Good luck and thanks for practicing proper post etiquette, bravo! If you have access to the "Albums" check out mine as I have a few US90 pics in there, K0 and K1.

HairyJR
09-18-2014, 02:33 AM
First off I’m no expert, but have recently purchased and cleaned up as survivors a couple early US90’s and a ’74 Daytona Orange ATC90. Oldcodger the ’79 ATC 110 is not rare or unique, well used although taken care of maintenance wise with a few up grade replacement parts, handle bar’s, six pack rack, and non original tires. Seat is good, plastics look ok, missing all the decals that denote year-model to average person looking at it. With a couple parts and a little minor maintenance you’ll have a nice running rider, as is it’s not worth a lot being fairly common.
Now as for the US90, again I’m no expert, in my opinion your Aquarius Blue US90 is not rare but is diffidently unique. A un touched original with balloon tires would make it rare, although yours has many of the parts needed to make a good beginning to a restoration early US90 project of any color as many repairs are needed. Yes the iconic Aquarius Blue is the flagship color recognized by all with a cult following.
I can only compare yours to mine for some minor differences. First off we are not the original owners so any repairs or replacement parts that may have been replaced due to usage or rider damage are unknown. My VIN# US90-1003?? had a different rear axle than the VIN# US90-1053?? which looks like yours. Don’t know what your hub adapters look like, many companies made their versions depending on which wheel bolt pattern used.
The US90 frame didn’t have provisions for a tool box, what they had are the brackets to hold an air pump, that’s a rare item. The front motor mount is molded as an integral part of the frame limiting only the 90cc motor without modification.
The folding foot pegs with spring loaded trigger mechanism changed later on to wing nut design. Early US90 taillight lens where larger than later models.
Now your analogy of Corvette tires hurts me as I own two. “Coker” sells almost any tire needed for our classics but no Chevron Balloon tires, in fact no one does that’s why balloon tires are rare and bring a cost premium. During the late 60’s early 70’s several companies made balloon tires, Ohtsu, BF Goodrich, Firestone and I’m pretty sure Goodyear .
Your original statement of using one to fix the other is a great idea, exactly what I’ve done to one of my US90’s. Your ATC110 is the perfect donor, front axle and tire bolt right in. Rear axle assemblies can also be exchanged, eliminating the 6 square style hub splines with the later style splines giving better options for hubs, wheels and tires. If possible I’d like to see pic’s of your hub adaptors viewed from the other side ( axle side ) another aftermarket adaptor.
Please don’t take my post as negative, I’d like to see all 3 wheelers survive.

LOL one oldcodger to another.

"HJ" :beer

oldcodger
09-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Ok! been out of town to a family funeral. Thanks "coolpool" for your observations. Do all the gas tanks with screw on badges have the indent for the warning sticker? The seat does show evidence of having been removed, hence the cover probably replaced. The grab rail has a tell tale sign of a lock washer in the area of the tail light assembly, which probably means it had one at some time. The wider hole pattern suggest a different tail light housing in addition to a different lens! Did not understand your comment about heel protectors. Are you seeing them in my photos? What are they? Can't see how a sleeve could be used on the left because of the elliptical joint, the sleeve on the right has all the parts kept together with the welds? Maybe proved to be too expensive in production? I couldn't see how to get relavant parts from the motorsports site mentioned. Haven't yet reached out to "kickstand1" but will cross paths soon, and will also work on accessing "Albums".

Thanks also "HairyJR" for your observations. Disappointed to hear your observation of the ATC110. Was hopping a complete first year unit in good condition might be more collectable and worthy of a "restoration" than a rider made up of gathered mixed year pieces. You are probably right about the "six pack rack?" and the handlebars as I don't see many examples with the braced handle bars. The tires are a bit confusing. The stack of three are from the ATC110, while the tires shown on it are from a third parts donor allowing it to be driven and moved about the yard. Are you saying the stacked tires, the ones that came mounted on the ATC110, are not correct?
With regards to the US90, I agree with you that a showroom fresh unit would be rare indeed and would also add that it would be very unique. My belief is that changing the color during a restoration is not a restoration at all but an effort to make a "sample example"! Any vehicle with a frame number came off the production line in a particular color, and it's restoration is to return it to it's former glory, period. A good unrestored example of something is generally far rarer than a "restored" example but generally less acceptable to the gullible public, most of which want it better than it was ever made! I will look closer for the "many repairs required" comment! On another note, I was pleased that you mentioned your VIN No.s. Your US90 1003?? is by far the earliest I have heard of yet and would be interested to hear about the differences between it and your other US90 1053??. The no tool box provision was also good news, along with the pump and frame comments. Would like to get more information on the spring loaded foot peg mechanism, is mine like yours or does yours have a vertical element? I have no idea about your reaction to the Corvette car comment, or why it should "hurt" you. Are your Corvette cars registered using the number code on the tires? I know I have a lot to learn but what am I missing there? Please don't take my post negative, I'm looking for any constructive information.

