PDA

View Full Version : Bearing stuck in rear carrier!

thatguy
10-05-2014, 12:17 PM
I had to grind off a hub (welded) to get the axle out and got another on the way (thanks MRSOUND!). I got the left bearing and seal to pop right out, but the right bearing was in pieces inside the carrier before I even took the hammer to it. Evidently this may have been aiding in the god-awful sound coming from the rear while turning. That or the fact the left bearing doesnt even spin..

Anyway, now I am left with the outside section of the bearing on the right side. there is not enough of a lip on it to knock it out from the left side. I have tried a screwdriver, a pry-bar, and my favorite a cold chisel to try and knock it out from the left but its not moving. Yes, it is soaked in pb blaster...

i have been able to pound a small screwdriver behind the bearing from the right side, but am worried about damaging the carrier tube opening

I am thinking maybe I can cut into it with small plumbers hacksaw or a sawzall to maybe weaken the bearing so it can be broken out...

Have any of you run into this before?

Also (side note), what is the purpose of the axle sleeve thing that the axle goes through? It is between the bearings and looks like it just adds weight to the rear end. The carrier already has a spacer thing inside so the bearings dont get hammered in too far..

thanks for any help guys

shortline10
10-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Heat up the carrier up with a torch and use a long punch and hammer to remove the piece of bearing remaining . The heat will expand the carrier enough so its much easier to remove the old bearing , as a last resort I use dermal cut off wheels to cut the stubborn ones out also make sure to use eye protection . I deal with this on a daily basis and these are the best ways I have found .