PDA

View Full Version : New 200x

Crazyktmmatt
10-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Bought a 83 200x to replace the pain in the red.
Pretty happy for my new over priced purchase so far. Kinda wish it had more power is all. I guess I shoulda bought the 350x instead. It wasnt as nice tho.

Ride is great compared to the big red..... lol Let my wife ride the 200x when she broke the chain on her lt125 this weekend and now she wants another 4 wheeler- something thats rides better and handles.
Still cant convince her she needs to drop a wheel. :crazy::crazy:

f76
10-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Looks like a nice unit! Don't be discouraged by the "lack of power" compared to a 350x. I have both and yeah the 350x is a power beast and will walk around the 200x all day, but the 200x just feels lighter and more agile than my 350x. It's easy to ride and still has adequate power for only being 200 cc's. My advice, if you're really power thirsty, go buy a 350x. But keep the 200x.

Crazyktmmatt
10-14-2014, 11:36 PM
It is actually really nice. Its been garaged since new. Even has the orig. front tire it looks like.

Mostly needs more power in 4th and 5th gear. Out on the roads it seems to lack or wanting to slide it around corners in the taller gears. Im still used to the power of my old ktm 500 I used to have. 62hp plus down to 16? is a big jump lol.

I'll eventually get a 350x or even a 250r. Most likely buy a utility quad in between for the wife. Maybe I'll learn to ride slower then.

I seem to ride in 2 gears taller on the 200x vs the 200es. Its soooo nice having a light machine to play on.

Ive put on over a 100 miles on it since thursday.

terminal velcty
10-15-2014, 08:01 AM
I tend to agree with f76. Although I haven't owned either a 200x or 350x (yet).

I tend to think a lighter more nimble machine is better and can even be faster in certain areas (ie. tight/wooded) than, a more powerful but heavier machine. Each to their own I guess and of course personal preference will play a major part here. Although if it were me, I would keep the 200x but also be on the lookout for a 350x.

f76
10-15-2014, 12:07 PM
You can never go wrong buying both a 350x and 200x, unless your wife finds out...
I hear you on wanting more power in 4th and 5th. If you're running in the low range of rpm's and punch it expecting it to throw you backwards and really haul, you're expectations are pretty high. However if you downshift to 3rd from 4th or 4th from 5th and use the high rpm's, I think you'll be more satisfied. Forgive me if I'm preaching stuff you already know!

To get the most out of your 200x, you need to play the game right pertaining to your machine. Better use of power comes from the thing between your shoulders instead of fulling relying on the engine to do everything. I will say that driving a 350x is easier from the stand point that you can bog that engine down to nearly killing it then give it throttle and it will pull right out of it fairly easy. The 200x needs to drop down a gear to get the same feeling.

Again forgive me if you feel I'm lecturing or telling you stuff you already know. I figure it's better to cover all the bases instead of making assumptions. You know what they say about making assumptions...

yaegerb
10-15-2014, 12:17 PM
It is actually really nice. Its been garaged since new. Even has the orig. front tire it looks like.

Mostly needs more power in 4th and 5th gear. Out on the roads it seems to lack or wanting to slide it around corners in the taller gears. Im still used to the power of my old ktm 500 I used to have. 62hp plus down to 16? is a big jump lol.

I'll eventually get a 350x or even a 250r. Most likely buy a utility quad in between for the wife. Maybe I'll learn to ride slower then.

I seem to ride in 2 gears taller on the 200x vs the 200es. Its soooo nice having a light machine to play on.

Ive put on over a 100 miles on it since thursday.

200x in stock form is 13HP. Yes, compared to a KTM 500, it will feel less powerful...LOL. Unless you are planning to mod the motor don't expect to drift in 4th or 5th. Even with a highly modified motor most flat track racers on tight tracks never get out of 3rd.

Crazyktmmatt
10-15-2014, 02:24 PM
I can ride it just fine. The horse power bug is biting is my problem. The 200x was supposed to be some that handled that I could play on vs the big red.
I mod everything I touch. ( We wont mention 1st gen cummins and 400whp plus that was supposed to be just a convertor.)

I might lightly mod this one, port a head for it and some exhaust. - Its gonna be kept nice/ garage toyish. I'll eventually buy a spare (s) 350x, Id like a 250sx or even try a yamaha 225 with reverse or even buy a 4wd quad for the winter.