PDA

View Full Version : I love this site !!!

Legns
09-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Ok so today while working on my trike I found out that the frame is rotted pretty bad on the curve just below where the front engine mount is on both sides. It is probably repairable but I have a choice to make. I recently purchased a parts trike witch I just got done striping down and the frame is pristine. Now the only problem is paperwork. The one with the rotted frame has all of the paperwork and is properly registered here in NY. The nice frame I only have a bill of sale. So I have to decide what is easier repair the frame or fight the dmv to register the good frame. So I went to the internet to see how bad it would be to register the better frame. First I went to the dmv website and I did not get any clear answers. Then I came here did some searching and within minutes I had found my answer. I will be registering the good frame as it is not as bad as I had though. So thank you to all who put awesome info on this site I can't wait to be a full fledged member :D

RIDE-RED 250r
09-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Good to hear!

I have been through the dance of registering an old trike in NY that I didn't get paperwork with several times. It's really not too bad if you have your ducks in a row and know what you need to do.

There is a risk however small that an old ATC could come back as reported stolen when DMV runs that VIN.. But I have taken the chance and played my cards on the fact that the vast majority of trikes sold new in NY were never registered, much less reported stolen...

But would I bank on that with a newer ATV?? NO!! NYS now requires ALL new ATV's sold MUST be registered in the new owners name before the machine can leave the dealership. I don't know the exact year this took place, early 2000's I suspect. But because of that I would never take a chance on a newer machine with no paperwork because if it is new enough, there IS a registration floating around out there for it. And that will complicate matters immensely.

Glad you got your build underway and got a NY license plate for her too! :)

Legns
09-23-2014, 07:55 PM
There is a risk however small that an old ATC could come back as reported stolen when DMV runs that VIN.. But I have taken the chance and played my cards on the fact that the vast majority of trikes sold new in NY were never registered, much less reported stolen...

Where I work I am able to check that kind of stuff so I know its not stolen or ever registered in all 50 states :)

hondatc88
09-28-2014, 09:23 PM
This site has saved me quite a few times :) Any good riding out there on the island?
Im upstate in dutchess county above westcheser.