PDA

View Full Version : yamaha 200 wont run not sure year

marotti17
10-10-2014, 05:59 PM
I recently bought a 200 yamaha three wheeler that doesnt run for $100. Theres no pull start and idk what shape the electrics are in but electric start doesnt work. Original owner bump started it to grt it to run. He left it for a couple days and then it wouldnt start. I cleaned the carb and put in a new spark plug t ive had no luck. When I go to bumb start it the engine sputters like it wants to go but something wont let it. Any ideas?

350for350
10-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Well you cleaned the carb, and put in a new spark plug. That's a good start. Your next step should be to buy a manual. You can then check all of the other electrical components. Also you should have some way to start it other than to bump start it. That makes it easier to tell if it's getting spark.

muthey
10-11-2014, 01:51 AM
you can get a manual here http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/, also you can try using a drill to crank it over, I do recommend actually getting a pull start but you can use a drill and socket or wrap a rope around the pawl. I have seen people do it that way as well I don't recommend it but have seen it done. this will bolt up and work as well http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-7-YAMAHA-YTM225-PULL-STARTER-ASSY-D640T-/381017823842?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b66e9a62&vxp=mtr

DohcBikes
10-12-2014, 07:05 AM
Clean the carb again.

Do a compression check, not with your finger.

atc007
10-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Intake valve is tight. Adjust your valves :)

marotti17
10-13-2014, 07:00 PM
This is what im working with. Will that pullstart need a rebuild kit in order to work on it.

DohcBikes
10-13-2014, 07:18 PM
If it were me, I'd get the electric start working instead. Others will disagree, but if you look at new quads, they are starting to delete the pull start. Its because pull starting stuff just sucks. Electric starter for the 225 is like 50 bucks, not sure about the 200.

Keepah Rolln
10-13-2014, 07:45 PM
How much gas is in the tank? Check your fuel petcock and make sure its not leaking gas..Check your carb again, check your compression and buy a new battery so you can use the electric start...

marotti17
10-13-2014, 08:50 PM
I drained the gas and put fresh in. I think the electical is shot. How hard is it to wire a new electric start if I could fi d one.

muthey
10-13-2014, 11:31 PM
you're going to need the the pull start fly wheel for that, I happen to have one, other wise the pull start would bolt right up. I know this for a fact as I have done it on a 200 already. what area of the electrical is shot, there are many parts are you talking the keyed ignition switch, the hand switch or somewhere else that is no longer operational?

marotti17
10-14-2014, 01:47 AM
I tried hooking it up to a new battery and nothing happened. Is there a way to test certain parts of the electric to see which ones are working and which parts may be shot and need replaced like a starter possibly.

muthey
10-14-2014, 07:51 PM
you can jump the starter by connecting the battery to ground and positive to the positive connection on the starter. When you hooked up the new battery did the neutral light come on? have you checked the main fuse under the seat yet?

terminal velcty
10-15-2014, 08:23 AM
As others have said, get yourself a reliable way of starting the machine first pull or electric (preferably both).

Then start with fresh fuel (checking it is running in the carb fine with the fuel tap/petcock is switched on).
Then, get a new spark plug and gap it with a feeler gauge to owner's manual specs.
Then, check engine compression with a compression tester.
Then, check if it is sparking. (also, be aware that even if it does show some spark it may be only a weak spark and may not be strong enough for it to run on)

I personally ran into getting a Yamaha 200 trike running recently and found I had no spark being generated at all so I am in the process of getting my stator/coil either rewound or replaced.

Remember, a gasoline engine needs three elements to run. Fuel, air and compression. It's pretty much just a process of deduction. Work out which element isn't working and break it down from there to remedy or replace the faulty part/s.

(Another quick tip too on some of these old machines particularly, 2-stroke is air leaks. They can often be hard to spot and engines (especially) 2-strokes are very sensitive to them. A hairline split in a rubber carb to cylinder manifold or a faulty gasket can cause an engine not to run or, if it does run it can cause an extremely lean condition resulting in severe damage to the engine.)

marotti17
10-15-2014, 10:33 PM
theres alot to the electrical that im not sure what condition its in. There is no neutral/reverse light on the bike. I think the original owner took it all apart when it went bad for him and never took the time to find out what was wrong.

marotti17
10-16-2014, 01:01 AM

These are where i think the problem could be. The picture of the rear axle has that rectangle thing looks like the battery cover but i dont know whats attached to it. the picture where there is something unconnected that runs all the way to the back of the bike and it connects something that said relay 12v on it. looks like a pot shaped thing above the cover. I dont know if im making any sense this is just what i see.

muthey
10-16-2014, 07:40 PM
ok in picture one the starter solenoid goes into the rubber boot on the far right, and in the middle is the voltage regulator, on the left is the starter relay switch. That bracket bolts up under your seat. In the second pic your starter is missing, and the wire there connects to it, that is the positive wire to the starter. In the last pic is your cdi in the rubber boot, the coil mounted to the frame and what appears to be either neutral or reverse lighting wires coming down from the light assembly. the link I put up in my first post on this will take you to a site where you can download a repair manual that will give you details on how to test everything and where they are located and also accurate wiring diagrams.

marotti17
10-19-2014, 03:08 PM
So I found some starters on ebay. Whats it take to install one of these things.

muthey
10-19-2014, 11:28 PM
you're missing the starter motor stay wich holds it in place check the micro fiche here, it is part #11 http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5003883ef870021f60a09959/starting-motor