PDA

View Full Version : Help me program my key fob!

MRSOUND
10-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Ok, here are the specifics: 2000 GMC Sierra SLE 2500 ext cab 6.0L. Power locks, windows, etc. Bought it used a few years ago and did not come with a key fob. Bought one off of eBay (friend at work did same and his works on 99 silverado) and followed instructions. Doors closed, insert key, hold unlock, cycle ignition 2 times (also tried 3 times) release unlock.......At this point locks are to cycle on their own. I got NOTHING? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angry019.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)10+ attempts (opening and closing door in between each occurrence). What am I doing wrong? Is it possible it is not equipped for key-less entry? Would seem odd to me since everything else is "power" optioned. Chime in and tell me what you know!

jeswinehart
10-10-2014, 06:37 PM
IMO if it had "key less" option it would also have a numbered touch pad on the drivers door, right by the drivers door handle.

jeswinehart
10-10-2014, 06:49 PM
done some looking at trucks basically like yours,,, I did NOT see any keyless pad on the door but did come across this (that you may have read too).

http://www.silveradosierra.com/electrical/remote-keyless-entry-module-location-reset-t17194.html

atc007
10-10-2014, 07:45 PM
All I know is Ford has touchpads. GM does not. I would talk with the seller,and hit the forums and Google.. Also call your local friendly dealer. I am usually quite surprised how much some of them are willing to help over the phone ,so they don't have to deal with it!

Edit< Reading Johns link doesn't sound too promising on getting them to work.. Hope I'm wrong :)

El Camexican
10-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Have you tried youtube? That's where I solve most of my programing problems. Best of luck buddy:beer

MRSOUND
10-10-2014, 10:29 PM
I can't verify that it is the fob. Following the prescribed sequence of tasks on the link that was sent along with fob I can't get my truck to respond. After doing the ignition sequence and releasing the unlock button the truck is supposed to cycle the lock/unlock. This is where it ends for me, it never does this, therefore not opening the signal to attempt to program the fob. I watched 3 different videos on YouTube all pretty much showing what I was doing. Still at a loss here guys. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angry032.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

El Camexican
10-11-2014, 09:15 AM
I don't know if this will help, but I bought a key for my 07 Avalanche after my wife lost mine. I tried to program it with no luck and started thinking I would screw something up as I already had issues with the thing locking itself in the middle of the night (guess where I left the only key the first time that happened:rolleyes:) So I took the key and a new remote to a guy down the street and I think he read the code off my existing key and used it to pre-program the new one BEFORE going into the truck and screwing with the ignition. In the end he had to call his boss to figure it out, so it's not an easy task from what I could see.

So, in conclusion, if there is a place that sells and repairs keys and remotes near you I suggest you call them. Life is too short for electronic issues:beer

manbearpig
10-11-2014, 10:12 AM
i recently did this with my 4runner and encountered similar issues with it not wanting to go into 'program mode.'

my issue was that the sequence included cycling of the locks 10+ times with the lock/unlock button to get into program mode. my actuators (the parts that make the little tab in the door pop up) are old and worn wouldnt lift the tab with the button after about the 3rd round of cycling. i had to manually lift/depress the tab and press the corresponding direction on the lock/unlock button to get it to recognize the locks cycling. once i did this, i got right into program mode and got my fob working. been working great for a few months. i know toyota and chevy are apples and oranges, but maybe your actuators are worn or your indicator tab is not moving the full stroke?

2001 4runner SR5

MRSOUND
10-11-2014, 08:31 PM
i recently did this with my 4runner and encountered similar issues with it not wanting to go into 'program mode.'

my issue was that the sequence included cycling of the locks 10+ times with the lock/unlock button to get into program mode. my actuators (the parts that make the little tab in the door pop up) are old and worn wouldnt lift the tab with the button after about the 3rd round of cycling. i had to manually lift/depress the tab and press the corresponding direction on the lock/unlock button to get it to recognize the locks cycling. once i did this, i got right into program mode and got my fob working. been working great for a few months. i know toyota and chevy are apples and oranges, but maybe your actuators are worn or your indicator tab is not moving the full stroke?

2001 4runner SR5
Thanks....I'll try manually cycling them tomorrow. It's not the end of the world & I've lived without it the last 2 yrs. Spent less than $20 on the fob. It's the principle mind you, I bought this dang thing and I want to use it! LOL

czac
10-23-2014, 02:56 PM
I can't verify that it is the fob. Following the prescribed sequence of tasks on the link that was sent along with fob I can't get my truck to respond. After doing the ignition sequence and releasing the unlock button the truck is supposed to cycle the lock/unlock. This is where it ends for me, it never does this, therefore not opening the signal to attempt to program the fob. I watched 3 different videos on YouTube all pretty much showing what I was doing. Still at a loss here guys. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angry032.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

sounds like you got a bum Fob... can you return it for another one?

Mosh
10-25-2014, 09:06 AM
I do these quite frequently across a wide range of models. Just did a 07 Dodge and 2011 Jeep last week. Also did them on quite a few GMs at the dealer.

MRSOUND
11-06-2014, 05:03 PM
I do these quite frequently across a wide range of models. Just did a 07 Dodge and 2011 Jeep last week. Also did them on quite a few GMs at the dealer.

So any ideas as to why my truck wont respond to the sequence?

Mosh
11-07-2014, 07:29 AM
I need you to call a dealer parts dept. Give them your vin. Tell them you need the RPO code for RKE..remote keyless entry..then you will open your glove box and there will be a list of 3 digit codes.
You must have that RPO that matches a keyless entry..Just because you have power locks does not mean that GM put a keyless receiver. .Some models may have the reciever but the option was not turned on in the BCM. Every now and then a factory scan tool can turn the option on through BCM output configuration options. If your system does have the proper option then a scan tool should also be able to program the remote where the homemade method fails.
If you dont have the RKE option you can always order a aftermarket kit that can be simply installed for.less than a 100$ since you at least have power locks.