PDA

View Full Version : Feds at it again, CPSC to ban ATV passengers.

Mr_Gixxer
09-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Uncle sam knows best...

Federal Government to ATV Owners: One at a Time

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is looking into how to ban passengers from riding four wheelers in the name of public safety.

The agency issued a “request for information” on Monday to learn the feasibility of prohibiting more than one person from riding an all-terrain vehicle (ATV). The notice will be published in the Federal Register on Tuesday.

“Since the 1980s, the CPSC has addressed ATV safety through various activities, including rulemaking, recalls, consumer education, media outreach following fatal incidents, and litigation,” Todd A. Stevenson, secretary of the CPSC wrote. “Despite these activities, ATV-related fatalities continue to be one of the largest categories of consumer product-related deaths. ATV safety, therefore, remains an ongoing Commission concern.”

...continued...

http://freebeacon.com/issues/federal-government-to-atv-owners-one-at-a-time/

Mr_Gixxer
09-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Yeah......we should warn Bill about the inappropriate use of cigars no matter how good they taste !!..... even though Hillary approved :lol::lol: Passengers on ATV`S.......more dangerous then ISIS !! :eek::wondering

Ewwmygod...

-2 internetz for posting this. LOL!

sledcrazyinCT
09-23-2014, 03:08 PM
I read that garbage.....BTW what the hell does the writer of this article mean by a performance requirement? “Specifically, CPSC staff seeks information on the prevalence of passengers riding on ATVs and the feasibility of establishing a performance requirement that would prevent or reduce the likelihood of passengers riding on an ATV,” the notice said.

201689Why would Jim let his Bro do this?:crazy:
Live and learn.....what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger....I say let Darwinism take it course and save some tax dollars on supporting the brain-dead.

oldskool83
09-23-2014, 03:18 PM
hmm thought no passenger was a no brainer and a sticker on all atvs I could remember seeing new as far back as 1994........

coolpool
09-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Pretty sure distracted driving is fast becoming the leading cause of motor vehicle deaths in the US and Canada. Is a ban on cell phones next? Maybe more attention should be paid to curbing distracted driving than worrying about ATV's.

6speedthumper
09-23-2014, 04:25 PM
Pretty sure distracted driving is fast becoming the leading cause of motor vehicle deaths in the US and Canada. Is a ban on cell phones next? Maybe more attention should be paid to curbing distracted driving than worrying about ATV's.

What about tobacco products and alcohol? How many deaths do they cause per year? I enjoy my Rolling Rock, and my cigars, but, these "legal Begals" are just looking to make more money. Pretty soon you'll be ticketed for riding 2-up on an ATV because of them. Not that I ride 2-up, don't like that at all. How about all these 2 seater specific, purpose made, quads out there???? What about them???

I can remember a few years ago there was a politician that wanted to make roll bars and seat belts standard equipment on ATVs. Oh yeah, that's brilliant. That way in the event of a roll over (lets face it we're all going to have one at some point) the rider will be trapped for the "ride" instead of getting away from the 400-700lbs of metal crashing down the hill.

RIDE-RED 250r
09-23-2014, 05:24 PM
If passengers riding 2-up on a properly equipped ATV is too dangerous for the nannies in these unaccountable un-elected government agencies, then so is riding double on a street bike!!!!

I would like to see the stats on streetbike related injuries/fatalities and how they compare to ATVs.

I'm not against streetbikes and not saying I want to bring more BS down on them... just making a comparison to illustrate the idiocy of big government sticking its big fat nose in places it has no right to.

My guess is because all of us ATV riders, 2, 3 and 4 wheels are still small in overall numbers relative to the street riders and thus an easier target for bullying from these good for nothing no-nothing nannies. The ground swell of protest is much smaller among us.

DohcBikes
09-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Id be very interested in those stats as well ride red.

I have too many experiences with motorcycle related deaths. In my experience, the driver of a street bike is at a much higher risk of death than the passenger in the event of a 2 up crash, for whatever reason.

My perception is that in ATV crashes, the passenger is the one at a higher risk. I'm not sure why it seems that way to me other than ATV's are more unpredictable than street bikes due to the terrain and riding style.

All that nonsense aside, you won't catch me with a passenger on any powersports equipment, ever. No matter the skill of the rider, it is greatly reduced with a passenger due to the combination of weight, distraction, and interaction.

tripledog
09-23-2014, 11:54 PM
I equate riding tandem on an atv to cooking dinner in a microwave oven using a cast iron skillet. It likely won't end well, but Darwinism ain't always purdy.

slashfan7964
09-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Ban everything that exists!

Billy Golightly
09-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Teacher don`t you fill me up with your rules.....cause everybody knows that smoken aint allowed in school ! :beer:beer

Please for the love of all things holy, stop putting stupid internet memes in every post and reply you make.

I feel dumber after opening them. Pretty soon I wont have the mental capacity left to know when I'm feeling dumber.

kazander
09-24-2014, 09:57 PM
Will some one let me know when they ban old age.:p This is really important to me I will stop right now.

250rAL
09-28-2014, 12:15 PM
It's already illegal in Iowa. Was told it's a $250 fine years ago.

Gearheadtom
09-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Already illegal in a few provinces here in Canada, and there's talk of bringing it into the province I'm in. Yet a purpose built 2-up machine will be legal.

Dirtcrasher
09-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Your lucky you can even ride them alone.....

fabiodriven
09-29-2014, 07:02 PM
I'll tell you what my guess is, they're aiming for the side by sides. I could be mistaken, but those things are absolutely soaring in popularity lately and are extremely capable machines which are easy enough for anyone to operate. Combine an easy to operate machine, a lot of power, and an American public that is getting dumber by the generation and you have the need for rules.

czac
10-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Yeah......we should warn Bill about the inappropriate use of cigars no matter how good they taste !!..... even though Hillary approved :lol::lol: Passengers on ATV`S.......more dangerous then ISIS !! :eek::wondering

look at those two... just for that photo alone these two should have never been allowed anyplace near the Whitehouse. this just proves my point that all of todays problems and laws can be directly traced BACK to the summer of love and all the hippy freaks who were given the spotlight that year. The only good to come from that era was some of the Music.

czac
10-07-2014, 02:53 PM
they wanna ban Passengers? they cant do that, Passengers are people too. :w00t:

tri again
10-13-2014, 04:53 PM
As usual, I'm off topic but what ever happened to motorcycle airbags?
I think Truimph started something a few years back.
Maybe 360 degree airbags around the riders...with helium, to float them above an accident?
On a serious note, too many videos of idiots with kids on their laps on quads, flipping over in 3 inches of water with no hope of getting out from under the machines.

I better get back to work.
Have some fun with this thread.