Joseph Farrow
09-25-2014, 12:12 AM
The frame vin and engine vin will not match like on a car. Usually they were close but not exactly the same.
Here is a pic of my frame vin and engine vin. The motor is original to my bike. I know it's not the earliest but I do think it was made in 70. There are some numbers out there somewhere probably on 3ww showing the start vin for each year model.

JesseA420
09-25-2014, 07:41 AM
that is a great find! i feel very neglectful now, i picked up a red '74 90 over 15 years ago, and it has just sat in my back yard while the elements slowly do their dirty work to it. i have spent so much time on building performance bikes i forgot all about it.

...... i do know what my next project will be tho :)

:beer

HairyJR
09-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Sorry to disappoint you on the ATC110, I’ve been looking and watching the last 2 years for a ’79 or ’80 110 to replace my first ATC model I owned, still sorry I sold it, but real nice or restored ones range between $800 – 900. The stacked three tires look to be original if Ohtsu and even better if not over inflated.

Yes the taillight on early US90’s had a wider light assembly 110mm as opposed later models of 90mm. As I’m not original owner of the early serial number won’t comment about its rear axle, believe it was replaced with later model say ‘73 or aftermarket as the small diameter axle bent easily and if someone didn’t tighten hub nuts correctly causing the splines to ware excessively. The second 90 has same axle as yours left side, now the right side has welded washer to the spacer tube next to the brake drum, have two more spares that look just like it. Your foot peg spring loaded latches are both broken, mine swing back like yours. Don’t know if the heel protectors (guards) where an option but my early 90 has them and the later doesn’t. The swinging foot peg design changed sometime later to a wing nut/ stud combination design. As far as I know none of the US90 came with welded on headlight ears until ’74, as headlights where an option. Your observation of belly pan is really a skid plate bolted to the exhaust muffler and protects the brake drum and chain guard covers.

Joseph Farrow is correct about frame vin and engine vin numbers, usually are a couple hundred either way from frame vin. The lowest published frame vin number in my “Motorcycle Identification Guide” book is US90-100122. Lets hope some of the real experts chime in an share their knowledge.
Nothing truly meant by the Corvette tire comment, only making the point no one makes original style US90 Balloon tires.

oldcodger
09-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Hello "Joseph farrow", "JesseA420" and "HairyJR"! I am finding it surprisingly hard to respond to some of the helpful comments, but please don't be offended if I don't give you your due credit! Yes, the vin (frame) and engine numbers of many different vehicles do not match exactly until the federal government required it. Not sure all manufacturers complied at the same time but someone out there probably knows the story. For whatever reason I can not, at the moment, open pictures. All I get is a darkened screen. Yes I have seen the list of the starting numbers but it does not separate the 1969 from the 1970. Sort of makes you feel that anything before the start of the 1972 number range might be called a 1969 if you wanted to stretch the truth a bit! Thanks for the encouragement Jesse. Yes the stacked tires are Ohtsu, and yes they probably have been over inflated because the rear fender assembly had wooden spacer blocks installed when I got it. two and one half lbs is not something many people know how to manage. Hairy, are you saying that your second 90 does have the same left side axle as mine? And, are you saying the spacer on the right axle has the welded washers the same as mine? The broken right foot peg is broken because of what detail you are observing? Is it the lack of the vertical element? The left is obviously broken, too much missing to be sure what it used to look like. Are the heal protectors the wire hoop (steel rod) as seen on the blue restored unit at the Honda factory featured elsewhere? The belly pan/skid pan, is it actually bolted to the exhaust muffler or is it attached to the frame under the exhaust area? If anyone happens to know the serial number of the Blue unit in the Honda Factory museum it sure would be nice to know it. My original blue paint on the frame stops behind the gas tank and does not extend down to include the motor mount, as the unit in Honda's museum does. Where does the original paint on your frames go? Thanks for the continued input.

