PDA

View Full Version : 250es with electrical grouding problem after engine removal/install

blowre1
10-06-2014, 04:48 PM
After lots of work on a 1985 250es, I have messed up something on the wiring so that the neutral light won't work or the push button. Maybe you guys will see right away whats going on...

Here's the details:
- When I turn on the key, nothing happens. Neutral light and push button do nothing in neutral.
- Starter solenoid turns over bike when jumped out.
- Immediately broke out the test light and checked the little wires that engage starter solenoid.
- With test light clip on -ve terminal of battery, when I touch one of the little wires on the solenoid, the neutral light comes on.
- If I simultaneously press the start button, the test light lights up, so the wire is carrying current.
- Engine won't turn over with push button.

My dad's friend says she's "hunting for ground". Battery is good and the headlight works using switch cluster on handle bar. The ony other thing it the original switch cluster was no good, so I got a used working one from a TRX250 and put it on.

I am terrible with electrial stuff. What the heck is going on with this thing?

Thanks

Flyingw
10-06-2014, 07:06 PM
On the right side of the motor on the bottom of the clutch cover is two switches. The forward one is the neutral switch. When in neutral, that switch provides a ground to the neutral light as well as ground to the starter solenoid. Pos batt power is always sitting at the neutral light and starter solenoid. The ground from the switch completes the circuit. To test the function of the light and starter, you can remove that dual (neutral and reverse) plug on the clutch cover and short the contact to frame ground. If all is ok, the light will come on and the starter switch should spin the starter. The switch screws in to the clutch cover and they do wear down but its more common for the dual plug to have a bad connection. Start with the easiest thing first.

atc007
10-06-2014, 07:12 PM
100% agree. Your neutral switch wire is dirty/or loose.

blowre1
12-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Hi, Guys:

I unplugged, cleaned, and replugged both the neutral and reverse switch plugs. I also checked the switch itself with a test light and it was grounded.

What else could be the problem??? I have looked at the wiring diagram and noticed the grounds are kind of daisy-chained together providing a common ground in different places. Could I be missing one of those legs?

What else could it be?