PDA

View Full Version : Flying Ford.

DohcBikes
09-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Flew as a passenger in a 1929 Ford Tri Motor airplane sunday, what an experience!! This particular plane is the most powerful 4a-t to ever fly, having had 2 pratt and whitney 450hp radial engines swap to the wings, and one 550hp pratt and whitney radial on the nose. The airplane was previously fitted with three 250hp engines. This particular plane also served as Air Force One for the president of the dominican republic at one time. I don't have much time to post before work here but I'll get a few pics up and just copy and paste the wiki explanation for now.

The ride, unbelievable. Three nasty old radials just barely loping to taxi, plane vibrating and making everybody wonder if their life was about to end on an 85 year old plane. Ever drive a Model A or a Model T? Most have trouble ever getting one started. Pretty cool to watch the pilot pump the primer and start each engine up. The rudder, flaps, and elevator are all operated mechanically by pitmans, cables stung along the outside of the plane, and worm drive gears running front to back for the elevator. Looks like hes winding the plane up to take off, lol. Keep in mind, I'm skeered of flying, constant thoughts of mechanical failure plague my mind. Odlly enough, I think I had accepted my fate on this flight, what better plane to crash in?! I didn't worry at all when it pitched side to side, or when it felt like we were fkn hovering when we banked to land. CRAZY feeling that was.

Heres some pics, I have about a ten minute video of the flight over my hometown to edit as well.

201282 201283 201284

201285 201286 201287

201288 201289 201290

201291 201292 201293

Here's a link to the wiki info. Ill add a few more pics, and the full history of the plane I rode on, maybe tonight or tomorrow morning. Then the video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Trimotor

coolpool
09-17-2014, 09:07 AM
Beautiful plane. And we think we've done something keeping thirty year old trikes running, that's a work of art! Thanks for sharing.

manbearpig
09-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Damn! Groupon is gettin legit!

but seriously, how'd you score a seat on that flight?

DohcBikes
09-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Damn! Groupon is gettin legit!

but seriously, how'd you score a seat on that flight?LOL.... They were doing short sightseeing flights from Kearney Regional Airport. For 75 bucks I didn't wanna miss an opportunity to ride in a '29 Ford Airplane!!

6speedthumper
09-17-2014, 11:05 PM
Ah, the ole tri motor. Clive Cussler used one in one of his many books. For the life of me I can't remember which book. Anyway, after an exciting game of aireal cat and mouse, I had to set the book down and read up on the Ford Tri Motor. I gotta say, I'd even like to take a ride in the ole gal!! Seems Ford should have stuck to building planes and tractors! This lady is still kicking!

Thorpe
09-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Nope... I am cool... I don't care if they were passing out the $75 bucks, not getting on. I love fast stuff, but like it on the ground. Not getting into that pole barn with props. Call me a chicken$hit and I will agree, but my arse is best left on solid earth...

DohcBikes
09-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Nope... I am cool... I don't care if they were passing out the $75 bucks, not getting on. I love fast stuff, but like it on the ground. Not getting into that pole barn with props. Call me a chicken$hit and I will agree, but my arse is best left on solid earth...LMFAO... First thing I thought was ok, so somebody found like 15 old Harleys in a corrugated tin pole barn and combined the bikes and the shed to build an airplane, we aren't gonna make it are we....

This was my 3rd flight ever. The previous 2 were on the same day in jumbo jets while praying and watching experienced passengers' reactions to violent turbulence.

Dave Little
09-20-2014, 04:04 AM
Pretty cool experience that was D. I flew in one owned by EAA in 2003 at Airventure in Wisconsin... I wonder if it is the same one since I recall that one having had updated engines as well. They were selling rides so I said what the hell, glad I did. I didn't think we were going to get off the ground thing seemed too heavy but she broke ground after a long run and in a very stately manner made the climb out. Thanks for sharing.

DohcBikes
09-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Pretty cool experience that was D. I flew in one owned by EAA in 2003 at Airventure in Wisconsin... I wonder if it is the same one since I recall that one having had updated engines as well. They were selling rides so I said what the hell, glad I did. I didn't think we were going to get off the ground thing seemed too heavy but she broke ground after a long run and in a very stately manner made the climb out. Thanks for sharing.Yes Dave it is the same plane!! There are only 8 known left at all, and only 2 are still in service, one of which is owned by EAA.

When I was drooling over the engines I noticed the last builder hung a couple stainless tags from the orig. engine plates to notate the last build and mods, 2001. The engines were a bit fresher on your ride! That's ok though, 13 years later we still could have eaten off them. 27 cylinders and not a single indication of any wear, dirt or leak on any gasket. It was impressive to say the least. I was actually very surprised that the pilot let me hang around the engines for a half hour before and after the flight, got my hands all over them!!!

6speedthumper
09-21-2014, 10:45 AM
I wonder if there was any beefing up to the airframe for the new engines? After all, she only had a combined 750hp when new.

M.Pargiello
09-21-2014, 12:18 PM
This is really cool. I am very anti flight :D That being said, I used to travel all over for work for 7 years and flown on many vacations. Hated it everytime.

But I'd ride in that, Too cool!

czac
10-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Personally, Im a Chevy man myself so...
lol Actually, I USED to be a Chevy man but now I drive a 2010 F150... Hey I didn't have to buy it so Im not gonna bash it. lol I like it. that's an awesome plane, looks really cool. Ford had their little hands into everything didn't they? what didn't they make back in the day?

czac
10-07-2014, 02:30 PM
This is really cool. I am very anti flight :D That being said, I used to travel all over for work for 7 years and flown on many vacations. Hated it everytime.

But I'd ride in that, Too cool!

Never been up in a Hot Air Balloon?? You don't know what your missing!!
http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/Travel-Places/Hot-Air-ballooning/i-MQKpF73/0/M/byebye%20done-M.jpg

even discovered an old, MX track in someones yard that seems to be unloved...
http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/Travel-Places/Hot-Air-ballooning/i-zcMWNxq/0/M/abandond%20moto%20x%20track-M.jpg

DohcBikes
10-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Personally, Im a Chevy man myself so...
lol Actually, I USED to be a Chevy man but now I drive a 2010 F150... Hey I didn't have to buy it so Im not gonna bash it. lol I like it. that's an awesome plane, looks really cool. Ford had their little hands into everything didn't they? what didn't they make back in the day?
Did not mention, but under my jacket that day I was wearing a Genuine Chevrolet shirt. Although I respect and herald Ford's contribution to motoring history and the U.S. in general, I'm a Chevy man myself.

Dave Little
08-05-2015, 12:14 AM
I was up in this beauty once again two Fridays ago for Airventure. I guess EAA is doing a 6 month restoration on the Trimotor starting last Monday. Still puts a smile on my face. They had two giving flights and a third showed up for a few days then left.
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/QuantumDave/Rides/IMG_2894.jpg (http://s719.photobucket.com/user/QuantumDave/media/Rides/IMG_2894.jpg.html)