PDA

View Full Version : YFZ 450 or 660 Raptor

yellowhammer
02-22-2004, 07:34 PM
im looking into buying a new quad, any preferences, i wll be trail riding, jumping, and dune riding, and opinions would be greatly appreciated....

TeCaTe_MaN
02-22-2004, 08:28 PM
450 definately...it's wayyy faster than a craptor, and unless you like an almost infinate low end i would go with the 450, but...

...theres no replacement for displacement ;)

BigGreenMachine
02-22-2004, 09:13 PM
I'm not 100% but the 660r is faster than the 450. Bigger displacement vs smaller displacement? Raptor will win a topend drag.

TeCaTe_MaN
02-22-2004, 09:28 PM
I'm not 100% but the 660r is faster than the 450. Bigger displacement vs smaller displacement? Raptor will win a topend drag.

hahahahaa no it wont...raptor is like a grizzly engine in a sport frame and given a different name...it isnt all that fast...i blow there fenders in when i race them, the 400ex's keep up better than the fawkin craptors...

J.D.
02-22-2004, 09:35 PM

Actually sir you are wrong. Just because something has more displacement, doesn't make it faster. Going by your theory, my slowass Mustang(V6) can take on any of these crappy little import cars, which are all I4's, and they are way faster than I ever dreamed of being.

While a Raptor does have more displacement, the 450 is the higher horsepower motor.

Raptor = 38 horsepower
YFZ450= 45 horsepower

Now, the YFZ450 weights 350 lbs dry. The Raptor has to weigh close to 450, easily dry....right(sorry I don't know the exact figure)? So with much less weight, and a 7 horsepower advantage, and better suspension, the YFZ450 is the clear winner in this race.

trikerider2oo7
02-22-2004, 09:49 PM
i would get the 450...not sure about power, but everyone wants one and not many people have one.

42F67N
02-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Yfz beats the raptor hands down in all areas :shock:

350Xccelerator
02-22-2004, 10:21 PM
every mag ive read has said that the 450 would beat the raptor in all areas except top end, where the raptor was just a little bit faster.

smokinp
02-22-2004, 10:43 PM
I'd go with the 450

BigGreenMachine
02-22-2004, 10:45 PM
The Raptor weighs 399lbs dry and I agree with your comparision of the stang to some imports. I won't be convinced until I see it first hand or if someone could post the hp curve chart of these two machines...the YFZ may have a bigger figure but what will determine the drag race outcome will be where both motors make their hp. Also the YFZ is more MX based then the do it all raptor, so wouldnt the motor be made more for acceleration and grunt?

smokinwrench
02-23-2004, 01:41 AM
im looking into buying a new quad, any preferences, i wll be trail riding, jumping, and dune riding, and opinions would be greatly appreciated....

I have a cousin that traded his raptor for a yfz. I know for a fact the YFZ will spank the Raptor in performance. I will link this thread to him and see if he will give you his opinion. Then you will have some good advise from someone with experience.

CHAINSAW
02-23-2004, 08:44 AM

I have a cousin that traded his raptor for a yfz. I know for a fact the YFZ will spank the Raptor in performance. I will link this thread to him and see if he will give you his opinion. Then you will have some good advise from someone with experience.
Whats the fun in that?? lol I wanna sift through mountains of post whores who have no idea what their talking about! :rolleyes:

krizo88
02-23-2004, 12:12 PM
My friends sisters moms uncle knew a guy that had a raptor, but his grandmothers babysitter sold it and bought a yfz for his drunken poor little brother

84250r
02-23-2004, 01:26 PM
YFZ 450 !!!

J.D.
02-23-2004, 08:33 PM
The Raptor weighs 399lbs dry and I agree with your comparision of the stang to some imports. I won't be convinced until I see it first hand or if someone could post the hp curve chart of these two machines...the YFZ may have a bigger figure but what will determine the drag race outcome will be where both motors make their hp. Also the YFZ is more MX based then the do it all raptor, so wouldnt the motor be made more for acceleration and grunt?

Doesn't matter, more peak HP is more peak HP. All that means, is that it comes to rider skill. A smart rider on a Raptor and a stupid on a YFZ would probably win. But, put a smart on both, the YFZ will win no doubt. Stock for stock the Raptor may be a few mph faster, but, throw a bigger sprocket on the YFZ and it will chew a Raptor up. I have no doubt a YFZ will beat a Raptor, anytime, anywhere. Infact....at Dumont on Valentines day, I saw a YFZ, a Raptor, I think a DS650 and a Predator climbing Comp Hill. They were all disgraces compared to 2-strokes, but, I do believe I saw the YFZ take it from the beginning and make it up the hill first.

YAMAHA_Jim
02-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Both are great machines. I say go and test ride both of them at a dealer,,or friends and decide which one you like best. I've beaten both of them with a slightly modded blaster, racing flat track. Unless your gonna be drag racing at top speed every time yo ride,I dont think HP should be an issue.Both machines have more power than most of us will ever need.

ATC crazy
02-23-2004, 09:58 PM
YFZ= 39HP
660= 38HP

660 is about 40lbs heavier

660 has higher top speed than the YFZ

660 has reverse

660 has more torque I bet ya

Suspension on both is close, but the YFZ's is a little better.

IMO, I would go with the Raptor. I've sat on the YFZ and it felt small for me, although I'm 6'4". I've ridden a Raptor, and LOVED it 8) ;)

papahilly
02-23-2004, 11:37 PM

i guess im that cousin.
according to dirtwheels dyno tests both the raptor and the yfz have about the same horsepower around 37-38 but the yfz has a much quicker and more powerful rev to it and ofcourse it weighs less also.
when it comes to a drag, stock for stock the yfz takes the raptor in all areas. low-mid-AND TOP end. ive geared mine down and still take top end against a stock raptor.
handling is way better. suspension is way better.
i cant really say the raptor is better in any areas except comfort.
the yfz seat is like a piece of plywood wheres the raptor has a little cushion to it but who cares about that anyway.
woods dont require a lot of speed so if i was gonna be out all day ridin in the woods id pry take a raptor (but just so i dont end up with monkey butt eh smokin?) lol
and you know which one would win on the track.