PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what I bought...Nicholson Suspended?

Josh in FLA
10-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Not new to Honda's or ATC's but I'm more used to the 70cc brethren that I've been riding for 30 years. So I got the interest in having a fuller size unit, last night I bought what was supposed to be a 1985 ATC200. When I test rode it, I knew it was '84 or older as it has the down is up shift pattern. When I got it home and found the VIN number, it came back as a 1981 ATCs. A quick look showed that that model did not come with any suspension. So a quick look around on this site, it looks like an aftermarket Nicholson Mono Shox Conversion on the factory frame. The front end has also been suspended with hydraulic forks, I didn't have much time to inspect and try to determine their origins, but that is another thing that will have to do as they are in need of resealing. The motor is also not original, it is an '81 ATC200cc unit.

My original thought was to leave as a mud toy, as it already has 27" TSL Vampire's on the rear, but driving to pick it up I resigned to make myself to make a pseudo sport trike reminiscent of the ones I grew up dusting and sitting on in the Honda showroom growing up in the 1980's. To find a period modded ATC was not my intention, but if that's what I stumbled upon, that's all the better to fit with my sporty theme.

Take a look at the pics and the album and please provide any insight you may have to what I've gotten myself into. I can provide more pics if it'll help to identify components. Will get into front end identification when I have more time to tear into it.

Thanks,
Josh

202737 202738 202740 202741

http://s969.photobucket.com/user/josh_hartline/library/ATC