PDA

View Full Version : 84 200s Idle problems

Lockjaw
09-21-2014, 11:41 AM
Hey all. I put a new Mikuni carb on my 200 last fall. It has never idled really well. I have adjusted the mixture screw, and still get a spit from time to time. Even screwed all the way in, I still get spitting.

I took it out to the hunting club yesterday to do some scouting and it wouldn't idle at all. So I brought it home, pulled the carb off, and cleaned it out. I noticed some junk in the fuel line after the filter, looked like cotton candy, so I figure the filter was scuffing the inside of the fuel line.

Spent about an house trying to get it adjusted and idling properly, still get a spit from time to time.

Trike has an E3 plug and a moose oil bath air filter. The exhaust doesn't have the guts in it either.

Any thoughts? I am about to buy another carb that more closely resembles the factory one.

350for350
09-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Why did you change the carb? Was something wrong with it? How did it run before changing the carb? If it ran good before, I'd say that the new carb isn't jetted right. I'm not the most familiar with these carbs, but I know that when you turn the mixture screw in and out, it should make a difference in the way that it runs. The way I read it, you said that it didn't make a difference. Maybe there's something wrong with the carb. Was it a cheap one off of ebay? I haven't tried one, but I've seen several say that these are junk. Also you could check your valve clearance. Maybe that's off and causing problems. Hope this helps to point you in the right direction.

DohcBikes
09-21-2014, 08:03 PM
200s' don't idle all that well anyway, lol. Many people end up replacing the pilot with a larger size.

This kind of question always gets me. "My bike isn't running right. It has the incorrect carb on it. What's my issue?".....hmmm.

Throw the E3 in the trash and get an NGK.

Lockjaw
09-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Ok I will get an NGK for it. The old carb is trashed. So... I need a replacement. This was a replacement carb for it.

Here is more data. Yesterday I took it out to my hunting club and rode around. I had to back the idle speed screw out probably 3 turns after it got warmed up really well. Then take it home, and it wouldn't start without giving it gas and then wouldn't idle again.

Lockjaw
09-28-2014, 01:26 PM
Or it could be the O-ring between the intake manifold and the intake needed to be replaced. Now back to idling like it should.