PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used 250r when you know proper maintenance was not performed?

McTrikerson
10-09-2014, 11:42 PM
Hello,

I have yet another question about 250rs. I recently spoke with a guy near me who has a few 250rs, all of which he claims run strong. I wish to buy one from him and he said I can test drive before handing him any money. However, when I asked about what kind of maintenance was performed on a regular basis, he said "Just oil changes after every ride." So, my guess is that he hasn't been changing air-filters, or replacing the top-end.

I really want a 250r and this seems to be my only option. Do you guys think I'll be likely to be ok if I test drive the thing and it feels strong? What is the likelyhood that there is catastrophic damage that won't be fixed by a simple top and bottom end rebuild? Regardless of how it runs, I was planning on replacing the piston and ring ASAP. But I'm hoping that it is a relatively safe buy, if it runs strong when I test it.

Thanks in advance!

TrickShot
10-10-2014, 12:11 AM
He just changed the the oil? In a 2stroker? :crazy:

McTrikerson
10-10-2014, 02:33 AM
Transmission oil.

atc007
10-10-2014, 07:18 AM
A compression check will give you a real quick answer. You won't find a "lot" of atv's that have had proper maintenance. Simple truth of the way it is.

McTrikerson
10-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks, ATC007! What PSI range should I be looking for on a stock 250r? Also, any idea what pressure gauge I can buy really quick, that I can know will work on a 250r? I've never actually done a compression check.

yaegerb
10-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Thanks, ATC007! What PSI range should I be looking for on a stock 250r? Also, any idea what pressure gauge I can buy really quick, that I can know will work on a 250r? I've never actually done a compression check.

What year? rule of thumb is 170-190.

BOB MARLIN
10-10-2014, 11:28 AM
above 165 psi.

I look at it a different way. I very much prefer one that has had nothing done but oil changes. More people screw things up doing "Maintenance" than you would think. I would take one that has never had a wrench on it over one that has a "new" top end.

If it runs and shifts well, no clunking, pinging or knocking is what I look for.

Top ends are cheap, bottoms are not.

86125m
10-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Yea I agree that I would rather have one that hasn't been internally touched by another person.

86125m
10-10-2014, 11:54 AM
O and one other thing if a bike is running good not smoking or losing power why change the top end. My 86 125m and 78 atc 90 both still have their original top ends and run like brand new.

Dirtweed
10-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Well if a 250R is not smoking then that is another problem....plus my 250R ran great right before it went boom.
As others said compression test is a good thing....and I'd bet he didn't change his tranny oil after every ride.

DohcBikes
10-10-2014, 02:53 PM
O and one other thing if a bike is running good not smoking or losing power why change the top end.as dirtweed said, if the R isnt smoking then you better look for another bike. It can be running great, not losing power, and knocking. Personally I like to rebuild stuff that makes noise before it shreds itself and ends up costing triple, but that's just me.

My 86 125m and 78 atc 90 both still have their original top ends You must have bought them new then. Otherwise you dont know.

and run like brand new.Unless they are brand new, no they don't. I suppose they are also both 'mint'.

McTrikerson
10-10-2014, 06:59 PM
What year?

85-86. Not actually sure, but it's liquid cooled.

McTrikerson
10-10-2014, 07:06 PM
above 165 psi.

I look at it a different way. I very much prefer one that has had nothing done but oil changes. More people screw things up doing "Maintenance" than you would think. I would take one that has never had a wrench on it over one that has a "new" top end.

Thats a good point. Got any advice on how I can NOT be the person who makes problems worse?

atc007
10-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Rereading your OP. There most likely won't be anything wrong inside that a top end and lower rebuild won't fix lol.. That's what you said lol.. The likelihood of you finding 165-180 lbs of compression on a used R is highly unlikely unless you are Really shopping in the right places! But,you're planning on a top end,so , Yes, if she runs strong ,and doesn't "scare " you off with obvious other issues. Buy her! Plan on the swingarm bolt not coming out easily, to say the least. So,if they are loose. Explain to him stripping the bike and laying it in a huge ass press is sometimes the only way to do that job ,and try and make him pay you something for your time. Look to see if the chain has ever busted into the case. They typically break the case,and or drive the shift shaft out the bottom. There are lots of different remedies still running around,but good virgin cases are what you want to see. The counterbalancer is also an area of concern on these. Listen the best you can on the stator side for bad bearing noise. Take a flashlight and examine the chain area and the oil drain bolt.. Good chance it's stripped with all his oil changes lol.. You'll be fine. Use your heart and common sense while looking at it. And you should walk away a happy camper.

McTrikerson
10-11-2014, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the morale boost, ATC007! And thanks to all of you! All this feedback is awesome and really helpful.

I just need to know what kind of pressure gauge I need to do compression check. As in, where do I find one with threads that will screw into a 250r?