coolpool
09-25-2014, 10:24 PM
About your question regarding indented gas tanks for the warning label, only the early models had them. I have 5 US90's and 2 spare tanks and to my disappointment none of them have the indent. All K0 70/71 models have the screw in emblems. The steering head should be the only part not painted black. I've never seen pics of the Honda museum piece but wonder if it was the first attempt and the paint scheme changed after that? Heel protectors are the little black rubber strips at the bottom of the fenders; I can't tell you when they started using those. Elliptical joint on the left? I'd love to see a few pics of your rear axle, never to late to learn something new! I'm used to 2 slip on tubes for the right and left axles.

HairyJR
09-25-2014, 11:38 PM
Hope your able to view pic’s soon, I’ll attach a couple in hopes that they show many of the topic’s we’re discussing, they are what they looked like when I purchased them before any clean up or repairs. First off I have eat my own words and correct the statement that welded headlight ears started in ’74, wrong started in ’72 and the headlight bucket where painted black as my son has a “Mighty Green” ’72 ATC90. My second 90’s axle assembly appears to be same as yours. Right side spacer tube should just slide off the axle once the wheel/hub is removed allowing axle assembly to be slide to the left for removal. Yes the vertical tag has broken off where its welded to the swing latch, two of mine are missing or broken too. One of the pic’s should show the wire steel loop heel guards from the early 90 and one shows vin # plus the original blue paint scheme. Don’t know how they may have did it in the advertisement brochure but the skid plate is installed upside down to the right, as all others I’ve seen are protecting the chain guard as the sheet metal is bent to fit and install to the left.

As “Coolpool” states about the black rubber Heel protector strips at the bottom of the fenders, my early fender has no holes, but the foot peg wire loops and the later fender as holes drilled for the rubber strips but no foot peg loops, maybe just of the early changes.

oldcodger
09-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Hello again "ccolpool" and "HairyJR". Coolpool, I see you have two 1970/71 US 90s listed on your response page, are you saying neither of those gas tanks has the indented area where the warning decal goes? I am critical of the blue paint on the Honda museum piece because it was recently restored by an american company (shop) and they chose to paint it that way because I think they thought it looked "Nicer". I can not find any evidence yet that early units were ever painted that way! Hence the interest in everybody's original early US90 painted frames and serial numbers! The heal protectors (the rubber edging) on the front of the rear fenders on my US90 were attached with rubber? rivets originally, but only two are remaining with the balance of six being replaced with screws and nuts. I will try to remember to attach a picture of the axle for you. Hairy, I am able to view pictures again, have no idea what was causing the problem. Your pictures are enlightening! The blue frame painting is as mine, stops roughly at the tank mounts. I now can see what you describe as the "steel loop heel guards", could they have been "carrying handles" when the unit was disassembled? Wow, that is an early frame serial number! These photos of yours when you purchased them before any clean up are impressive, starting to understand some of your other comments. The belly pan/skid plate is very clear. Was it used though out the US/ATC 90 lifetime? Your comment about removing the right side wheel and spacer and sliding the axle to the left might suggest that the left wheel did not have to be removed in order to disassemble for moving/carting. It might also explain the lack of needing a spacer on the left. At this point I must admit that I have not removed or broken down my rear axle, so I am ignorant of it's design. I have been reluctant in part because I don't know how to remove the rubber axle nut protectors and didn't want to destroy them. Somewhere I recall reading that the heel protectors were glued on in the beginning which might be the reason for no holes on your early US90, But a fiberglass replacement might also be supplied without holes for ease of installation and cost reasons.202113

oldcodger
09-28-2014, 07:10 PM
OK, sorry to drop this on you now, but a trip to the swap meet this morning has now resulted in an offer. Update: the offer has evaporated without much input from the viewing audience so I see no point in making it part of this history. Hopefully more information will come in the future!

HairyJR
09-28-2014, 11:34 PM
“oldcodger” I don’t believe the “steel heel loops” on the foot pegs are “carrying handles” as they only lock into place at the riding position, they fold under the frame in the released position. Wasn’t sure if you knew how the rear axle disassembled for removal. If you haven’t tried yet axle could be frozen “rusted” in drive sleeve, may need to soak with penetrating oil. Can’t speak for all years but all US90’s thru ’83 ATC 110’s had a bottom belly pan/skid plate of some type. The rubber axle nut protectors pop onto a large thick flat washer, if their still pliable rubber “soft” just pull and twist.

