PDA

View Full Version : Too hot for deer hunting!

Buck Snort
10-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Usually we can hang our animals in the shop in October with no worries. This year between the heat and flies, we had a problem when my son shot this buck. Came up with this solution. What do you hunters think?

trike savior
10-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Ha. Nice. Necessity is the mother of invention. Where I hunt in southern Illinois there are many 80 degree days at the beginning of bow season. We never worry about it. We let it hang for maybe an hour and cut it up. We put the pieces in a Rubbermaid bin with ice water and salt mix while cleaning and then wash it off, sort and pack. I was told as long as you process it within a few hours of killing it and get it on ice there should be no issues. Have yet for anyone to get sick doing it that way.

tri again
10-13-2014, 05:18 PM
I wonder what the ideal temp and humidity is for aging meat?
Locals say it's best to hang for a few days instead of freezing right away.
I know nothing about this stuff yet. Season just opened and hope for some
elk samples and the right way to cook it.

atc007
10-13-2014, 05:31 PM
About 35-38 degrees is ideal. You want it to hang/drain at least 3 nights,,a week for some. Kill and freeze ends up a real mess. But sometimes necessary.. I actually enjoy butchering a lot. Haven't done it in some time. Son is gonna put a couple away this year though. Looking forward to it.

coolpool
10-13-2014, 09:16 PM
Hey Buck are those a couple of Blacktails? Just wondering, I remember you said you were coming out this way to hunt. Great way to tackle the problem. The problem with hanging wild game too long is that you lose a lot of meat from drying out. Of course as stated before humidity plays a part.

Buck Snort
10-14-2014, 10:52 AM
No one Mule deer 2 point buck. Not a big animal but not bad for a 2 p0int. My sons first shot was a good lung shot and the second shot was a horrible rear hind shot. I will take the blame for the second shot. I stood behind him yelling shoot shoot on the second shot. Sometimes Dads should shut up! LOL! Had too cut quite a chunk out, that might be the reason for it looking like 2 animals. Hung it for 3 days in the fridge and I happy with the way it worked out.
Hey Buck are those a couple of Blacktails? Just wondering, I remember you said you were coming out this way to hunt. Great way to tackle the problem. The problem with hanging wild game too long is that you lose a lot of meat from drying out. Of course as stated before humidity plays a part.

tri again
10-14-2014, 02:57 PM
I know a fridge will dry stuff out so maybe a tray of water?
I got a digital thermometer with humidity sensor for like 6 bucks.
Just saw a show about aged steaks on discovery channel but missed the temp and humidity numbers. Maybe some sort of trade secret for them.