PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when to replace the top end on a 250r? How about the bottom end?

McTrikerson
09-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Do you just do it after a certain amount of hours, or does the bike behave a certain way when it is time?

Thanks

Karhu
09-24-2014, 05:08 AM
With the top end you hear a huge rattle when its running.... I usually replace the whole topend when i replace my piston. (40hours)

bottom end.....I check that when the engine is open and when you pull the crankshaft upwards. If there then is any upwards room/space you should replace it. Left right there always is always space but it shouldn't come up. Usually you can see it on your sparkplug as the piston will beat on it (so the side electrode will be on/close to the insulator tip).

Piet

McTrikerson
09-24-2014, 03:54 PM
If there then is any upwards room/space you should replace it. Left right there always is always space but it shouldn't come up. Usually you can see it on your sparkplug as the piston will beat on it (so the side electrode will be on/close to the insulator tip).

Piet

Thanks for the response. But, is it possible for you to elaborate a bit further on this? I'm having trouble visualizing exactly what you mean.

yaegerb
09-24-2014, 04:19 PM
he is saying you don't want up and down play (slop) on the crank bearing (remove your cylinder, grab the rod pull up/wiggle side to side...hehe). A slight side to side play is normal, but needs to be checked to see if its within tolerance. And yes if you have so much up and down slop you are seeing the damage to the head or spark plug I would say its time for a rebuild.

McTrikerson
09-24-2014, 07:36 PM
he is saying you don't want up and down play (slop) on the crank bearing (remove your cylinder, grab the rod pull up/wiggle side to side...hehe). A slight side to side play is normal, but needs to be checked to see if its within tolerance. And yes if you have so much up and down slop you are seeing the damage to the head or spark plug I would say its time for a rebuild.

Thanks, bruh!