As for selling them you have no sentimental attachment which would influence price, you know your investment cost, but the offer seems real fair. With balloon tires price would be higher.

oldcodger
10-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Thanks again for the inputs "HairyJR". I have gone back and reread the earlier postings with the information learned so far and a couple of questions arise. In one of the early pictures posted by "ps2fixer" I seem to be looking at an axle with a spacer assembly like mine siting in a wheel on a wooden pallet. Is that an early dismountable axle system? If you were to say yes, why then is there a sproket and chain cover, wouldn't all that stay on the trike with just the axle passing through it all as it was slid out? In a posting by Joseph farrow you are showing an early serial number in the 1035xx range. Can you tell us where the green paint stops on the frame? is it near the tank mounts? Does that "survivor" have any other of the details we have been discussing?
Hairy, not sure why you believe the skid plate is assembled differently on the Honda brocure, it looks the same to me, but then that's why I'm here asking the questions! I am feeling particularly stupid at the moment because I went out and looked at my two trikes and the US90 has a belly pan in place! Don't know how I missed that!

Regarding the offer, just waiting to see if it's all talk. I have been watching several eBay offerings and am encourged to see more than just two individuals biding each other up.

HairyJR
10-02-2014, 12:12 PM
OK yes the picture “ps2fixer” shows the axle removed with the “wheel shaft” (what the manual calls it) assembly still installed. For normal disassembly to transport you remove the right side axle nut, wheel/hub, and distance collar (sleeve). DO NOT remove the lock nut next to the brake drum. Now slide left side wheel/axle assembly out of “wheel shaft” off the four drive pins. May be stuck or rusted in place, lightly tap with hammer. Chain guard, sprocket, and brake drum assemblies remain in place.
I’m old and relied on my memory having looked at the original brochure, thought I was looking down thru the holes instead of looking up, installed as all others. As far as those listed on ebay, blue one just listed for @ $4000, it and several other US models have been listed several times in the last couple months and haven’t sold, relisted……

oldcodger
10-07-2014, 11:34 PM
I figured it might be time to try and sumerize the information we have gathered so far that would help identify a first year US90 Honda from other later years. A few questionable inputs might result in a little more inputs in general!
* Lets start by saying there is no such thing as a 1969 US90. All that is known so far is that Honda started selling their 1970 model year in late 1969 through to the end of 1970.
Starting with frame serial Number US90-100,122 and ending theroletly with frame NumberUS90- 200,000, which was probably never used. Original motors schould bear numbers within
100 digits of their frame numbers. Later units have same frame and engine numbers starting when?
* The first year color was Aquarius blue. At some serial number they added a red? a green? and a yellow?
* The gas tank has screw on chrome "honda" tank badges.
* The gas tank has a rectangular relief to the rear of the cap where the "off road only" decal is applied into.
* The kill switch has two positions "on" or "off" and points to left. Not the three position of later units, "off" "on" "off" and pointing foward.
* The handle bars have a locking lever that allows the bars to be turned for transport.
* No ears on fork tubes to carry a headlight, only chrome accesorie brackets avaliable for optional headlight, although all units posses wiring for front and rear lights, but not stop light.
* Front fender made of steel, not moulded plastic.
* Rear fender assembly made of fiberglass, not moulded plastic.
* Rear axle made to be removable for transport by removing right wheel and spacer and sliding axle with drive plate clear out left side of sprocket/drive assembly. No spacer used on
left side.
* Front engine mount is part of the frame sheet metal, not removable.
* Color paint ends in area of gas tank mounts, does not extend to include front engine mount.
* first variation of footpegs have steel hoop heal protectors and no rubber heal protectors on fender.
* 2nd variation in first year have rubber heal protectors attached to rear fender with pull through rubber rivits, eight total, not screws and nuts.
* Foot pegs fold in horizontally when latch mechanism is triggered, does not use wing nuts and studs.
* Small end of foot peg is chrome plated.
* Carburetor gas inlets are parallel and float cover screws enter from top.
* Carburetor has push/pull altitude control and unprotected choke lever.
* Carburetor fuel bowl drain is to front.
* Front and rear tires are difficult to come by, but were made for at least a ten year period, so may or may not be original and/or not nearly as old as the trike they are on.
* Tires mount to hubs using small triangular three bolt pattern, later units used larger triangular pattern.
* Brake handle on bars has wire clip to "set" rear brake, and white plastic plug in mirror mount. Hand brake control unit was used on other Honda motorcycle models using rear view
mirrors at the time.
* Rope start handle has Honda's stylized "H", large flange, and rubber plug, in contrast to later smaller flange design.
* Grab rail allows for wider optional tail light assembly, won't accept later narower tailight assembly without modification.
* Grab rail structure is of slightly "beafer" construction.
* Throttle controll was made of plastic, waranty replacement was metal.
* No tool box, and no provision (threaded holes) in frame for one, only bracket for tire pump (rare).
* Gas cap had "on off" position so gas did not leak out with bike laying on side during transport.
* Air filter connector tube uses wire spring clip on front and screw band on rear.
* Gas valve lever "points" to position, "off, run, res" instead of lever itself becoming "pointer" as later.
* No decals used on front or rear fender.

