PDA

View Full Version : No key unplugged ign, it starts but i want the lights on. any Ideas how?

brokenforks
10-02-2014, 10:00 PM
So i got a 85 big red and its running great now, i have to unplug the ignition to get it to start. I want to have the lights work anyone know how to make that happen?
thanks

cap
10-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Buy a generic Honda TRX ignition off the internet for the price of a latte, if you don't want to spend $$.

Or you might be able to wire in a toggle SW.

Flyingw
10-02-2014, 10:59 PM
The lights run off batt power. The battery power for the lights comes in to the key switch on the red wire. It goes out of the key switch on the black wire. That black wire is what feeds the main harness including the lighting circuit.

Flyingw
10-02-2014, 11:00 PM
A brand new Big Red OEM key switch is only 40 bucks on Ebay

brokenforks
10-02-2014, 11:10 PM
The lights run off batt power. The battery power for the lights comes in to the key switch on the red wire. It goes out of the key switch on the black wire. That black wire is what feeds the main harness including the lighting circuit.

Thanks for the replys. I will get an ignition eventually but working on pennies here.

So if the black wire feeds the main harness does that mean I put the red and black wires together? And thats it?

thanks again.

brokenforks
10-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Parts iv ordered already. Carb rebuild kit, battery, oil filter, air filter, spark plug, oil.
Shes running great now. so the ignition is nest but in the mean time it would be nice to get in an out of the woods in the dark lol

Flyingw
10-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Yes but it would be best to put a toggle switch there so the electrical system doesn't drain the battery. The other two wires on the key switch are eng kill wires going from the CDI to ground. Leave those wires disconnected. Use your bar control to kill the motor.

brokenforks
10-02-2014, 11:22 PM
SWEET thanks. ill put a temp toggle in. I want to get the key working soon.

now im a happy rider :)

Flyingw
10-02-2014, 11:28 PM
Just remember, those wires will be carrying pos batt power so no bare connections.

brokenforks
10-03-2014, 07:32 AM
ok now problem. was just thinking that after i do this the starter but should work to. ( i think ) So ill be trying this today sometime.

FYI we are talking about a 85 big red 250es ( a MINT barn find for $300 ) sorry forgot to mention it. Was sitting so long the gas in the tank didnt even smell like gas anymore lol
I cant believe I got this, its got to be a $800- $1000 machine as is.

Thanks again for the help

cap
10-03-2014, 06:22 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen.;)

brokenforks
10-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen.;)

IT HAPPENED...... isnt she gorgeous?

cap
10-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Nice score, thats 300$ worth of rubber alone.
There is one in similar shape over by me for 650$, he has come down quite a bit. I might go over with some cash and make him an offer. I've been looking for a SX but...

brokenforks
10-03-2014, 11:54 PM
Thanks. Im stoked with it. When I was younger I had a bigred 200es I loved it then. When I seen this one I had to have it. I had an SX back then to. I broke the big red in half at the forks, When I came to red was in 3 pieces, handle bars, forks and the rest held together by thoatle and brake cables. Moral of the story is dont ride a big red like its an SX lol

Notice my username is "brokenforks".......... brokencollerbone could have worked to lol

Got the toggle wired in and it works. Found out the headlight bulb is blown so Im waiting on one now. ;)