PDA

View Full Version : KLT160 cdi

THUNDERCLEESE
09-20-2014, 07:52 PM
I have been having problems with my 85 KLT160 running. I had the carb worked on a few years back and it still wasn't quite right. Started good and ran good. Sometimes it would start cutting out at any throttle position and it would eventually smooth out. This issue has been worse the last few times I rode it. Also, I put a tach on it and it would never read right. Below 3500rpm it seemed to be ok, but above that it jumped around all over the place.

Today I took all the connections from the CDI apart and cleaned them. There was debris and corrosion in them. I checked the Ohms like the manual says. Some of them were not right. I also checked the coil and it appeared to be out of spec. I checked the exciter and pickup coil, both were within spec. Now it starts easier but it still runs terrible.

Any ideas??? Thanks

350for350
09-21-2014, 12:41 AM
If the coil isn't within spec, I say replace it.

THUNDERCLEESE
09-21-2014, 11:14 AM
If the coil is not within spec, will that cause it to run rough? Same with the CDI? Also, if either is bad, will it ruin the other? If I replace the coil and the CDI is bad, will it ruin the coil?

350for350
09-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Well if I remember right, as something warms up, the electrical resistance increases. If you have too much resistance in your coil, even if it will still run, as it warms up, there will be less spark going through to your spark plug, causing it to run roughly. As I see it, if you're getting weak spark, then you're not burning your fuel completely enough or maybe not fast enough. Also, if it's not in spec, you already know that it should be replaced, right? If you get a coil off of ebay, check the resistance right away. Some people say it "fits model years x,y,and z. Just because it fits, doesn't mean that it's the correct part. I've been burned like this before. Most people won't let you return an electrical part that's been installed. As for one part ruining another, I'm not sure, but I suppose it could.

THUNDERCLEESE
09-23-2014, 09:28 PM
I just hate to start throwing parts at it, especially since these are expensive, without knowing for sure. I tested them but I am not positive that I tested it correctly. I might try and take them to someone who knows more about it and can test them.

350for350
09-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Definately better to double check in that case. No need to replace something that's still good.