If creditable additional inputs are submitted I will try and edit this starting list.

So thats my story and I'm sticking to it

Joseph Farrow
10-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Good Stuff!

I have to agree with almost everything you have with exception to a few things. I am no expert, just working off of observations.

* Gas cap had on off position so gas did not leak out with bike laying on side during transport
Not sure on this one. IIRC the on off type gas cap did not show up until the 1979 ATC110.

* No decals used on front or rear fender
I know the 70-71 US 90 had a fender decal with "Honda ATC90" on the Right hand side on the rear fenders.

* Rear axle made to be removable for transport by removing right wheel and spacer and sliding axle with drive plate clear out left side of sprocket/drive assembly. No spacer used on left side
I really think there were tubes on both sides of the axle.

Great info. There are experts out there. Also if you could find an original Honda shop manual or micropfish it would answer a lot of questions.

oldcodger
10-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Hi "Joseph" thanks for the response again.

With regards to:* Gas cap had on off position so gas did not leak out with bike laying on side during transport.
I am working from the assumption that there had to be some way to stop the gas from leaking from the tank when laid over in the trunk of your car unless the tank was completely removed from the frame and the carburetor, messy and complicated! Regarding the use on a ATC110, I don't see the purpose unless you consider the "front wheel up" storage position used by some in a crowded pickup or trailer, and then it points to the same requirement.

With regards to:* No decals used on front or rear fender.
I am under the assumption that Honda was calling the unit a US90, and not an ATC90 until some time later, so it doe's not seem reasonable that they were using decals that said "ATC90" in the beginning. Your photo of the decal show a very unusual rear fender with metal rivets along it's complete outer edge, quite a divergence from anything else Honda ever made on trikes or motorcycles, so I am doubting it is an original fender without rework.

With regards to :* Rear axle made to be removable for transport by removing right wheel and spacer and sliding axle with drive plate clear out left side of sprocket/drive assembly. No spacer used on left side.
The left axle in the picture supplied appears to be a solid weldment, not a spacer! Is it actually a spacer?

I must admit that sometimes I am controlled by "well it should be that way, even if it isn't" syndrome, but I am trying to resist! Come on people let's have some inputs!

coolpool
10-08-2014, 10:32 PM
As per Josephs observations, this synopsis was taken from my original US90 Parts Manual. The left axle tube is on page 39, item 3-1 part number 42313-918-020, PIPE, rear axle distance, the right axle tube is item 3, part number 42313-918-010 Superseded by 42313-918-020, the HONDA ATC90 right rear fender emblem is listed on page 30, item 7, part number 87506-918-000, EMBLEM, body cover. Even though the manual is dated 1971, all pictures are of the early model US90's showing all foot peg configurations available and the indented tank for the emblem. Hope that clarifies some.

As for transporting, the instructions in the "Riding the Honda ATC" manual dated 1971, list two ways to deal with the fuel for transporting: 1. Drain all gas through the carburetor drain until empty, or 2. Drain carb, seal off the tank with the optional fuel tank cap.

