PDA

View Full Version : Please help me ID my ATC

Grateful Sam
10-02-2014, 11:23 PM

Hi all. Just got a Honda ATC, year unknown. It's fairly rough, but runs ok now that I went over the carb(a bit of gunk on the main orifice tube).The guy told me it was an '83 185S. No VIN that I can find. The pics I've seen of those don't have front suspension. This one does. Also, the gearing is 47/12, and all the kits for chain and sprocket say 41/11 for stock. What is this thing? Thanks in advance! I'll get pics up tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies. Here's some pics. The front brake drum seems to match the rear drum from a 250X? Is that possible? There are no VIN's or CC's anywhere. Frankentrike!

MRSOUND
10-02-2014, 11:54 PM
VIN should be on the steering neck. VIN decoder link http://atcvin.webs.com/
Someone could have changed the front end out for suspended one. It's been done alot.

DohcBikes
10-03-2014, 02:52 AM
Ask forum member c.j.

He knows everything there is to know about trike identification.

Or, you could check the v.i.n.

muthey
10-03-2014, 03:02 AM
look at the base on the cylinder it should give you a cm3 size, also does yours have 2 piece rear fenders or single rear fenders. Does your fuel tank have a small silver cap or a large black cap. A round headlight or a rectangular headlight. If you answered the second option to all those multi choice questions then if it is a 185 or a 200 you have a 83 185s or an 84 200s, but pics will help us immensely as then we can identify it with zero mistakes after you have read the cc's off of the cylinder

Grateful Sam
10-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Pics up...

86125m
10-03-2014, 09:59 AM
You have the front end and gas tank off a 200e. An engine from either a plain Jane 200 or 185. The frame looks to be of off of a 200s but it looks like it's been modified heavily. Ill tell you what you have it's a Frankenstein trike.

DohcBikes
10-04-2014, 08:23 AM
There are no VIN's or CC's anywhere.Yes there are. There's one stamped on the front of the neck and the cc is cast in to the jug. Guaranteed.

185S with a 200es front end, pretty sure. Not that weird.

muthey
10-04-2014, 11:27 AM
That's what I was thinking. The last year of the 185s which is 1983 had that frame yous is modified at the back for the rack but that's what I am guessing it is. The fuel tank could be off of another model of later 200's but the 83 also had that style tank. that is not the 83 front end though. I'm feeling the 200es as well on that. here are some comparison pics for you. I do not promote riding with out a helmet I just don't like wearing it in pics.

muthey
10-04-2014, 11:31 AM
and that is an original non modified 1983 185s. Is a friend of mine's and he has beaten it beyond recognition anymore. It has been broke down for two years and I refuse to repair it for him. There is no point as he will just destroy it more.

muthey
10-04-2014, 11:42 AM
I know why you cant find the vin he painted the neck, do some scratching and it will show up. you will need to carefully cut the weld that is holding the shift lever on and and put a chain cover on there. then buy the right shift lever for it as that one is going to break the shift shaft eventually. The cover helps support the shaft.

Grateful Sam
10-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Yes there are. There's one stamped on the front of the neck and the cc is cast in to the jug. Guaranteed.

185S with a 200es front end, pretty sure. Not that weird.

I love guarantees. Found the VIN. The frame, if nothing else, is an '82 185s. I haven't found any pics that match that fork though. The fork sliders are super sloppy on the arms. Took it all apart and cleaned it up, it'll hold for now. Went over the carb again, valve adjustment, added front brakes. Runs well, started on the first pull with no choke at 50°F today. Yeah, it's cold here already. I did find a crumbled advance spring. Anyone know where to get these? Haven't found them anywhere online. Thanks again for all the help!

cap
10-07-2014, 11:38 AM
You might find a used one online (same springs on the earlier xr200's) otherwise you need to come up with your own. ACE hardware usually has a nice selection of springs.

atcdude0
10-07-2014, 12:11 PM
I love guarantees. Found the VIN. The frame, if nothing else, is an '82 185s. I haven't found any pics that match that fork though. The fork sliders are super sloppy on the arms. Took it all apart and cleaned it up, it'll hold for now. Went over the carb again, valve adjustment, added front brakes. Runs well, started on the first pull with no choke at 50°F today. Yeah, it's cold here already. I did find a crumbled advance spring. Anyone know where to get these? Haven't found them anywhere online. Thanks again for all the help!

On my 125m i had a broken timing advancer spring. I replaced it with a spring from a clicky pen. Give it a try, every pen has a different spring in it, one of them should work. It did for me, at least

czac
10-07-2014, 02:05 PM
I do not promote riding with out a helmet I just don't like wearing it in pics.

Besides, if you were wearing it, the little ones wouldn't be... If you're anything like me, then your head is a lot harder than the Helmet so its better to give it to the Kiddies when taking them on the trike! lol

muthey
10-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Besides, if you were wearing it, the little ones wouldn't be... If you're anything like me, then your head is a lot harder than the Helmet so its better to give it to the Kiddies when taking them on the trike! lol

Actually I have multiple helmets, I just don't wear them in pics plus I need to replace the visor on my main helmet I broke it off this last spring.