HairyJR
10-13-2014, 01:22 PM
As per Josephs observations, this synopsis was taken from my original US90 Parts Manual. The left axle tube is on page 39, item 3-1 part number 42313-918-020, PIPE, rear axle distance, the right axle tube is item 3, part number 42313-918-010 Superseded by 42313-918-020, the HONDA ATC90 right rear fender emblem is listed on page 30, item 7, part number 87506-918-000, EMBLEM, body cover. Even though the manual is dated 1971, all pictures are of the early model US90's showing all foot peg configurations available and the indented tank for the emblem.

"coolpool" never seen a early "US90 Parts Manual" what are the chances of getting a copy? I have the "Honda US90 Shop Manual" 1970 printed version. Would be nice to know all the accessory options that where available.

Joseph Farrow
10-13-2014, 10:07 PM
If someone can convert either or both into a pdf file I would surly take a copy. :)

oldcodger
10-14-2014, 02:13 AM
"HairyJR", if you have a a 1970 printed shop manual why can't you clarify some of these remarks? Isn't it possible for you to take a picture of the rear axle assembly as shown in your manual, and post it here? If you were to examine the photos in the manual (I'm guessing there are photos) are you liable to see "the presence or lack of" the decal in question on the right rear fender? Maybe qlimpse a gas cap?

"coolpool" the same sort of request goes out too you. You are trying to support your "synopsis" without allowing us to see first hand the pages you are taking the information from even though you could easily take pictures of those pages and post them here. The information gets more blurry when you finish by saying the parts manual was printed sometime in 1971, not 1970. To me that means the information could be from a period two years later. Also, someone earlier said the "on off" gas cap was first introduced on the ATC110 in 1979 but you are mentioning an "optional fuel tank cap" being described in your 1971 manual? Any pictures?

"joseph farrow" You are showing a left axle in your photo that looks like it is a solid weldment and not a spacer, which is it?

Ditto on copies of those manuals and parts list!

coolpool
10-14-2014, 08:51 PM
HJ, joseph and oldcodger I'd gladly get pics of my reference material. HJ, I have the US90 Shop Manual and it's lacking in information for sure. My parts manual has a pretty stiff spine and the pages are brittle; so laying open the pages for scans isn't an option at the moment. I can very well see a parts manual coming out after the fact. The print date doesn't mean creation date. This was different technology back then and maybe the drafts weren't ready when the machines were sold. As I said, all pics are of the early version.

HairyJR
10-14-2014, 11:32 PM
First of all I’m no expect with computers or programs, but I can scan a couple pages maybe to show from the manual its 33 pages. Believe me when I say “Honda’s” attempt at top quality shop manuals back then where fairly basic, no engine repairs noted either reference you to a CT90 Shop Manual. Not one picture of the complete bike as an overview, all close ups of the particular subject for explanation therefore no seat/fender view of any decal or rubber heal guards. Page 20 shows no “on/off” gas cap although I know it was available on other Honda models such as ’68 Z50A Mini Trail’s and newer as I have taken the cap from my ’72 Z50K3 and used it. Frame neck only painted to just behind the gas tank rubber mounts. Could only find two pic’s of axle left side and looks to be no spacer used as the 4 drive bolt hub is angle cut and pressed on the axle and appears to look like the smaller shaft diameter than later models with sleeve/spacer. Having said that those parts being new the metal colors could blend well at the joint and after looking at my early axle shaft pic’s you can see the different metal discoloration. Sleeve is rosette welded next to the outer splines keeping it from being removed. Last page 33 showing wiring diagram lists headlight and taillight as optional parts. Did find one picture of the grab bar (carry pipe) with no taillight installed and of course no headlight pictured anywhere.

202916 202917 202918 202919 202920 202921

couple pic's of my early rear axle
202922 202923

coolpool
10-15-2014, 09:36 AM
OK here's some pics of my resources. HJ, I do have the manual you posted pics of; definitely leaves a lot to be desired. The intstructions on "How to Transport the ATC" are in the Riding Instruction book. I know the dates seem off but the pics are definitely of a early model. I am starting to believe that there was a very early version of the left rear axle without a tube after seeing the off set weld. Interesting:wondering

HairyJR
10-16-2014, 02:02 PM
“coolpool” thanks for pic’s, as for picture of optional parts I’ve seen the carrier before and air pump both had been listed on ebay in the last year, but never seen the pictured step guards. The rear axle shaft break down diagram looks very similar to one of my early axle assembly distance pipes items 3-1, 4 and washers 5-1. Item 3 looks like the later version right side distance pipe/tube. Because I’m a manual machinist by trade spent too much time in my mind :wondering trying to determine if “oldcodger’s” and my rear axles are early or not, they are early! Wheel hub splines are separate machined stub shafts and pressed into the axle shaft ends, pinned then rosette welded. Honda must have determined they where poor weak design and revised.

left side 202969 right side 202970

coolpool
10-17-2014, 09:59 AM
HJ thanks for the clarification, that make total sense and explains a lot. Wonder if they were replaced with the one piece axles under warranty after failing like the plastic thumb throttles were with aluminum ones.

HairyJR
10-17-2014, 03:27 PM
The very early US90 I purchased had no balloon tires, weld repaired bent rear axle, aftermarket adapters and wheels. Never intended to restore just wanted a Aquarius Blue survivor to put my 3 bolt aluminum Ohtsu Chevron 8” tires onto so installed ’77 front and rear axle assemblies just like the vintage racer tribute “Pink Trike” posted on ebay last night. That is a sweeeeeeeeet looking trike.

oldcodger
12-08-2014, 11:54 PM
I have tried to digest all the information provided by our limited number of posters and bring this thread to a conclusion. Here is a reposting of the developed list as it stands today 12/8/2014.

* Lets start by saying there is no such thing as a 1969 US90. All that is known so far is that Honda started selling their 1970 model year in late 1969 through to the end of 1970.
Starting with frame serial Number US90-100,122 and ending theroletly with frame NumberUS90- 200,000, which was probably never used. Original motors schould bear numbers within
100 digits of their frame numbers. Later units have same frame and engine numbers starting when?
* The first year color was Aquarius blue. At some serial number they added a red? a green? and a yellow?
* The gas tank has screw on chrome "honda" tank badges.
* The gas tank has a rectangular relief to the rear of the cap where the "off road only" decal is applied into.
* The kill switch has two positions "on" or "off" and points to left. Not the three position of later units, "off" "on" "off" and pointing foward.
* The handle bars have a locking lever that allows the bars to be turned for transport.
* No ears on fork tubes to carry a headlight, only chrome accesorie brackets avaliable for optional headlight, although all units posses wiring for front and rear lights, but not stop light.
* Front fender made of steel, not moulded plastic.
* Rear fender assembly made of fiberglass, not moulded plastic.
* Rear axle made to be removable for transport by removing right wheel and spacer and sliding axle with drive plate clear out left side of sprocket/drive assembly. No spacer used on
left side.
* Front engine mount is part of the frame sheet metal, not removable.
* Color paint ends in area of gas tank mounts, does not extend to include front engine mount.
* first variation of footpegs have steel hoop heal protectors and no rubber heal protectors on fender.
* 2nd variation in first year have rubber heal protectors attached to rear fender with pull through rubber rivits, eight total, not screws and nuts.
* Foot pegs fold in horizontally when latch mechanism is triggered, does not use wing nuts and studs.
* Small end of foot peg is chrome plated.
* Carburetor gas inlets are parallel and float cover screws enter from top.
* Carburetor has push/pull altitude control and unprotected choke lever.
* Carburetor fuel bowl drain is to front.
* Front and rear tires are difficult to come by, but were made for at least a ten year period, so may or may not be original and/or not nearly as old as the trike they are on.
* Tires mount to hubs using small triangular three bolt pattern, later units used larger triangular pattern.
* Brake handle on bars has wire clip to "set" rear brake, and white plastic plug in mirror mount. Hand brake control unit was used on other Honda motorcycle models using rear view
mirrors at the time.
* Rope start handle has Honda's stylized "H", large flange, and rubber plug, in contrast to later smaller flange design.
* Grab rail allows for wider optional tail light assembly, won't accept later narower tailight assembly without modification.
* Grab rail structure is of slightly "beafer" construction.
* Throttle controll was made of plastic, waranty replacement was metal.
* No tool box, and no provision (threaded holes) in frame for one, only bracket for tire pump (rare).
* Gas cap had "on off" position so gas did not leak out with bike laying on side during transport. Probably "optional" rather than "standard".
* Air filter connector tube uses wire spring clip on front and screw band on rear.
* Gas valve lever "points" to position, "off, run, res" instead of lever itself becoming "pointer" as later.
* No decals used on front or rear fender.

Everyone? seems to be in agreement with most everything on our developed list except for a few points. The locking (on and off lever) gas cap may or may not have been a "standard" option but was available as an "optional" one for the purpose of transporting the US90. The decal "ATC 90" was NOT used on the very first US90 units. A posture was assumed by some posters because of the mention of an "atc 90" decal in a "parts" manual dated 1971, although throughout that publication the unit is referred too as an ATC90 and NOT a US90. They completely disregard the fact that the book was printed in 1971! The situation is very much like the popular line that has someone asking President Lincoln's wife "well except for that, how did you like the show?". I choose to believe that the1970 "shop" manual supplied by one poster supports the belief that the first unit was called a US90, and refers to that title numerous times throughout the manual and does at no time call it a ATC 90. Although Honda would ultimately change the designation to "ATC 90" in the following years, I believe it was first introduced as the US90 and did not carry an "ATC 90" decal on its right rear fender until sometime later.

HairyJR
12-10-2014, 12:25 PM
"oldcodger" very good synopsis of the opinions and facts shared so far on the subject. Since this started I too have purchased a "Honda Model ATC90 parts list" manual like "coolpools", revision 2 with only a date stating printed 1971, really no different than his being revision 3. Page 6 shows two views of the early what we call "US90" with NO options installed.

WOW....over 4,000 views and not another knowledgeable member sharing any additional facts.

oh, did you sell yours?

oldcodger
12-11-2014, 05:10 PM
"HairyJR" thanks for all your postings and encouragement.

Since I'm relativly new I don't know what to make from the massive 4,000 views and limited inputs, but hopefully we have some"thinking" going on.

No, I have not sold either of the two units, the US90 or the ATC110, but would like too. Not sure how too proceed and keep the complications to a minimum.

Joseph Farrow
12-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Here is an original bike......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-honda-atc-us90-rare-aquarius-blue-100-original-/181609181401?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a48c030d9&item=181609181401&pt=ATVs

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/mdUAAOSwQJhUicQq/$_12.JPG

oldcodger
12-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Not sure what you mean "Joseph Farrow"? The posted frame number in that eBay add makes this a 1972 Honda US90! It certainly is NOT an early US90, unless you mean early to include the third year of manufacture!

OK, lets have a closer look at that alleged 1969 atc/us90. The first line should start the eye brows to go up! "It appears to not have been ridden at all or very little" and then goes on too say the front fender has a small split!! Fenders (sheet metal) can split from prolonged exposure to vibration which probably indicates it has been run a long time at high RPM or it was used "once" to run the Baha California race! It obviously looks to be well taken care of, but does not mean it hasn't been used or that parts and/or pieces haven't been replaced. The amount of rust on the under carriage also indicates more use, except that the individual foot pegs are in such good condition they suggest that the assembly may have been replaced with the earlier type. The "fresh" bolts mounting the foot peg assembly to the bottom of the engine indicate that it has been recently replaced. If the spark system is easy to fix, you would think an experienced individual would fix it before he offered it so he could demonstrate that its up and running and theoretically get more for it.

An observation that pleases me is that the blue paint does stop at the tank mounts! The "ATC90" decal is probably correct for that later year (1972)

oldcodger
11-30-2015, 11:17 PM
Hi again, close to a year has passed without any new information submitted! Bummer!! Anyone interested in purchasing either or both of the trikes described? Drop me a line @ jonickgiandomenico@att.net. Thanks

oldcodger
09-01-2018, 04:16 PM
Hi again, close to a year has passed without any new information submitted! Bummer!! Anyone interested in purchasing either or both of the trikes described? Drop me a line @ jonickgiandomenico@att.net. Thanks

*Just stopping by with an update. It's now 9-1-2018 and I am being pressed to clear the barn, so to speak. A lot of empty nonsense circulating about these units having any value because of their age and rarity. It would seem you just need to acquire a later model lookalike, add some retro tires if you please, and then brag about it being the first US90. Nobody is interested or cares whether it's the truth, so why bother doing it right! If your keeping track, no additional information has been added in over 4 years, and no one (none) have emailed with an inquiry of any kind regarding acquiring these two first year (respectively) units. A special thanks goes out to those that did try to make meaningful inputs and shed some light on a "smoke and mirrors" subject. This is, I would suppose, the "end". Thanks